Author Topic: If available, why not just go after Kawhi instead of Lebron?  (Read 2821 times)

Offline CelticsQuestFor18

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27
Obviously Lebron is the best player in the league right now, hands down. But a healthy Kawhi Leonard is definitely Top-5 in the league and somewhere in the 3-4 range (depending on how you rank them in order between Kawhi and Davis).

People talk about the possibility of bringing in Lebron, but it's just complicated because we have no cap space and he's obviously not playing for MLE. Also, acquiring Lebron likely means a current max-player leaves and possibly a few more young players (and picks).

Meanwhile, Kawhi is scheduled to make 20M next year and while it would still take some players to help match salaries, it definitely wouldn't be as complicated is it would for Lebron, and likely wouldn't require trading away a current max player for him.

Kawhi is also the best "Lebron stopper" in the world and is proven in the playoffs too. Ainge knows superstars win in this league, and hypothetically adding Kawhi would mean we have a superstar and possibly two to three more emerging ones (Kyrie, Brown and/or Tatum - depending on exactly what the Kawhi trade is). It would also be a strategic move to keep him out of PHI/LAL, but also would sort of mitigate the effect of Lebron going to Philly (if we bring in Kawhi and bring back healthy Kyrie + Hayward).

Again, I said "if available", as I expect Kawhi and the Spurs sort it out and he stays put, but I just think if Kawhi does become available, Ainge will pounce or at least make an offer of sorts for him. Of course, we have to also assume his health checks out going forward.

Kawhi is not Lebron (no one is), but he's Top-5 in the league and if we're talking about adding another versatile, lengthy wing player, then it's probably wiser to go after Kawhi. It wouldn't mess up the current core as much as a Lebron sign and trade would, and adding Kawhi for sure should make us favorites to win it all next year (or 2nd best odds but right there with Golden State). Along with Kyrie, the Kawhi presents a huge mismatch problem for Golden State if we're talking a Finals appearance.

Re: If available, why not just go after Kawhi instead of Lebron?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2018, 03:07:20 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
If we're bringing in Kawhi, I would send Hayward out for him, plus Rozier, Yabusele, and two picks. Griz/Celtics.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2018, 03:09:15 PM »

• Brad Stevens
If we're bringing in Kawhi, I would send Hayward out for him, plus Rozier, Yabusele, and two picks. Griz/Celtics.

Bruh that pretty much contradicts what I said in the post LOL.

The framework for a deal could be done without a max player (like Hayward/Kyrie/Horford) being sent out, although it would definitely require one of Kings Pick/Jaylen being sent out too in the larger package.

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2018, 03:11:56 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

The framework for a deal could be done without a max player (like Hayward/Kyrie/Horford) being sent out, although it would definitely require one of Kings Pick/Jaylen being sent out too in the larger package.

I know that was on purpose lol.

All these LeBron/Kawhi/AD trade threads making my head spin.

How about we just keep the team as is, and if LeBron/Kawhi are really available, why not get both? LOL.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2018, 03:15:16 PM »

• Brad Stevens

I know that was on purpose lol.

All these LeBron/Kawhi/AD trade threads making my head spin.

How about we just keep the team as is, and if LeBron/Kawhi are really available, why not get both? LOL.

Haha TP. And yeah it's pretty insane Lebron-to-Boston is actually a thing in the NBA world right now (even if it's to a small extent). Davis clearly isn't available for at least another two years I imagine.

I'm perfectly fine keeping the team as is, but certainly would hope if Kawhi is on the market, the C's enter the sweepstakes to see if they can land him. Tatum and our max-players should be untouchable in the deal IMHO, but see if you can work a trade for him otherwise.

If Kawhi stays though, I'm fine with that. San Antonio still challenges Golden State out West with a healthy Kawhi, and PHI and LAL don't get him in that case (win - win situation for us).

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2018, 03:15:23 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
He’s also not, y’know, unbearable with his antics sometimes. Giving up part of our plethora of assets for Kawhi would be cool, but his potential contract extension is scary
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2018, 03:19:53 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
Idk, something seems off about Kawhi. Maybe it's true he sat out the season after seeing what happened with Isaiah, and wanted to make sure he's fully healthy for next year and going forward.

But the fact that he didn't even attend any of the Spurs playoff games (home ones) and that he didn't communicate much with the team and Pop over the course of the season screams "red flag" in my books.

Also seems like Kawhi's camp (mainly his uncle) is actually a bit of a problem. Not to the extent of LaVar Ball drama (lol), but still a bit of a problem.

Now that said, if we trade for Kawhi and he seems on board (and of course is healthy), then I'll be ecstatic.   8)
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2018, 03:42:59 PM »

• Brad Stevens
He’s also not, y’know, unbearable with his antics sometimes. Giving up part of our plethora of assets for Kawhi would be cool, but his potential contract extension is scary

What would a contract extension look like for Leonard with another team?

I know it's 5/219M super-max with San Antonio if he stays. What about if he is somewhere else?

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2018, 03:55:49 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Easier to sign LeBron vs trade for Leonard that's why you want LeBron.

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2018, 04:03:48 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
We aren’t going after anyone

Kahwi has an injury that hasn’t gone away. Huge red flag

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2018, 04:04:32 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
so you send Hayward out, making every future free agent never consider Boston ever again

Seems smart

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2018, 04:15:42 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
What a novel concept... I wonder why we haven't talked about this before...
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2018, 04:29:01 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
What a novel concept... I wonder why we haven't talked about this before...

Sometimes your delivery is perfect..   :)

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2018, 04:37:45 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
IMO, Kawhi was the best player in the league last year before he got hurt.  I have no idea what to think of him now, with whatever is going on down there. Obviously, if he's healthy and wants to be in Boston long term, you offer a mega deal for him.

But from what I've read, he wants to go to LA. SAS say they're not entertaining offers for him, but even if they were, he's probably not an option for us.

I also don't think Lebron is "hands down" the best any longer. First half of the year, no doubt he was. IMO, 2nd half of the season, AD was the best player in the league. Even better than LBJ. With all the Bamba/KAT trade ideas, I'll always hold out hope that Ainge keeps his powder dry for an AD deal, or just does nothing at all but build around the current guys.

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2018, 05:19:13 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Because all of the sudden, he is a malcontent, so I would not.   Run it back and add Hayward and Irving is my vote.