Author Topic: What did we get for the Rozier Sign and Trade?  (Read 4337 times)

Re: What did we get for the Rozier Sign and Trade?
« Reply #45 on: July 01, 2019, 12:01:36 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
how does a sign and trade work involving Walker and Rozier?

what does Hornets get out of it? What would the Celts?

can a cap expert lay it down .....

I'd like to know this too. I'm not too familiar with base level compensation and all that stuff as it applies here.

As a BYC player, Rozier's starting year salary (around $18M) will only count as half for outgoing trade salary - so roughly $9M. We'd then just renounce the rights to the rest of our free agents sans Theis and take the rest of Kemba's salary into the remaining cap room that we have.

The problem with this route is it only gives us access to the Room Exception as a team using cap space to sign players, which is only $4.7M or so. If we include a third team do a S&T with either Horford or Kyrie and then use that TPE in the trade for Kemba, that allows us access to the Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level Exception of around $9.3M as a team over the cap. This is why we are trying to get Kyrie or Horford to do a S&T with us.

EDIT: But hey, if we could get Wily out of this that might not be too bad. He's a solid young center prospect.

so like the other user asked

what was the point of this trade?

Celts would have the mid level exception regardless of sign and trade...

why would the Celts be better off doing a S&T and why would Hornets be better off?

Why would the Hornets likely need to include some kind of compensation?

The Hornets needed to do a S&T to get Rozier. They’re giving us a presumably small asset to facilitate that deal.

This.

Specifically, there are two reasons to do this:

First, this allows the possibility of adding a third team to the deal with a S&T of Horford or Kyrie, which as stated above gives us access to a higher exception to use on a player.

Second, if not a three-team deal, this is a bit of goodwill to Charlotte, who couldn't have signed Rozier otherwise. So not only will we be able to get some compensation for helping them out if it's just a two-team deal (come on Willy!), it also shows goodwill around the league and builds rapport with Charlotte for future potential trades, along with facilitating Rozier getting a big contract. Good optics and relationship-building at the very least.

I see only benefit/evil reasons why Danny participated  ;D

goodwill Danny?  lol

but you are right, lots of parties benefit from this transaction.  Terry is a rich man

I really do hope the Celts get Willy in return.  Hornets already have Biyombo, Zeller and just drafted Pj Washington

Willy and 2nd round pick would be a fine return imo

« Reply #46 on: July 01, 2019, 12:03:36 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Do we at least get a TPE in the rozier sign and trade?  If so, how much?  I would think this alone would be enough motivation to facilitate the sign and trade.  Because even if we strike out trying to sign a center, we can always use the TPE to try to trade for one at some point in the season.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #47 on: July 01, 2019, 12:04:08 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
how does a sign and trade work involving Walker and Rozier?

what does Hornets get out of it? What would the Celts?

can a cap expert lay it down .....

I'd like to know this too. I'm not too familiar with base level compensation and all that stuff as it applies here.

As a BYC player, Rozier's starting year salary (around $18M) will only count as half for outgoing trade salary - so roughly $9M. We'd then just renounce the rights to the rest of our free agents sans Theis and take the rest of Kemba's salary into the remaining cap room that we have.

The problem with this route is it only gives us access to the Room Exception as a team using cap space to sign players, which is only $4.7M or so. If we include a third team do a S&T with either Horford or Kyrie and then use that TPE in the trade for Kemba, that allows us access to the Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level Exception of around $9.3M as a team over the cap. This is why we are trying to get Kyrie or Horford to do a S&T with us.

EDIT: But hey, if we could get Wily out of this that might not be too bad. He's a solid young center prospect.

thanks for some details...

so like the other user asked

what was the point of this trade?

Celts would have the mid level exception regardless of sign and trade...

why would the Celts be better off doing a S&T and why would Hornets be better off?

Why would the Hornets likely need to include some kind of compensation?
I would guess a 2nd round draft pick.

Can't see Danny/Celts doing all of this work..... preventing Rozier from pre-signing with the Suns etc.

just for a 2nd round pick

« Reply #48 on: July 01, 2019, 12:08:45 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
Do we at least get a TPE in the rozier sign and trade?  If so, how much?  I would think this alone would be enough motivation to facilitate the sign and trade.  Because even if we strike out trying to sign a center, we can always use the TPE to try to trade for one at some point in the season.

Nope.

Likely will get something like Willy or Cleveland's second round pick in 2020 for compensation.

« Reply #49 on: July 01, 2019, 12:09:34 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
without involving other major pieces

Celts can't obtain(from this transaction) Cody Zeller right?

why I ask this is, CBS apparently was a fan of this guy

I'm not a fan of Zeller....  :-X

« Reply #50 on: July 01, 2019, 12:13:10 AM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307

Adam Himmelsbach
‏Verified account @AdamHimmelsbach

Some clarity on the Rozier/Kemba sign-and-trade: The Cs did this to keep options open for potential three-team sign-and-trades. But even if it stays as a 2-team transaction, Boston is expected to receive some compensation from the Hornets.