Author Topic: Pierce willing to restructure the last year of his deal.  (Read 11069 times)

Re: Pierce willing to restructure the last year of his deal.
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2009, 01:42:36 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
i really think hes going to opt out and resign a 4 yr 30 mil deal. and I also think its going to be backloaded so we have more of an option for next summer.

Paul Pierce is a special person, special player, and True Celtic that will obviously make the sacrifice for the betterment of the team.

TP Paul Pierce!!!

I think the chances of him signing for 4 years, $30 million are basically nil.  In effect, he'd be signing a 3 year, $9 million extension.  Winning matters to Pierce, but I doubt he's going to take 20 cents on the dollar.

How many player option years can be included in an NBA contract, or, if a player retires is there salary immediately removed from the cap? My point is some mutual flexibility for the future will likely be discussed, and I could see the 4 year 50-60million extension, but only if it included at least one option year for Pierce which would allow him to get the security but have some flexibility as well...
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2009, 02:01:37 PM »

Offline Rida

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 86
a 3 yr 32 million contract sounds fair to me

« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2009, 02:16:48 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Not if he is willfully giving up a 1 year $21.5 million deal. 

I agree that 3 year, $32 million is somewhat fair AFTER next year, but if he not picking up his option, I would be surprised if he resigns for anything less than an average of $15 million per year over 3-4 years.

« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2009, 02:19:10 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544

hahahhaa. he won't turn down $21.5 mill for that. Maybe $14-15 mill for 4 years. $56-60 mill over 4 years.

« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2009, 03:14:48 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
2010- 11.5 mil
2011- 11 mil
2012- 10 mil
2013- 8 mil

2014- 7 mil (player option)

I figured split his 2010 salary over 2 years in exchange for security in having a player option of 7 million in what i could see as his last season. Does this work? or seem fair? or seem likely?

The other way i see it playing out is that he plays out his current contract of 21.5 in '10. Then gets a 3 year 30 million deal. that's 51.5 over 4 years.

« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2009, 03:47:15 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
2010- 11.5 mil
2011- 11 mil
2012- 10 mil
2013- 8 mil

I figured split his 2010 salary over 2 years in exchange for security in having a player option of 7 million in what i could see as his last season. Does this work? or seem fair? or seem likely?

The other way i see it playing out is that he plays out his current contract of 21.5 in '10. Then gets a 3 year 30 million deal. that's 51.5 over 4 years.

No, this is crazy. In this scenario Pierce loses over $15 Million...

If he opts out it's not about taking a "home town discount" it's about creating a win win situation for both he and his team.

« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2009, 03:54:34 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
2010- 11.5 mil
2011- 11 mil
2012- 10 mil
2013- 8 mil

No, this is crazy. In this scenario Pierce loses over $15 Million...

If he opts out it's not about taking a "home town discount" it's about creating a win win situation for both he and his team.

The deal i said is 47.5 over 5. If he plays out the 21.5 and gets signed in the offseason of '11 what do you think he's gonna sign for?
34 year old SF's don't get big deals, esspecially when you know he wants to stay.

What i said may be crazy but i don't know where you figure he's losing 14 million.

« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2009, 05:02:54 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I think there is a misconception here that if Pierce opt out he will be taking a discount.

1) Pierce picks up his option and gets an extension.

$21 + $10 + $11 + $12 = $54 Million over 4 years

2) Pierce opts out and signs a new deal

$14 + $14 + $14 + $14 = $56 Million over 4 years

If he chooses "2" he will be making a smart business decision for himself and help the Celtics avoid luxury tax penalties... Not taking a discount.

Edit - I fixed it.
First off, I don't see PP walking away from a $21 mill payday next year.  Financially foolish on his part.  Secondly, I'd be against offering him your proposed second option.  His salary drop isn't going to make the team a factor in the free agent market to make it worth it.  Also, I'd rather he take less $ in the extension with a declining amount each year to correspond to the anticipated decline in his game. 

He stands to make about $2 mill per year more than Ray will get in his extension.  I'd offer Pierce 11, 10, 9 for the 3 years after that (10, 9, 8 would be better).  Do the same for Ray.  Hope KG signs for another year extension at about 10/11 for the year. 

Even with those contracts for PP/Ray/KG, figure Perk and Rondo for 10 per year at that point and you're looking at $50 mill for your starters.  With luck, Danny has stocked the bench with affordable, quality players through the draft and prudent MLE signings so that Wyc isn't taking a beating with the luxury tax.

In any event, the C's won't be a player in free agency until at least 2 of the big 3 retire (or move on) and even then, they'll need to really restock via the draft or trades

« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2009, 05:49:11 PM »

Offline Prof. Clutch

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 237
  • Mind Games
God bless the Captain if he does.  It would be another positive thing to remember him and his legacy by.

« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2009, 07:14:40 PM »

Offline ToppersBsktball10

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 27
  • Smooth As Silk.

« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2009, 08:30:21 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
Well, he can't "restructure", this isn't the NFL, but he could opt out of the last year, and then sign a new contract.  Ultimately, though I think it all comes down to what the C's are willing to do for him.  If they are willing to give him a 4 year, $60 million deal, if he doesn't pick up his $22 million option, then I am sure he will do it.  However, if they are only willing to give him 3 years, $35 million, I don't see him agreeing to it. 

I agree.  But I'll pose this question: do we as fans, and more importantly, Wyc and Danny as the front office want him around for that long at that money? 

I want Paul to retire a Celtic as much as the next guy; however, he's already 32.  Do we want to be paying him 15 million a year when he's 35 and 36 years old?  More importantly, given that KG's contract only goes for two years beyond this year, do we want Paul around at 35 and 36 at 15 million a year if KG, Ray, and Rasheed are gone? 

Personally, I'd rather see him take his option and sign a 1 year deal at the same money for 2011-2012.  Then after that season, the C's can reassess.  If KG and PP still have what it takes, they can each get one year deals for 2012-2013.  However, if they don't, the C's can clear a ton of cap space to rebuild around Rondo and Perk. 

« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2009, 08:59:49 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Oops.

« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2009, 09:30:30 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Well, he can't "restructure", this isn't the NFL, but he could opt out of the last year, and then sign a new contract.  Ultimately, though I think it all comes down to what the C's are willing to do for him.  If they are willing to give him a 4 year, $60 million deal, if he doesn't pick up his $22 million option, then I am sure he will do it.  However, if they are only willing to give him 3 years, $35 million, I don't see him agreeing to it. 

I agree.  But I'll pose this question: do we as fans, and more importantly, Wyc and Danny as the front office want him around for that long at that money? 

I want Paul to retire a Celtic as much as the next guy; however, he's already 32.  Do we want to be paying him 15 million a year when he's 35 and 36 years old?  More importantly, given that KG's contract only goes for two years beyond this year, do we want Paul around at 35 and 36 at 15 million a year if KG, Ray, and Rasheed are gone? 

Personally, I'd rather see him take his option and sign a 1 year deal at the same money for 2011-2012.  Then after that season, the C's can reassess.  If KG and PP still have what it takes, they can each get one year deals for 2012-2013.  However, if they don't, the C's can clear a ton of cap space to rebuild around Rondo and Perk. 

Sort of like asking if you can take Pierce's cake and eat it too.
Yup

« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2009, 09:35:20 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385

Sort of like asking if you can take Pierce's cake and eat it too.

Not really.  I'd pay him his 21 million next year, and heck, I'd pay him 21 million again the year after.  It's not so much the money I'm concerned about, it's the years.  That's better than 2/3 of the 60 million some were talking about in half the time.  And I'd pay him 21 million more the year after that if he was still as good as he is now. 

However, we don't want PP here two years beyond the time that KG might be gone, especially if he's declining. 

« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2009, 03:53:00 AM »

Offline mzepol

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 56
Props to the Captain. That's really big of him.