Author Topic: A Shame We Can't Beat The Great East Teams Like PHI, MIL, TOR....  (Read 4208 times)

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
... Oh wait... WE ALREADY DID!  ::)

Seriously, it makes me laugh when we have a good stretch of games and start winning (where the team evidently plays with better energy and confidence), but some people are like, "oh this doesn't matter, we still have to prove we can beat some of the best, I don't think we can, etc.".

Umm... we beat PHI on opening day, beat MIL back in November when MIL was hot (started the season 7-0), and so far we're 1-1 against TOR this season in 2 fairly close games with each side pulling away late and taking the home game. So where is this coming from?

We're also 2-1 against DET this season, and we are 0-1 against IND with a 1-point loss on the road.

Yes, PHI added Jimmy Butler (that's big), and yes, I'm not denying that the next 10 days will be tough tests (12/21 against MIL, Christmas Day against PHI), but it's also ridiculous to just "shove aside/ignore" this 8-1 stretch in the last 9 games because most of the teams were "mediocre/bad", though even that's not entirely true.

Keep in mind we've also dealt with some injuries over the past few weeks (especially to Horford) but also to Kyrie, Baynes, Brown, etc. in some stretches.

The Celtics earlier in the year also had trouble putting away mediocre teams, but now they are taking care of business. And I mean, TOR/MIL/IND/PHI aren't just playing each other every single game, they are also playing these teams and taking advantage as well.

We lost last night, but overall this has been a fantastic stretch for the C's and they are in a good position to go into next Friday's clash with MIL with a 20-11 record and potentially the 2-3 seed on the line.

Anyways, that's my mini-Sunday rant, have a great day guys, and GO PATS! (Man we NEED to find a way and win @PIT. Last week was brutal).  ;D
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Re: A Shame We Can't Beat The Great East Teams Like PHI, MIL, TOR....
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2018, 11:51:44 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1361
Our issue during that brutal losing stretch was beating the also-rans. They got themselves up for the good teams but they didn't display the same effort and commitment when it came to the bad teams. They would fall behind by 20, then they would mount a furious comeback that would fall short.

That's why I thought their issues were more mental than technical, and which is why I thought bringing in Smart and Morris into the starting lineup made a big difference, because those two bring in maximum effort on both ends no matter who the opponent is. So during the eight game win streak there was a noticeable increase in effort and commitment.

These games against no-hopers are banana skin games for us because we need to win those games but they're the ones that maybe younger players find it hard to get motivated for. We need to keep seeing that same level of commitment and energy whether it's Golden State or Cleveland. If they can do that we will be in good shape come April.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2018, 12:09:09 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
We have never had a problem beating Philly, so there goes that.   We beat them this year easily and without our stars last year.   We beat TOR once and they beat us.   Go back to the drawing board.  As far as great teams only TOR and MIL apply.

Perhaps look at the records and watch some games before you post stuff that is inherently wrong?  You know we beat Philly yet you use them as an example, thanks for the laugh.

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2018, 12:17:20 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
We have never had a problem beating Philly, so there goes that.   We beat them this year easily and without our stars last year.   We beat TOR once and they beat us.   Go back to the drawing board.  As far as great teams only TOR and MIL apply.

Perhaps look at the records and watch some games before you post stuff that is inherently wrong?  You know we beat Philly yet you use them as an example, thanks for the laugh.

Dude, you obviously didn't read Phantom's post. The thread topic is in jest and leads in to an all caps - "WE ALREADY DID"

Nice post Phantom - TP!

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2018, 12:19:06 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

Man you clearly didn't read the post, like at all  :P

Try again!

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2018, 12:20:31 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
We can beat 28 of the other 29 teams when we’re playing well.  Golden State continues to be the only team that I wouldn’t be confident against.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2018, 12:28:33 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Totally agree Phantom, really great points all around. TP

Heard a lot of negativity in the media about our recent streak. 'Oh Celtics only 5-5 against Western Conference teams!' We have some of the highest degree of difficulty wins this season.

Kyrie can score on every team in the league. Horford has nights where he looks like the physical manifestation of what a modern Center should be. When Kyrie and Horford have the 2 man game going we're borderline unstoppable.

It's an incredible team, I have very few questions about us at this point. Looking forward to the Playoffs.

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2018, 12:55:50 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Right on. I remain optimistic about this season.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2018, 02:29:14 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
We can beat 28 of the other 29 teams when we’re playing well.  Golden State continues to be the only team that I wouldn’t be confident against.
And yet Boston is 3-3 against GSW over the last three years including two wins in GS and an over time loss in Boston. That gives me hope.

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2018, 02:34:11 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

To me, I think Toronto is another team in that category especially if they're fully healthy. I hope somehow someway if we do match up against either (or both) in the playoffs, we have home court advantage. That could really make the difference.

But yeah, when we're fully healthy on our end I'm confident as well that we can beat anyone, even GSW. It's a shame CP3 got hurt last season in Game 5, otherwise HOU is in the Finals not GSW honestly.

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2018, 04:34:36 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

To me, I think Toronto is another team in that category especially if they're fully healthy. I hope somehow someway if we do match up against either (or both) in the playoffs, we have home court advantage. That could really make the difference.

But yeah, when we're fully healthy on our end I'm confident as well that we can beat anyone, even GSW. It's a shame CP3 got hurt last season in Game 5, otherwise HOU is in the Finals not GSW honestly.

We already beat Toronto back when we were playing poorly and they were on fire.

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2018, 04:45:52 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
yet, over the past few years in the regular season, haven't the celtics played well against them, or at least better than most teams?  it is sunday and i am too lazy to track down the scores, so simply going from memory.  :-[
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2018, 05:50:56 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

We already beat Toronto back when we were playing poorly and they were on fire.

Yeah but we also lost to them on the road with Kawhi being Kawhi. We can certainly beat them (and we've proven it), but I'm just saying I view them as the true threat in the East. Not PHI. Not MIL. And home court will be vital I think.

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2018, 06:12:28 PM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
And yet Boston is 3-3 against GSW over the last three years including two wins in GS and an over time loss in Boston. That gives me hope.

Danny built this club to beat GS...unfortunately in the last 2 ECF's..we were only built to beat LBJ had we had a full roster.

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2018, 07:07:01 PM »

Offline greenrunsdeep41

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 152

This is amazing.
2019 Historical Draft - Golden State

C - Bill Russell/Joel Embiid
PF - Giannis Antetokounmpo/Tommy Heinsohn
SF - Kevin Durant/Billy Cunningham
SG - Bruce Bowen/David Thompson
PG - Isiah Thomas/James Harden