Author Topic: Could DA emulate the Spurs with a Rozier deal?  (Read 4378 times)

Re: Could DA emulate the Spurs with a Rozier deal?
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2018, 04:53:24 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
I like the idea, but don't think we should necessarily be concentrating on bigs. In fact, I think Mikal Bridges would be the perfect Stevens' system player. 6'7" 3 and D player, who's extremely athletic, and has a huge 7 foot wingspan. Tatum is going to be playing a lot of 4 next season, probably starting, and adding another versatile wing would be unreal.

TP to you Eddie. Mikal Bridges is actually one of my binkie's, and I think he's gonna be really vital to today's modern NBA. His wingspan, and his defensive IQ is really what led Villanova to doing so well to the tune of 32-4 W/L.

While his offensive upside isn't anything spectacular, I would love to combine picks to try to get a chance to draft him. He is the perfect role player to put in Steven's system.

Beat me to it! Count me aboard the Mikal Bridges bandwagon although I wouldn't doubt that the word is out on him. Could see him being the player that sneaks into the top 10 in spite of being lower on the mock drafts.

Reminds me of Khris Middleton with his length and shooting ability. Nabbing Khris Middleton at any pick after 7 would be a steal.

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2018, 05:25:09 PM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
Odds of a 15th pick being as good as Rozier aren't that good.  Odds of the 15th pick being as good as Leonard are exceptionally slim.  And you're not getting a top 5 lottery pick for Rozier. 

I really don't get what you're thinking here.

Odds that he's the 8th man on a good, not great team? I think that's the expectation for a 15th pick.

Justin Jackson, Juan Hernangomez, Kelly Oubre, Adrien Payne, and Giannis were the last 5 15th picks.  You've got 3 guys that probably won't amount to much, Oubre who seems like he might have similar value to Rozier, and a huge outlier in Giannis.

A rookie and a second year player. Are we forgetting Terry's similar value during those first two years?
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2018, 06:10:50 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
Perhaps it's best to sell high on Terry.

Who knows what a GM would be thinking at different positions in the draft for valuation.

I suggest that Ainge would rather have Rozier and his salary on board next year (maybe) as part of an important trade rather than getting another young player.

Ainge has some potential draft capital with Kings in 2019. Combine pick with Terry III, three Celtics dancers and cash considerations?

Anyway, I like Rozier's game, but, I just don't see him as a full time  NBA starter...do ther GM's agree?

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2018, 07:05:54 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Rumors of Kyrie having serious knee problem and everyone wants to trade Rozier.

Crazy stupid.

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2018, 07:05:57 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
I've personally never thought Rozier was that good, but I still think this board is undervaluing his value around the league. Everything is breaking his way, and he's going to have every opportunity to end up averaging 16 pts per game over the last 30 games of this year. He's athletic and plays defense, and he's creating some buzz.

Teams are looking for guys on the cusp, and he looks like one of those guys. We've got Hayward coming back, and there will be 32 less minutes to be had next year. I'd be in favor of trading him if we can get fair value.

I do think the top 7 this year's draft is the best chance to get a foundational big man for the foreseeable future. There are 5 really good true centers, and every one of them looks like they could be great players in different ways for our system. Porter and Doncic would be amazing too.

I would give up our 2019 Sac pick, Rozier, our other 1st this year, and almost any other non-core asset to get one of those picks.

« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2018, 09:25:43 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
I like the idea, but don't think we should necessarily be concentrating on bigs. In fact, I think Mikal Bridges would be the perfect Stevens' system player. 6'7" 3 and D player, who's extremely athletic, and has a huge 7 foot wingspan. Tatum is going to be playing a lot of 4 next season, probably starting, and adding another versatile wing would be unreal.

TP to you Eddie. Mikal Bridges is actually one of my binkie's, and I think he's gonna be really vital to today's modern NBA. His wingspan, and his defensive IQ is really what led Villanova to doing so well to the tune of 32-4 W/L.

While his offensive upside isn't anything spectacular, I would love to combine picks to try to get a chance to draft him. He is the perfect role player to put in Steven's system.

Beat me to it! Count me aboard the Mikal Bridges bandwagon although I wouldn't doubt that the word is out on him. Could see him being the player that sneaks into the top 10 in spite of being lower on the mock drafts.

Reminds me of Khris Middleton with his length and shooting ability. Nabbing Khris Middleton at any pick after 7 would be a steal.

Not to help hijack my own post but for anyone who wants to trade up for Mikal Bridges I would suggest not moving up as high and targeting Bates-Diop

http://www.tankathon.com/players/compare?players=keita-bates-diop--mikal-bridges--jimmy-butler

He is not at Bridges' level as a shooter but still solid and has great size. I have seen it reported that he has around a 7'3 wingspan and looks to be at least his 6'7 listed height but likely taller. His length and rebounding ability makes him a prime candidate to play today's perimeter based PF role. 
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2018, 09:46:40 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
Rumors of Kyrie having serious knee problem and everyone wants to trade Rozier.

Crazy stupid.

Not saying I want to trade Rozier. The facts are that he is going to want a chance to start and if all goes well he will never have that opportunity in boston. Terry is likely seeing the peak of his minutes as a Celtics this season. I find it hard to belive DA just lets Smart walk as a RFA this summer. Assuming he is back and the roster doesn't have any major changes BS will have an interesting minutes crunch on his hands.

really rough look at a possible 9 man rotation next season. Granted BS has preferred to play deeper rotations but the primary minute distribution still hold roughly true.

PG Irving 32mpg      Smart 16mpg
SG Brown 30mpg     Smart 14mpg
SF Hayward 32mpg  Morris 5mpg  backup wing 11mpg
PF Tatum 32mpg      Morris 16mpg
C  Horford 30mpg    Theis 18mpg

The lack of minutes for Terry makes me question if a trade could be plausible.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2018, 10:37:20 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I've personally never thought Rozier was that good, but I still think this board is undervaluing his value around the league. Everything is breaking his way, and he's going to have every opportunity to end up averaging 16 pts per game over the last 30 games of this year. He's athletic and plays defense, and he's creating some buzz.

Teams are looking for guys on the cusp, and he looks like one of those guys. We've got Hayward coming back, and there will be 32 less minutes to be had next year. I'd be in favor of trading him if we can get fair value.

I do think the top 7 this year's draft is the best chance to get a foundational big man for the foreseeable future. There are 5 really good true centers, and every one of them looks like they could be great players in different ways for our system. Porter and Doncic would be amazing too.

I would give up our 2019 Sac pick, Rozier, our other 1st this year, and almost any other non-core asset to get one of those picks.

trading up to get a top draft pick without offering a high pick in the same draft (e.g., last year trade down from 1 to 3) almost never happen. Why? Because GM with the lotto pick has done extensive scouting, and is salivating over getting a guy NOW who can save his job.  There is no such satisfaction swapping for the SAC pick (and let's be honest, that is the major value in your proposed trade, not TR. Just like the Kyrie trade; it was the BKN pick that got it done, not IT).

I also have to re-emphasize, because others are for some reason ignoring this on this thread, the following: Kyrie will likely have to get surgery by season's end.  There is a legitimate risk that he won't be able to play at the beginning of next season. There is a risk that he may miss a good chunk of next reason. There is a (hopefully very low) risk that, gulp, he will never be the same.  Who's your starting PG in the meantime? Smart? Doncic?  No, it would be Terry Rozier. Danny Ainge is not even thinking of trading him right now, or during the off season. The only exception would be in a package to get AD. And as we all know, AD is not going anywhere. 

« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2018, 01:47:39 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Keep Rozier, re-sign Monroe and Baynes, pay the lux tax.
No. Avoid luxury tax at all costs. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip