Author Topic: Flat Earth.  (Read 4632 times)

Flat Earth.
« on: November 22, 2017, 12:24:10 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150

Re: Flat Earth.
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2017, 12:52:04 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
That honestly reads like an article in The Onion.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2017, 04:23:15 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
That honestly reads like an article in The Onion.

Maybe so but it made me smile and think of Kyrie...

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2017, 07:40:23 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I refuse to waste my time reading the article but from the title, I hope the guy does it.  It's the experiment that will prove him wrong.

As far as Kyrie goes, I still can't figure if he was sincere.  I still honestly hope he was only trying to prove a point.

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2017, 07:44:49 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
I refuse to waste my time reading the article but from the title, I hope the guy does it.  It's the experiment that will prove him wrong.

As far as Kyrie goes, I still can't figure if he was sincere.  I still honestly hope he was only trying to prove a point.
If I remember correctly, he was on Toucher & Rich and basically admitted he was trolling people. I think his poit was for people to question/research etc and not take everything as fact just because. Or at least that is the way I interpret is flat earth stuff.

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2017, 08:22:21 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Do flat-earthers explain why no person has fallen off the edge of the flat disc we’re all living on?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2017, 01:30:40 PM »

Online gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
I think Kyrie was sincerely questioning whether the earth was flat. That being said, he covered himself by saying he just wanted people to question even the most basic beliefs (which I also think was a sincere point he was trying to make).

I hope everyone questions whether the earth is flat. Basic math and science can tell you it is not. But the exercise of questioning is important. There are many people who accept that the world is round, but do so based solely on belief in what they've been told. While the results of this method may be correct, the process by which they arrive at the correct answer is no better than those who advocate a flat earth position.

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2017, 02:22:07 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
I think Kyrie was sincerely questioning whether the earth was flat. That being said, he covered himself by saying he just wanted people to question even the most basic beliefs (which I also think was a sincere point he was trying to make).

I hope everyone questions whether the earth is flat. Basic math and science can tell you it is not. But the exercise of questioning is important. There are many people who accept that the world is round, but do so based solely on belief in what they've been told. While the results of this method may be correct, the process by which they arrive at the correct answer is no better than those who advocate a flat earth position.
Yes it is.  Those who follow the scientific logic vs. those who just look around.  Huge difference.

That said, I wholeheartedly agree that questioning is always a good thing.

On what basis do you think Kyrie was sincerely questioning whether the earth is flat?  He was trying to make a point (your point too) that it is useful to question and not just accept.

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2017, 02:55:06 PM »

Offline CelticsFanFromNYC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 137
Do flat-earthers explain why no person has fallen off the edge of the flat disc we’re all living on?

Supposedly were surrounded by giant ice walls and we are not allowed to fly over it

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2017, 02:57:06 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Come on, Roy - you are being so closed-minded. Don't you know anything??

VICE: OK, so you say the Earth is a flat disk surrounded by ice, and that all of that ice is Antarctica, right? So then how could so many explorers cross the continent in the past?

Yudi: There's no such thing as the edge of the Earth. There is only an ice border surrounding the circle—it's what we call Antarctica. Why are we so sure that Antarctica isn't a continent? Because, so far, there's no human expedition route that splits Antarctica in two, from one edge to the other, in only one straight line. The line is always bent or curved.

So far nobody can break through its 'gates,' which are the ice walls of Antarctica. From the colonizers, we learned that the farther we go, the more extreme the weather gets

https://www.vice.com/en_id/article/a3dnep/10-questions-you-always-wanted-to-ask-a-flat-earth-conspiracy-theorist

Interesting article from the 'other side.' In all seriousness, though - if Kyrie really is trolling us by trying to get us to question everything and using this as his basis, I wish he would just come out with it. I get that it is fun to have people hang on your every word when you are a celebrity, but this whole thing has gotten out of hand...and it is getting a little old.

If he really does believe this stuff, well, then, I am happy to have him on the Cs for his basketball skills...
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 03:02:07 PM by jambr380 »

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2017, 03:01:11 PM »

Online gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

Yes it is.  Those who follow the scientific logic vs. those who just look around.  Huge difference.

On what basis do you think Kyrie was sincerely questioning whether the earth is flat?  He was trying to make a point (your point too) that it is useful to question and not just accept.

I think you may want to re-read my statement. I did not say there was not a difference. I said it [the process by which they formed belief] was no better. In absolute terms, it could be argued that one or the other is better, but we have no way to measure all of its ramifications so that would remain hypothetical. To make the point, I'm happy to stick "no better".

My belief that Kyrie was sincere is just speculation based on many factors including the topic, subsequent follow-up, and other things Kyrie has stated. I guess we'd have to be in Kyrie's head to know for sure, but I don't think he was purely trolling.

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2017, 03:20:54 PM »

Online gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
I did an interesting thought experiment recently. I imagined being the only human on earth, with no pre-existing science or math or historical knowledge or record, but otherwise with the same mental capacity I have now [insert self-deprecating joke here].

For the purposes of the thought experiment, I would not have to worry that much about survival. I would just live my life with relative ease and plenty of time to wonder and think.

I wondered if I would think that the earth was flat. I'm sure it wouldn't be one of the first questions to come to mind.

As I thought more about it, I realized that a more immediate error might be likely. Would I even think there was an 'end' to any part of the world? Why wouldn't I think that it went on forever in any or every direction? I would likely not figure it out through travel, and developing the math and science procedures to figure it out without prior knowledge would not be likely (unless I was immortal maybe).

It probably wouldn't be my main concern, but I'm convinced that I might just assume the earth keeps going.

Unless there is a default setting in the human mind for the finite nature of its environment. I don't know of a time in history where the earth was presumed to be endless. Does anyone else? It could just be that by the time we achieved civilization and record-keeping, the bounds of the earth had been determined, even if only in theory.

I'm sure others would figure it out much faster than I would. But my honest assessment is that I don't think I would discover this on my own if I lived a normal adult lifetime by myself. Maybe there's something I'm missing now that would be obvious to me in this scenario. Or a need that would drive me to its discovery. I'm not sure.

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2017, 03:45:13 PM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
I spent a great deal of time a few years ago digging through the FES (flat earth society) page and forums after a coworker mentioned these people exist (I thought he was joking).

It's a shame that most people (flat or round earth) take the approach of defending their position at all costs instead of actually listening and changing their minds. I saw people getting shown irrefutable evidence (physics, flight times, etc.) and having a canned response to each one:

How can I be sure that is how long the flight is? I've never personally been on it.
How can I be sure those are real earth pictures? I've never been in space.

Sorry, but if this was my passion in life and I truly wanted to find out the truth, I'd get on the Johannesburg to Auckland flight ASAP to see that it's impossibly short in their world.

It's like watching a CNN interview and seeing someone have to squirm their way out of something.

Basically my rule in life is to not try to convince strangers of anything. It's just not worth the time. As for flat earhers, Just accept that they are not as evolved to reason their way to the truth.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 03:55:18 PM by Erik »

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2017, 04:14:44 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
Hey, if Kyrie keeps playing the way he did in Dallas, I'm good with the Earth being flat.

We all have to make trade-offs.

Mike

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2017, 04:31:00 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell

I think you may want to re-read my statement. I did not say there was not a difference. I said it [the process by which they formed belief] was no better. In absolute terms, it could be argued that one or the other is better, but we have no way to measure all of its ramifications so that would remain hypothetical. To make the point, I'm happy to stick "no better".

My belief that Kyrie was sincere is just speculation based on many factors including the topic, subsequent follow-up, and other things Kyrie has stated. I guess we'd have to be in Kyrie's head to know for sure, but I don't think he was purely trolling.
I did re-read your statement and I'm happy to stick by "huge difference".  The process is completely different.  One person understands science and logic which puts them at a distinct advantage over the other person who only believes what they can feel, see, smell or touch.  The scientific process is indeed better (strictly speaking, it is an added advantage as scientists do not reject the senses) and in fact we can measure all of the ramifications, so not hypothetical at all.

I'm glad to let you have your opinion about Kyrie's sincerity, I just don't see the basis for it.