Author Topic: Scal Chant  (Read 7401 times)

Re: Scal Chant
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2009, 05:41:18 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
Bass~Thumper, do you actually beleive the things your saying in this thread?

« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2009, 06:19:35 PM »

Offline GKC

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 80
  • !@#$%
Actually, people only seem to start chanting his name when he does something like hit a couple 3's and make a good stop. For a role player that does more than he's asked of, I think he deserves a chant.

Seriously, role players doing more than their asked deserve chanting. That's why Eddie's name gets chanted more than KG, Ray or Rondo (probably ranked 2nd in personal chants besides Pierce's MVP chant)
[img width= height= alt=]http://www.thegarz.net/Core/lucky.jpg[/img]

Never Forget

"Just because I stand over you doesn't mean you understand me" - Qwel

« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2009, 07:26:54 PM »

Offline NextCeltic34

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
I hate when they chant his name.

« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2009, 07:54:39 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2526
I don't like any mocking chants, even when they are aimed at the opponents. But that doesn't mean folks shouldn't have the right to do it.  I don't contribute to mocking chants (nor do I 'boo' opponents) because I think it's unecessary and it doesn't add to my enjoyment of the game.  Obviously, others enjoy doing it. 

Regarding Scal, there is no question that it began as a 'mock', but a mock with some added resentment unlike the Terry Duerod or Hank Finkel or Greg Kite 'scrub' mocks of yesteryear. Scal's mock HAD resentment because folks not only considered him a scrub, but also considered him overpaid and useless.  However, the last year or so, knowledgeable fans have seen value in Scal and the mocking cheers have become a little more genuine (at least for some) -- more along the lines of Walter.  It's clearly a bit much, but anyone who is purely mocking Scal at this point hasn't been watching his performance over the past couple of seasons.  He stays within his role, works hard, plays decent defense (team 'D' and sometimes on man), hits 3's (sometimes in the clutch) and seems to be a great teammate.  All that is worthy of real cheers.

« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2009, 08:00:15 PM »

Offline KJ33

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 78
The chant started several years ago in garbage time, the only time Scal ever played.  Like has been stated, there has always been an end of the bench fan favorite who fans wanted to see get shots/points late in blowouts, the precursor to Gino. 

The problem is, and it shows a high degree of ignorance on the part of many fans, is that in recent years, while Scal has played sparingly, his minutes have been important ones, at important parts of the game.  Unfortunately, this has been lost on the chanters, who treat every time Scal touches the ball with a palpable roar for him to shoot, even if he is guarded or 30 ft. from the hoop.  That people would even want him to chuck it up in an important part of the game is hard to fathom.

I don't see it exactly as mocking, most of it is genuinely affectionate, just very misplaced and ill-timed. 

« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2009, 08:02:24 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5350
  • Thumper of the BASS!
when the chant started, lets be honest....it was in a sarcastic way bc he was a "goofy white guy" that was considered a scrub. 

however, over the years, i think the chant has transformed into a term of endearment.

Liked for the wrong reasons. I believe the fans truly like him, but it's because he's the chubby goofy redhead whiteguy. Not because of anything he's actually done on the court.

scal over baby

playoff run baby improved as he played

what if Scalabrine got more time on the wood....

scal already has a release like bird~

I feel like you were laughing hysterically while typing this post. I honestly can't tell if you like Scal or if your comments about him are all sarcastic.

To be fair Scal didn't stink as much post concussion when he was actually hitting open shots.

im not making fun os scal..

people had terrible nick names

man boobs and so..i like scal..i cheer for him to do good so doc would give him more minute..i cheered for powe pimpin when evrybody was sayin trade him..

hobbs knows i like scalabrine and i do belive he has a bird like release when he shoots..

« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2009, 08:04:08 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Thumper of the BASS!
Bass~Thumper, do you actually beleive the things your saying in this thread?

yes every word..

« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2009, 08:46:01 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
when the chant started, lets be honest....it was in a sarcastic way bc he was a "goofy white guy" that was considered a scrub. 

however, over the years, i think the chant has transformed into a term of endearment.

I think it is kinda like the way Notre Dame cheered when Rudy got a sack. Is that wrong?

my post wasnt saying i agree with the chant or not.....just giving my opinion of how/why it is done.  personally, i could careless about it.

« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2009, 09:43:33 PM »

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg

I think it is kinda like the way Notre Dame cheered when Rudy got a sack. Is that wrong?

my post wasnt saying i agree with the chant or not.....just giving my opinion of how/why it is done.  personally, i could careless about it.

It is kind of like that Rudy scene. One really long, repeated Rudy chant, at least in the Garden. The people in Connecticut where behind the times--using the chant as a way to mock Scal much like it was in the Garden when it first appeared. Now the Scal chant is endearing...just not in Connecticut.
Grab a few boards, keep the TO's under 14, close out on shooters and we'll win.

« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2009, 10:02:39 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Thumper of the BASS!
i thought to be a celtics fan yoou like the team as a whole..not certain playas

kurt rambis

not the best but he gave 100%

fans loved him

« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2009, 10:11:19 PM »

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg

kurt rambis

fans loved him

I think the whole point of what most people (at least me and DL) are saying is that the chant has morphed into something positive.

That's supporting the whole team, not just certain players. 

« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2009, 11:52:15 PM »

Offline Texstyles

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 44

kurt rambis

fans loved him

I think the whole point of what most people (at least me and DL) are saying is that the chant has morphed into something positive.

You can think what you want but it is mockery.  If you want it to be positive then like I said earlier in this post, Do It When The Ball Goes Through The Net,  but if it is done every time he touches the ball, it is mockery.  You can flip it or explain it in what ever way you want but that is what it is in my, many fans, D.Marshalls, and Scals opinion,  and that you can not change.

Earlier in this post I heard a reference about the Ricky chant from the Bucket Brigade.  I was a member of the Bucket Brigade and if their are any other members in hear they will prob. remember this. That year Scal had a blog attached to the Celtics page but stopped blogging all of sudden.  When a memeber from the group asked the Celtics Rep. why he stopped she said " Scal said why bother all these fan do here is make fun of me."  So if you don't think stuff like this doesn't bother him, you are wrong.  All I was saying when I started this post was that the chant was getting old,  and as a Celtics fan I think it does more harm then good, which i do not like to see.

« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2009, 12:52:38 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Personally, I think it's a bit of both ... I think there are those who sincerely love the guy, for his energy, knowledge of the game, Celtic Pride, heritage, orange hair ... whatever. I also believe there are those who are using the chant as a mock, though the optimist in me hopes it's mostly the former. Whatever you think about the guy, he's got plenty of heart, and I think he's the kind of player that Red would be proud to have on his team. While I really like the guy, I have mixed emotions when it comes to his staying here, mainly because of his inconsistency ... I'll leave it at that.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2009, 01:39:36 AM »

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg

kurt rambis

fans loved him

You can think what you want but it is mockery. 

Uhh... it kinda sounds like I can't think what I want. But either way I refer you to Bahku's post as I think it puts an end to this "false dichotomy" we have created. Its definitely a little bit of both; we should both realize that.

« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2009, 03:55:24 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
I wasn't a big fan of Scal's until KG went down last season. When that happened and Scal had to play more minutes, he played some great b-ball and actually had quite decent numbers. He also dove for loose balls and did lots of other little things. Now, I love the guy. Does anyone really think Scal cares about the chants? Come on. The man's a professional NBA player. I think he's laughing all the way to the bank.