Author Topic: Avatar Movie  (Read 25125 times)

« on: December 18, 2009, 05:33:10 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
PSYCHED to see this movie tonight at 7pm in 3D!  I was nervous it wouldn't live up to the hype, but it averaged an A- review from the critics and A- reviews from Yahoo! users.  The commercials don't really give any clue what the movie is actually about, so I wasn't buying all the hype so much at first, but then I saw the trailer and it looks like a pretty cool storyline.  Check out the trailer link below and hopefully I'll post my thoughts for you all sometime tomorrow.

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1809804784/video;_ylc=X1MDNzgyMDYzOQRfcgMyBGxkA2JsZARtcANibARwb3MDMzEEc2VjA290dwRzbGsDb3BlbmluZ1Byb2R1Y3Rpb25QaG90b3MzMQ--
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

Re: Avatar Movie
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 11:45:29 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
i hope to see it soon.  if/when i do, i will be seeing it in imax.

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2009, 12:19:50 AM »

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg
"AWWWWWWW SWEEEEEEET LOOK HOW EXPENSIVEEEEE THIS WASSSSSSSS MICHAEL BAY CRAWWWWWWWW BLAWWWWWW CRASHHHHHHH"
Grab a few boards, keep the TO's under 14, close out on shooters and we'll win.

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2009, 01:38:02 AM »

Offline bucknersrevenge

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 170
Just got back from Avatar in IMAX 3D. It was unreal!! I was very impressed. The visuals were absolutely stunning. The animals, creatures and landscapes just jump off the screen. Cameron really set the bar from a film-making standpoint; I mean just changed the game. To me seeing this movie non 3D in a regular theater would be cheating yourself.

The only tough part is that it is a 3 hr movie and some people simply don't have the stamina for a movie that long. I really didn't notice the length because it keeps you wrapped up in a well crafted storyline. And a major plot device in this story It reminds me a lot of 2 great movies: The Last Samurai and also Tron for the video-game feel of the story. In fact the whole thing will have you thinking about the Playstation Network, or XBox Live. For those of you in your mid-30's and older you should know Tron and for those who aren't you need to educate yourself and see this movie because it all started here.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 02:01:41 AM by bucknersrevenge »
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity...

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2009, 06:37:34 AM »

Offline jackson_34

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 166
Going to go see this in 3D tomorrow, looking forward to it!

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2009, 11:07:38 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
I saw it tonight.  Bucknersrevenge has hit it.  This is a visually stunning film that will change the Sci Fi genre forever-- and maybe the whole action genre.  It isn't just the 3D.  It's the total impact of the visuals: the colors, the scenery, the creatures, the sets, the motion, the computer animation.

And the rest of the movie is pretty good too.  Good acting (Sigorney Weaver reprises her role as Ripley), good dialogue (for the most part), a good story (a reprise of Dances with Wolves) and a very imaginative creation of an entire alien culture. The aliens remind me of the Atevi in C.J. Cherryh's Foreigner series, but in a completely different setting.

I saw it at the Fenway Regal, and although it is a youngish crowd there (except for me), the audience broke out in spontaneous clapping and cheering at the end.  I can't remember the last time that happened when I was in the theater.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 11:14:50 PM by Brickowski »

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2009, 12:48:54 AM »

Offline nox45

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 2
saw the movie here in manila the other day. fantastic movie, a real eye candy . the creatures look so real. goundbreaking . cant wait for the sequel.

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2009, 01:39:51 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Yeah i saw it a couple days ago at an IMAX 3d screen.  It was amazing.  Totally recommend it.  Just brilliantly beautiful.  It doesn't do 3d in a gimmicky way.  I'd say it isn't 100% necessary to see it in 3d, but it's definitely amazing to see it in that format.  I hadn't seen a 3D movie in a long time... i was impressed how clear and crisp the screen looked despite the goggles. 

The effects are out of this world.  Definitely worth it to see it for that.  Worthy of all the praise it is getting.

The story (as mentioned) is a bit like Dances with Wolves... kinda mixed with The Matrix and Princess Mononoke (for anyone whose seen that anime). 

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2009, 07:20:53 PM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
Saw it tonight in 3D... found it awful. :-\

The graphics are stunning but the scenario sucks, the characters have no charisma at all, the dialogs are awful, and you know what's going to happen 10 minutes before it happens. Just a big production with no soul.

Sure, it's stunning and beautiful to watch but it's way too long, I got bored quickly and wanted to see it end. What's the point of having great graphics if there is no scenario?

Also, the 3D glasses didn't make that much of a difference, except for rare effects, I almost felt like I watched it in 2D...

Very disappointed from this movie, especially after all the hype about it.

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2009, 07:31:58 PM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
KG and Tommy out tonight... I hope KG is OK. ???

Edit : wrong topic. :-X

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2009, 07:56:20 PM »

Offline beantownboy171

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
I felt like the parker guy was just doing an impression of Jeremy  Piven the whole time.

Otherwise it was good. haha

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2009, 12:17:17 PM »

Offline slam

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 22
This might be the greatest movie of all time.  I had high hopes, but not this high!  In fact, usually I get so hyped up for big movies, that I always end up disappointed, but not this time.

Avatar made me feel like a little kid again where everything is magical.  Nothing else comes close to the fantasy world created by Cameron.  Not only is it the most beautiful imagery I've ever seen in a movie but I became completely immersed in it. 

It was one of those rare movies where there was a huge round of applause when the credits rolled.  And I smiled non-stop for half an hour after that.

Don't wait for this to come out on Blu-Ray and DVD.  You have to see this in the theatre and you have to see it in 3D (preferably IMAX).  I've never recommended that before, but it wasn't a distraction.  It added to the immersion by adding depth to the movie, rather than having things popping out of the screen at you all the time.

Incredible acting, casting, cinematography, animation, direction, music, and sound effects.  This should win Oscars for everything.  Yes, it's ground breaking, but it's also movie making at its best in all aspects.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 12:57:12 PM by slam »
Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away.

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2010, 05:35:17 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
This is a great film, 3D or no 3D.

This film is bigger than its looks, and its looks are massive.

This film speaks to its audience, tells a grand story with social and political commentary.

5 out of 4 stars.

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2010, 05:45:54 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Wife and I are headed on a trip tomorrow to see it in 3D (none of the theaters nearby have it).  Looking forward to it.  I've heard nary a bad word.
Yup

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2010, 05:53:38 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I saw this today, and like most everyone else, I really enjoyed it.  As others have said, in terms of plot the movie that immediately came to mind was Dances With Wolves.  The end is a little (or completely) predictable, as it follows the exact same script of every other plot of its nature, but it's still an enjoyable experience.  The film is visually beautiful and immersive, and the CGI is flawless.  The main villain is a bit of an archetype, but it worked well enough.

Overall, I'd give this one an A/A-.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions