Author Topic: Refs talk to the Media about reffing games and certain calls  (Read 4119 times)

Refs talk to the Media about reffing games and certain calls
« on: October 03, 2008, 05:07:28 PM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923
Interesting read about the refs and close calls that we see.  Apparently a lot of the video the refs showed media guys involved Rip Hamilton and at slower speeds almost every play he was in was a foul.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/truehoop/0-34-107/Notes-from-a-Day-with-NBA-Referees.html

Re: Refs talk to the Media about reffing games and certain calls
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2008, 05:31:43 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Yeah, but they don't play the game in slow-motion.

I hope this "transparency" thing doesn't get out of hand. I don't want to have "public accountability" regarding the officiating. It would only empower yahoo fans and conspiracy theorists and put more pressure on the referees. And please, the game already stops more than it should, replays to review calls is a terrible idea. The NBA should create a TV program to educate fans on the rules of the game, with ex-referees explaining some calls. They should pick calls among those that, during the broadcast, color commentators said the refs were wrong (hello Tommy).

# If you catch the ball deep in the paint -- deeper than the deepest part of the circle around the free throw line -- then that whole "restricted area around the hoop" rule does not apply. Defenders can draw charges as deep as they want on a play like that.
# Speaking of that semi-circle under the rim, and the "no charge" area, the defensive player's foot must be all the way outside. Standing on the balls of your feet, with a heel or two hovering in the air above that line, is not good enough.

Here, I have a serious problem with NBA refs. They are not complying with these rules. 90% of the time the defensive player is stepping on the "no charge" area, they call a block, even if the defender didn't do anything that warrants a foul call. There's a reason why it's called "no charge area" and not "automatic block" area.

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2008, 05:42:15 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Great article. Hopefully that will help temper some of the ref-haters.

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2008, 05:44:59 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777

I hope this "transparency" thing doesn't get out of hand. I don't want to have "public accountability" regarding the officiating. It would only empower yahoo fans and conspiracy theorists and put more pressure on the referees. And please, the game already stops more than it should, replays to review calls is a terrible idea. The NBA should create a TV program to educate fans on the rules of the game, with ex-referees explaining some calls. They should pick calls among those that, during the broadcast, color commentators said the refs were wrong (hello Tommy).
I would love to see that. It would be embarrassing for Tommy and many other commentators.

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2008, 06:20:58 PM »

Offline SportsCapNative

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 15
  • "No one Ever Really Dies"
I think what the NBA needs most is a clear concise lay-out of what the rules actually are. I mean, no one to this day knows exactly what constitutes as a foul. Some would argue that a defensive foul is any physical contact that inhibits an offensive player (whether it be stopping him from making a pass, taking a shot, dribbling, etc). Others would say that it's simply any hard contact. It's difficult to decide which it is, or if it's either when the games are being reffed so many different ways. The majority of foul calls are 50/50 and could be seen from two perspectives.

But I do like the move of allowing refs to briefly talk to the media. Hopefully it'll help show that they are HUMAN, and not some computers that are supposed to get every call correct (whatever "correct" even is).

The Sports Capital of America

New England Patriots \\\'01 \\\'03 \\\'04 - Boston Red Sox \\\'04 \\\'07 - Boston Celtics \\\'08

I love Tony Allen!

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2008, 04:40:59 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
I think what the NBA needs most is a clear concise lay-out of what the rules actually are. I mean, no one to this day knows exactly what constitutes as a foul. Some would argue that a defensive foul is any physical contact that inhibits an offensive player (whether it be stopping him from making a pass, taking a shot, dribbling, etc). Others would say that it's simply any hard contact. It's difficult to decide which it is, or if it's either when the games are being reffed so many different ways. The majority of foul calls are 50/50 and could be seen from two perspectives.
(...)

From the article quoted:

# A lot of calls that look like charges are correctly called blocks. When you rewind these plays on your Tivo, don't do what referees make fun of fans for doing: Trying to decide if the players feet were set before the contact. That's not the standard. What you want to know is: Is the defensive player's torso set in position before the offensive player begins his upward motion? The defense can not slide into position after the offensive player has reached this stage. Why did they set that standard at the moment of upward motion? Joe Borgia, the NBA's director of officiating programs and development, says "because we had to set it somewhere. He adds that "the moment of alighting is too late." In years of watching film, however, Borgia has confidence they chose the correct moment.
# Defensive players also have to let offensive players land.
# A standard for assessing if that contact was enough to warrant a foul call: Did it affect the players' "speed, quickness, balance, or rhythm?"

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2008, 05:30:36 PM »

Offline SportsCapNative

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 15
  • "No one Ever Really Dies"
I understand what charges and a blocking fouls are. I was referring to the more controversial calls in which an offensive player could get bumped, tipped, or whatever, and people would argue the degree of the foul, or if it was even a foul at all. When you hear the announcers disagreeing on a call, then somethings wrong.

"A standard for assessing if that contact was enough to warrant a foul call: Did it affect the players' 'speed, quickness, balance, or rhythm?'"

In this case for instance, many people would have their own opinions as to what effects a player "speed, quickness, balance, or rhythm?". But I guess the rules can't get anymore concise than that.

The Sports Capital of America

New England Patriots \\\'01 \\\'03 \\\'04 - Boston Red Sox \\\'04 \\\'07 - Boston Celtics \\\'08

I love Tony Allen!

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2008, 08:22:38 PM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego
When you hear the announcers disagreeing on a call, then somethings wrong.

Why?

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2008, 10:00:55 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja

# If you catch the ball deep in the paint -- deeper than the deepest part of the circle around the free throw line -- then that whole "restricted area around the hoop" rule does not apply. Defenders can draw charges as deep as they want on a play like that.
# Speaking of that semi-circle under the rim, and the "no charge" area, the defensive player's foot must be all the way outside. Standing on the balls of your feet, with a heel or two hovering in the air above that line, is not good enough.

Here, I have a serious problem with NBA refs. They are not complying with these rules. 90% of the time the defensive player is stepping on the "no charge" area, they call a block, even if the defender didn't do anything that warrants a foul call. There's a reason why it's called "no charge area" and not "automatic block" area.

here you bring up a very good point on the nba game. i would enjoy nba basketball much more if the referees called the call much closer to the rules. as played within the rules, basketball is a wonderful sport. but the nba's enforcement of the rules is predicated more upon the play of their stars - and hence what they see as the marketablility and profitability of the game - than the game itself.

sure, i know it is all for profit. but too much is surrended in the name of enormous profits.

actually, the most entertaing basketball played, that i know of, is played by women college players. there, you can see real passing, team play.

men's college game is good too. you can watch and enjoy good coaching and team play over individual slam dunks.

the nba is really unwatchable for me. i only really pay attention to the celtics.

so, the nba is wrong. i am right. and i am happy with that.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva