Author Topic: danny should've taken CDR over JR  (Read 5861 times)

Re: danny should've taken CDR over JR
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2009, 11:58:44 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I'd rather have Chalmers than JR or CDR.  But I agree that the jury's still out on JR.  He fits in with Danny's M.O. of drafting players who have a ton of talent but whose stock dropped for some reason - JR for his initial attitude problems and transfer, Walker and Powe for their knees, Baby for his size, etc, etc.  Not all of those are going to pan out, but I think it's a sound philosophy that's had way more hits than your average late 1st/2nd rd picks.

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2009, 12:32:34 PM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
I don't understand the fascination with CDR.

I honestly think it has a lot to do with his initials.

« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2009, 12:47:06 PM »

Offline CoachCowens

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 9
Is Donny Marshall dating CDR?  I've never seen a commentator gush over another player for doing abslolutely nothing like Marshall does to CDR.  I agree he's going to be a journeyman.  Marshall thinks he's the 2nd coming of Kobe.  I was sick of the gushing early in the season last year and he's still at it.  Yuck.

Donny Marshall is the CDR of Celtics broadcasts. Just not good enough to be a starter on a good team.

« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2009, 12:50:22 PM »

Offline bbd24

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 118
How can you even judge a guy like J.R. when your roster is this stacked ?  Is he suppose to start ahead of Paul Pierce ? Maybe garner minutes over Marquis Daniels, Big Baby ?

I love the guys body.  Love his skill set and attitude.  He has two jobs to do this year.  Come in play defense and rebound.  Thats it. Then improve in practice everywhere else.

I can't say I'd rather have Chalmers, CDR, or anybody in that category.  I'd have to see J.R. more than what we've seen.  Regardless, guys like Chalmers and CDR aren't cracking this teams lineup anyways.  So the point is mute for now.  I'd like Giddens to just keep working and getting better.  He's going up against all stars night in and night out, and thats exactly what you want as a GM or Coach.  Only way to get better.

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2009, 01:20:30 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
How can you even judge a guy like J.R. when your roster is this stacked ?  Is he suppose to start ahead of Paul Pierce ? Maybe garner minutes over Marquis Daniels, Big Baby ?

I love the guys body.  Love his skill set and attitude.  He has two jobs to do this year.  Come in play defense and rebound.  Thats it. Then improve in practice everywhere else.

I can't say I'd rather have Chalmers, CDR, or anybody in that category.  I'd have to see J.R. more than what we've seen.  Regardless, guys like Chalmers and CDR aren't cracking this teams lineup anyways.  So the point is mute for now.  I'd like Giddens to just keep working and getting better.  He's going up against all stars night in and night out, and thats exactly what you want as a GM or Coach.  Only way to get better.

So you don't think a guy who averaged 5 assists per game as a rookie, shot .367 from three, and can play pure point, allowing Marquis to back up the 2/3 and eddie to exclusively backup the 2 spot could get 10 mpg on this team? I am speaking of chalmers, of course.

« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2009, 01:30:54 PM »

Offline SalmonAndMashedPotatoes

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 119
I agree with others in saying there were better players available at 30, like Luc Mbah a Moute, or Chalmers, or even Jordan, who has put up some impressive lines from time to time...

As for CDR v. Giddens, Danny had them both in to a predraft workout at Healthpoint, had them go at each other one-on-one, and it was reported that Giddens completely dominated CDR, which pretty much eliminated CDR from Danny's list, and elevated Giddens.

Those raps still ring true today.  Giddens is still a fantastic one-on-one player, with great defensive skills.  His main problem (at which he is improving) is playing in a 5-on-5 game, and meshing his iso-centric game into the role available for him on the Cs.  CDR may be more game ready right now, and more comfortable on the offensive end, but if Giddens can continue to sublimate his game for the team game, he will be the better player long term...
Folly. Persist.

« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2009, 02:03:13 PM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason
A lot of us said this on draft night too.  Talent wise, absolutely, CDR is and has been better than JR.  But part of being a GM is managing the playing time/financial aspect as well...maybe that factored into it?
God bless and good night!

« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2009, 02:13:31 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
CDR is not a good defender.  If Giddens were on the Nets, he'd be playing alot more minutes too.

They're both on the NBA fringe, quite frankly.  Luc Mbah a Moute is better than either of them, and that's who Ainge should have taken.  But hindsight is always 20-20, and it was not entirely clear on draft night that Mbah a Moute would be the best of the three.

« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2009, 02:37:15 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
I'm pretty much done defending JR. I thought coming out of college he'd be able to contribute right away with his defense and rebounding. This clearly isn't the case. I've pretty much thrown a lot of blame on Doc, but seeing Hudson out there makes me see it's not Doc. Giddens isn't ready to play in the NBA, he's ok defensively and lost offensively. He moves around the court like he doesn't know what he's doing. At his age he isn't a player you keep around as a prospect, and he's probably not going to get much better than he is now.

CDR, Chalmers, and Jordan would've been better picks at 30 just because of their upside. I doubt they would've gotten significant playing time with us right away, but they'd be nice players just to keep around.

« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2009, 02:37:34 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280

Haha i've actually thought this as well. Lets refer to our guy as JRG and see if his stock rises.

« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2009, 02:39:40 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Time will tell ... I think it's way too early to make this kind of judgement, but I think, in the long run, we got the right guy.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2009, 04:39:14 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Drafting giddens and walker have shown to be miscalculations by danny. Though i do blame the coaching staff for not giving giddens more chances to prove why he was drafted 30th. He hasn't done bad this past off season seeing some minutes

Still was hoping to death that night the celtics wouldn't pass up on Jordan. Not many 7 feet guys with his athletism don't come around too often. He probably won't be a star but he is looking more and more like the next poor mans dwight howard.

Don't really care for CDR nor Chalmers who are like chris duhon where they can play but may also get burnt on many situations back. I've seen duhon get like 25 pts one game but also on numerous occasions score 5 pts while giving up 20 pts on a nightly basis to opposing pg's.

« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2009, 05:20:16 PM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason

Haha i've actually thought this as well. Lets refer to our guy as JRG and see if his stock rises.

I thought it was the tattoo of a book or whatever on his shoulder.
God bless and good night!

« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2009, 05:21:09 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
Time will tell ... I think it's way too early to make this kind of judgement, but I think, in the long run, we got the right guy.

Hard to tell at this point, but it was always hard to get too excited about a guy who was 23 years old playing against 18 year olds and was still just good.

« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2009, 06:27:05 PM »

Offline GKC

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 80
  • !@#$%
Biggest thing is not taking Blair ahead of Lester. I know Lester is a lower risk move, but Blair could mean not signing Sheldon Williams. Blairs a bruiser.
[img width= height= alt=]http://www.thegarz.net/Core/lucky.jpg[/img]

Never Forget

"Just because I stand over you doesn't mean you understand me" - Qwel