Author Topic: Tatum's Role With Hayward Out  (Read 5614 times)

Tatum's Role With Hayward Out
« on: November 10, 2019, 01:17:13 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Through the first 8 games, Tatum's AST% is basically the same as it was last season (9.9% this year, 10.0 last). I had hoped to see some improvement with his playmaking but with Kemba, Hayward, and Smart being asked to be ballhandlers, Tatum's role has mostly been shooter.

With Hayward out, I'll be watching Tatum closely to see if his role shifts a little to be more of a playmaker and how he responds to that.

4 assists last night. I'd love to see that turn into an average.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Re: Tatum's Role With Hayward Out
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2019, 01:35:16 PM »

Offline ferguson

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 2
Tatum still holds the ball too long.  He is doing better than in the past but when watching the Celtics he is the ball stopper on this team.  Like I said he is doing better but still needs to play within the flow of the game.

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2019, 01:46:50 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
I don’t see how Tatum’s playmaking will improve with Hayward out.

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2019, 02:00:06 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I don’t see how Tatum’s playmaking will improve with Hayward out.
Yeah, I don't see Tatum's playmaking getting better in just a few weeks but he might rack up a bit more assists. I just don't think it will be a lot.

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2019, 02:43:06 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
Through the first 8 games, Tatum's AST% is basically the same as it was last season (9.9% this year, 10.0 last). I had hoped to see some improvement with his playmaking but with Kemba, Hayward, and Smart being asked to be ballhandlers, Tatum's role has mostly been shooter.

With Hayward out, I'll be watching Tatum closely to see if his role shifts a little to be more of a playmaker and how he responds to that.

4 assists last night. I'd love to see that turn into an average.

To fill Hayward's role you need to have vision and understand how the play is likely to unfold. That's how you can then control the pace of the game and make the right reads to either pass or shoot. I think that's something that evolves with time at the NBA level. I doubt JT learns that in a few weeks but I don't see why he can't develop that over the next couple of years if he keeps on making the right reads.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2019, 02:46:46 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I don't see Tatum being much of a playmaker, so his role without Hayward would be almost unchanged. Maybe he'll ball hog more.

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2019, 06:30:32 PM »

Offline Valid

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27
I don't think he'll become more of a playmaker. If anything he'll score more.

The guy that will have to assume a bigger role in terms of playmaking is Smart, and that's fine because he has already developed into a fine playmaker as it is. Heck, even Wanamaker will have to have a bigger role with Hayward sidelined.

I think Tatum can become a solid playmaker down the line, because he does have decent floor vision and is a pretty good passer, but he's just not there yet, and I don't think he'll suddenly get there over the next few weeks.

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2019, 06:59:07 PM »

Offline 18isGREATERthan72

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 34
I think Brown has a better chance of taking on that playmaker role than Tatum right now..

Tatum has this bad habit of catching a pass off of a teammates penetration and sort of standing still for a half count allowing the defense to work it's way back into position.  Then Tatum sizes up the guy that is on him and proceeds to dribble back and forth and ultimately settle for a jumpshot or half heartedly attacks the basket and then throws his arms up when he doesn't get bailed out by the refs despite little to no contact.

Brown catches and immediately attacks, and has shown this season the ability to pass out of these drives.  I certainly hope Tatum picks up on his tendencies to be a ball stopper and work to correct them, but I actually see Jaylen as a better passer as the secondary guy, more than Tatum right now.

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2019, 08:25:06 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
This thread was about Tatum, not Brown right?

The key to Brad's offense is to make the right play each time, sometimes that's moving the ball, sometimes it's making the shot.

Tatum has been evolving this season in a positive direction, let's just see what he can do.

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2019, 08:48:59 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I don't see much changing. And now with Hayward out, I would love to see JB and JT at the 2 and 3 with Theis at the 4 and Robert at the 5. Beef up the front court and give Williams more playing time. More playing time means he can only get better (I'm sure they'll be growing pains along the way, but that's the only way to learn.)

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2019, 03:10:29 AM »

Offline Greyman

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 211
I am interested to see who starts. I doubt JT gets any change to his role. There is no replacing same with same so you have to attack things another way, and I think that is starting Smart.

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2019, 07:49:24 AM »

Online CelticsPoetry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
I don't see much changing. And now with Hayward out, I would love to see JB and JT at the 2 and 3 with Theis at the 4 and Robert at the 5. Beef up the front court and give Williams more playing time. More playing time means he can only get better (I'm sure they'll be growing pains along the way, but that's the only way to learn.)
We sacrifice quite a bit of offense that way

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2019, 10:27:59 AM »

Offline #1P4P

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 140
JT and Kemba are tied in leading the team in FGA at 18.3. He's getting his share of opportunities. If anyone benefits offensively from Hayward's absence it's JB, who's averaging 13 FGA and deserves an increase in opportunities.

Grant and Semi will probably be getting Hayward's minutes.

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2019, 11:54:22 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
JT and Kemba are tied in leading the team in FGA at 18.3. He's getting his share of opportunities. If anyone benefits offensively from Hayward's absence it's JB, who's averaging 13 FGA and deserves an increase in opportunities.

I'm hoping that Javonte Green gets more of those minutes than Semi does. We want to keep some of that offensive pressure on the other team that having four scorers gives us. Splitting the extra shots between Brown and Green will do that. Semi is strictly a defender.

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2019, 12:18:20 PM »

Offline bellerephon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 52

I'm hoping that Javonte Green gets more of those minutes than Semi does. We want to keep some of that offensive pressure on the other team that having four scorers gives us. Splitting the extra shots between Brown and Green will do that. Semi is strictly a defender.
I think it's very likely that Green gets more time rather than Semi. Looks to me like Semi is the 12th man on the active roster at this point. He'll get time for tough defensive assignments, but I don't think he'll be part of the regular rotation. Wouldn't surprise me to see Romeo play ahead of Semi, doesn't make sense to call him up from Maine if all he's going to do is ride the bench.