Author Topic: NBA 2k14?  (Read 31260 times)

Re: NBA 2k14?
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2013, 08:40:37 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I will hold off until the gaming community releases a draft class for this year and the next.

It's not fun for me playing Assoc. Mode without the authentic (sort off) draft classes.

So no NBA 2K14 for me, not yet. Beyond: Two Souls first.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2013, 12:28:01 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
So I caved and bought it, here's my thoughts:

The improvements remind me of the year that Kobe was on the cover (when they stopped letting you just huck the ball from side to side) in that the 'fluidity' improvements might sound subtle, but they're actually pretty big upgrades to gameplay.

Not getting 'stuck' after a physical contact make guys like Josh Smith and Dwight Howard more effective. This year on a break if J-Smoothe gets the ball in transition and a smaller guys in the way, he more or less powers his way to the basket. In year's past, you'd get that awkward animation when he gets hit further from the basket and obviously doesn't hit the shot. Same with Howard: His post moves, realistically, aren't all that good - but you can definitely use his size and speed on the block to get him easy hoops.

Another positive I noticed is that 3's seem to be a lot less easy. I couldn't do that old trick where you just push the ball up with the pg and hit a wing at the elbow. Even good three point shooters need to be closer to the line, and generally more in rhythm. Feels like they made a conscious effort to have a more balanced approach to offense. 

There are a few things I hate: It might be one of those things where it just takes time, but I freaking hate the new post system controls. In my first game it legit took me like 15 attempts to get either Drummond or Monroe to take a shot attempt. And  even after I did, it wasn't very pretty. I liked 2k13's post system a lot: Thought it was easy enough, while allowing creativity. So far, this one just stinks.

Also, they changed the pick and roll button to the 'b' button on 360 (i'm sure it'll be circle for ps3) which might seem minor, but to me it's super obnoxious. Holding the LB and operating pick system always felt fluid, this is really awkward (and I don't htink just because it's 'new', more to do with what your fingers have to do).

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2013, 12:47:01 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
Thanks for the impressions.

Right now I'm maybe considering getting the PC version (since it's only $30).  Getting one of the new consoles has become something I actually might do now.  If 2k14 is really good it could win me over.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2013, 12:49:04 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Holding B is actually how it used to work.  They changed it to LB, now they've changed it back.

I agree about the contact changes really helping the flow of the game.

Similar to Dwight Howard, I've been able to bully my way inside with guys like Derrick Favors much more effectively.  In that past, it was much harder to score in realistic ways with those guys.

I've also found that it's much easier to score with guards by driving inside without having to abuse the Eurostep layup (which is harder to do now, anyway).
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2013, 01:46:37 PM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
I bought it too, here's my experience (though granted my previous experience was with 2k11):

Playing MyCareer, got drafted by the Thunder at 12.  Now when I played in 2k11, I thought the guards tended to be really under-utilized, they never really attacked and didn't have many plays called for them. (Though maybe it was just the teams I played on and how I played).

Now it seems like the opposite, the guards are over utilized and attack too much (though again maybe it's just the team I'm on and how I play, I do have Westbrook).

My guy is a PF, not getting a lot of shots or any plays called for me yet.  Westbrook and Lamb are averaging 17+ FGA per game, while Durant is averaging only about 10.  Two of the worst examples recently, Durant went 3-3 one game, and 1-4 another, while Westbrook and Lamb both took around 20 shots each game.  Durant routinely finishes like 4th or worse in scoring on the team.  Last 5 games, Durant scored over 11 just once.

People told me they  made big improvements in the AI (especially since 2k11), so I'm disappointed by this. Is it just my team, or how I'm playing, or is this how the AI is overall?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 02:29:51 PM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2013, 02:51:19 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
I think it's the fact that you're playing with the Thunder, BDM.

The game sometimes exaggerates the truth, so I'm not really surprised to hear that Russell Westbrook is taking more shots than Kevin Durant and they're playing too much on the perimeter, because, well, that's what the Thunder do.

« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2013, 03:21:18 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
reading these posts makes me sad. I really want to play 2k14 :(

But I don't want to spend money on the ps3 version just to get the ps4 and the game for it later on...

I want to see if there are any improvements to the my player mode. Personally, I thought 2k12 had the better myplayer mode

« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2013, 03:45:32 PM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586

But I don't want to spend money on the ps3 version just to get the ps4 and the game for it later on...

I want to see if there are any improvements to the my player mode. Personally, I thought 2k12 had the better myplayer mode

Actually, I heard there's an upgrade program.  Buy the ps3 version, and you can update to the ps4 version for only $10 more.  I haven't looked into it, because I have no plans to get a ps4 anytime soon, but here's some links:

UK site says 2k14 is eligible and for £9.99

But US site doesn't mention 2k14, but still says you can upgrade certain games for $9.99

Worth looking into I would think if you want the best of both worlds.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2013, 03:49:33 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427

Actually, I heard there's an upgrade program.  Buy the ps3 version, and you can update to the ps4 version for only $10 more.  I haven't looked into it, because I have no plans to get a ps4 anytime soon, but here's some links:

UK site says 2k14 is eligible and for £9.99

But US site doesn't mention 2k14, but still says you can upgrade certain games for $9.99

Worth looking into I would think if you want the best of both worlds.

I'm very very very cheap

buy for 60 now? upgrade to ps4 edition for $10...I end up paying 70

I'm patient, just one more month (if I am lucky), or two months (reasonable time)

I'm just playing starcraft II with my buddy after work, and using my ps3 as my entertainment box (netflix/blu ray player)

« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2013, 04:14:52 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Are there still glaring holes in the classic teams?

-01-02 Kings still missing C-Webb

-85-86 Sixers missing Chuck

etc.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2013, 04:16:05 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Thanks for the impressions.

Right now I'm maybe considering getting the PC version (since it's only $30).  Getting one of the new consoles has become something I actually might do now.  If 2k14 is really good it could win me over.
I bought 2k13 for PC on the Steam Summer sale but it has yet to work. Just plays the intro music. I don't trust the series on PC.

« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2013, 11:11:11 AM »

Offline perrin_goldeneyes

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 8
Played 5 games in a Celtics association. Lost 2 and Won 3. I like how it plays, although I still make a lot of TOs (I have about 4.5 TOPG with Rondo, but also 11APG).

The Celtics squad is rather fun to play with. I put both Sullinger and Humphries in my starting lineup (I started KO the first game, but changed it after Hump did a lot better in the game) and they go well together. Both are great rebounders. Sully is at 9 RBG with probably more than 3 ORPG, and Humphries is at almost 10 RBPG. Both already had a 15 rebounds game.

I upped Jeff Green's ball handling ability a little bit, because it was impossible for me to drive to the basket without him losing the ball. Now he's about 17PPG, and Sully is the second highest scorer on the team.

I get quiet a lot of double doubles with this team. Last game against the Jazz:

Rondo: 15 pts, 13 ast (also 8 turnovers :s)
Sully: 25 pts (career high), 11 rebs
Humphries: 13 pts, 15 rebs

It took me a while to get used to the new controls though. It still happens that I accidentally pass the ball during a fast break, when I actually want to dunk it :/

Overall I think the game is good, but it's more of a patch to 2k13 than an entirely new game I think. There are still some sloppy bugs from last year in the game as well:

- rotations reset when you start a new association, so you don't get the rotations from the roster
- sometimes the announcers talk about substitutions from the wrong team (e.g. "Coming into the game: Gerald Wallace and Rajon Rondo for the Toronto Raptors")

« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2013, 02:03:51 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Started playing the game, Assoc. Mode.

Simming the first season. Traded Bass and a pick for Asik.

Traded Jeff Green and Crash for Rudy Gay and Austin Daye.

Traded Avery Bradley to Charlotte for a pick and and McRoberts. Also Traded Marshon Brooks and Jordan Crawford to Utah for Brandon Rush and Jeremy Evans.

Did not make the Playoffs, went to the draft with three 1st rounders. Traded two of them along with KO and Asik for Aldridge. They bit. (LOL)

Signed Andy Varejao for MLE. Drafted Doug McDermott

My 2014 Celtics lineup coming in.

Rondo, Lee, Gay, Aldridge, Varejao with Rush, McDermott, Olynyk and Josh McRoberts.

No backup PG though. LOL.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2013, 11:38:02 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Started playing the game, Assoc. Mode.

Simming the first season. Traded Bass and a pick for Asik.

Traded Jeff Green and Crash for Rudy Gay and Austin Daye.

Traded Avery Bradley to Charlotte for a pick and and McRoberts. Also Traded Marshon Brooks and Jordan Crawford to Utah for Brandon Rush and Jeremy Evans.

Did not make the Playoffs, went to the draft with three 1st rounders. Traded two of them along with KO and Asik for Aldridge. They bit. (LOL)

So this game already has us with NJ's first? Curious to know how accurate it is?

« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2013, 11:39:34 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
If any of you are getting the next consoles, look at 2K14 on it.  Seems the game there is really great.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/11/12/nba-2k14-ps4-xbox-one-review
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford