Author Topic: Hayward and Semi for Aaron Gordon, Bamba, Aminu  (Read 6416 times)

Hayward and Semi for Aaron Gordon, Bamba, Aminu
« on: January 20, 2020, 03:28:58 PM »

Offline jbp126

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 51
The title says the basics. I'd include ours or the bucks' 2020 first rounder, but I'm sure plenty will hate it already for trading Hayward. Just thinking of intriguing names who could be available outside the usual ones.

Why the Cs do it: Gets us younger, gives us another 6'7ish athletic guy and one who can play the 4 and defend multiple positions, gives us another center prospect in Bamba

Why the Magic does it: Gives them a wing that can play alongside Isaac when healthy in Hayward, solid backup 3/4 in Semi, possible draft assets.

Re: Hayward and Semi for Aaron Gordon, Bamba, Aminu
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2020, 03:49:21 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
I actually like it for both teams.

Aaron Gordon is a legit defender, could actually reach All-NBA level if he were in a better situation where he could show it off more like Boston. Having a guy like that to smother the likes of Giannis and Simmons in the playoffs would be huge. Very reasonable contract as well.

I like Hayward, but the experiment just hasn’t worked out.

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2020, 03:49:43 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Good trade for The Celtics but The Magic hang up on this one...

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2020, 04:01:15 PM »

Offline jbp126

• Jaylen Brown
My gut was that we'd have to add some draft capital. I'd honestly throw in the Memphis pick and another first of ours from 2020. We have too many rookies this year and it hasn't helped our depth.

Orlando could use more scoring from the point but they also need wings who can play next to Isaac. They also have too many bigs. I think they'd move on from Gordon for the right price, and I think he could develop better on another team where he could play the 4 more.

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2020, 04:10:31 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Pass. Bamba is basically the same as RWilliams at this stage, and Gordon has seemingly already dropped off since his peak.

Plus, would make our shooting woes dramatically worse. Pass
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2020, 05:09:24 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Disappointed to see A.Gordon drop off this season.

This is more of a building with youth trade. It all depends on how much you can get out Mo Bamba. If he can be a top 15 center, you win this deal. If not, you lose. Either way you take a step back in the short term.

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2020, 05:19:23 PM »

Offline jbp126

• Jaylen Brown
Pass. Bamba is basically the same as RWilliams at this stage, and Gordon has seemingly already dropped off since his peak.

You're right about it not helping our shooting, but that could be addressed by adding another scoring guard. Bamba would be a redundancy with Williams but his injuries have me concerned.

I think Gordon can come into his own a little more in a new situation where he can play the 4 full-time. He doesn't have superstar potential but he's a very good defender and could be more effective if he played within a role on offense.

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2020, 05:28:23 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
that would be a pure rip off trade

Magic would never do that

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2020, 05:29:31 PM »

Offline BMark

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 16
This would be like the 1987 trade where the CS dealt Ainge for Joe Klein and Pinckney.  Cs gave up the best player in the trade to get two young bigs.

Gordon is not a floor spacer yet but he is a good defender at the 4.  I would certainly not reject Bamba becuz we have RWilliams.  Bamba has a decent 3 point release and is longer than RWill.

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2020, 06:18:59 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
At this point I would do this trade if I am DA.  Seems really risky for the Magic.

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2020, 06:19:02 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Good trade for The Celtics but The Magic hang up on this one...

thinking its a prank call  ;)

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2020, 06:41:32 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Trying to imagine the ppl who hate smart’s shot selection having to watch Gordon.  Shoots 29% from 3, still takes four a game. Overall TS% of .504.

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2020, 07:05:09 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I would love to add Gordon to the Cs and think he could easily slot in at the 4 - he is also signed for two more years after this one (with his salary declining). The proposed deal seems to be a bit too much (with Bamba included), but with the Magic already having Vucevic and Isaac as starting level bigs, I could almost see them seeing Hayward as a better fit.

I am perfectly happy moving forward with Hayward and still think he gives the Cs the best chance to succeed, but trading Hayward for Gordon is much more interesting to me than trading him for an expiring Drummond or T. Thompson.

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2020, 07:49:26 PM »

Offline jbp126

• Jaylen Brown
Like most trades on this forum, I'll admit it favors the Cs. However, Orlando would be getting some kind of draft assets, a potential better player/fit in Hayward, and cap relief by taking on Aminu and/or if Hayward leaves.

For the Cs, shooting would be a problem and it'd have to be addressed in other moves. It would also be a gamble on Gordon improving as a shooter to become somewhere near average from outside. At the least he gives us intriguing defensive lineups.

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2020, 07:53:33 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

You're right about it not helping our shooting, but that could be addressed by adding another scoring guard. Bamba would be a redundancy with Williams but his injuries have me concerned.

I think Gordon can come into his own a little more in a new situation where he can play the 4 full-time. He doesn't have superstar potential but he's a very good defender and could be more effective if he played within a role on offense.
you're not addressing any of the current scoring problems.  Gordon is backsliding and Bamba hasn't shown anything yet.  not giving up Hayward for that package.