Author Topic: religulous  (Read 18002 times)

religulous
« on: February 20, 2009, 01:24:04 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
i just saw this film yesterday and must say its done really well.  it brings up alot of questions about religion and also uses humor.  bill maher was pretty funny in it, but sometimes borderline rude and condescending.  whether your religious or not, after watching this film, it should spark some thought and discussion on the topic.

Re: religulous
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 01:25:24 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
hmmm...thinking about a rental for tonight...that might work
Yup

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 01:39:34 PM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
i just saw this film yesterday and must say its done really well.  it brings up alot of questions about religion and also uses humor.  bill maher was pretty funny in it, but sometimes borderline rude and condescending.  whether your religious or not, after watching this film, it should spark some thought and discussion on the topic.

Bill Maher being rude or condescending is no surprise. He can be a really funny guy and says a lot of smart things, but his attitude is a major put off. Still interested in seeing this though.

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 07:16:11 PM »

Offline cornbreadsmart

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 106
i loved it. i'm biased though. i don't believe in a god that cares what's happening to us. one point maher makes a point  he has  made before which  is that atheists and/or non believers are a little fearful to let people know that is how they feel. that's how i am. there are many places,even extended family gatherings where people are talking to you about god and i know I would like to let the person know that i don't agree with them and have no love for any god. but many people, especially older people, would think you were crazy for NOT believing.many people would be offended and let you know they are offended. it also makes some people very angry.i'm fascinated by religions so i was all about this movie. i went out and bought it.

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 07:18:50 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
i loved it. i'm biased though. i don't believe in a god that cares what's happening to us. one point maher makes a point  he has  made before which  is that atheists and/or non believers are a little fearful to let people know that is how they feel. that's how i am. there are many places,even extended family gatherings where people are talking to you about god and i know I would like to let the person know that i don't agree with them and have no love for any god. but many people, especially older people, would think you were crazy for NOT believing.many people would be offended and let you know they are offended. it also makes some people very angry.i'm fascinated by religions so i was all about this movie. i went out and bought it.

TP for the insight.

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 07:34:20 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I mean...not that what he said didn't make any sense..but I kinda just got the feeling that he was picking on people. He picked what, some truck drivers, a man who is either deluded or patholigical(the fake jesus), a themepark jesus, a rabbi who believes the holocaust should come AGAIN..its not like he debated the most scholarly minds of Catholicism or anything.

Edit: I mean if he's really going to go around the world questioning the fundementals of peoples faith, doing his best Daniel Webster impersonation, he could at least have picked someone on his level to talk about it with, not those either too dumb to properly defend their faith, or those on the fringes of faith. 

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2009, 07:39:07 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127

Is it possible that these people that you think would be offended if you shared your belief, or rather lack of belief with, are truly just concerned for you and aren't personally offended by you not sharing their feelings? Whether or not they are right or wrong, their fundamental belief is that in order for you to go to "heaven" that you need to believe. Maybe they are just upset at the thought that you won't be going to heaven if you continue not to believe, and their rationale behind it is for your best interest? If they are friends or family I am willing to bet that the majority of them feel that way. If they don't, or aren't friends then you follow the golden rule: Don't discuss Politics or Religion with people!

BTW,  Bill Maher is an absolute idiot. He is a pompous arrogant prick who's only motive is to tear down people and their beliefs. His ideas come from hatred and spite rather than true beliefs or opinions and is one of the most classless people out there. That being said, if I don't agree then I shouldn't watch... Which I don't...

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2009, 08:37:08 PM »

Offline GroverTheClover

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 167

Is it possible that these people that you think would be offended if you shared your belief, or rather lack of belief with, are truly just concerned for you and aren't personally offended by you not sharing their feelings? Whether or not they are right or wrong, their fundamental belief is that in order for you to go to "heaven" that you need to believe. Maybe they are just upset at the thought that you won't be going to heaven if you continue not to believe, and their rationale behind it is for your best interest? If they are friends or family I am willing to bet that the majority of them feel that way. If they don't, or aren't friends then you follow the golden rule: Don't discuss Politics or Religion with people!

BTW,  Bill Maher is an absolute idiot. He is a pompous arrogant prick who's only motive is to tear down people and their beliefs. His ideas come from hatred and spite rather than true beliefs or opinions and is one of the most classless people out there. That being said, if I don't agree then I shouldn't watch... Which I don't...

Replace Bill Maher with Al Sharpton, Rush Limbaugh, Keith Olbermann, Ann Coulter, Sean Hannity, and the rest of the partisan hacks out there and the same holds true. The sooner this nation stops paying attention to these vapid extremist morons, the better off we will be.

The difference with Bill Maher, is he's an entertainer who just happens to spout random things.

As a godless sodomite who saw the movie, I found it mildly entertaining but he does go out of his way to stretch somethings especially misquoting the Founding Fathers.

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2009, 08:53:58 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

Replace Bill Maher with Al Sharpton, Rush Limbaugh, Keith Olbermann, Ann Coulter, Sean Hannity, and the rest of the partisan hacks out there and the same holds true. The sooner this nation stops paying attention to these vapid extremist morons, the better off we will be.

The difference with Bill Maher, is he's an entertainer who just happens to spout random things.

As a godless sodomite who saw the movie, I found it mildly entertaining but he does go out of his way to stretch somethings especially misquoting the Founding Fathers.

TP to you for the thoughts. A couple of sincere quick questions though:

Are you stating that it is okay to listen to Bill Maher and his "random thoughts" but not Ann Coulter on the other end of the spectrum? (I'm basing this  on you going out and paying to ee his movie and supporting his efforts in this manner while stating we shouldn't listen to either extreme side... I am betting you didn't go buy her book)

Do you feel that his complete debasing of people who believe in god and making fun of them is something that makes this society better? Ann Coulter definitely goes to the extreme for entertainment purposes and even being conservative I don't like most of what she does/says, but these other guys are entertainers as well and shouldn't they have the right to voice their opinions just like Maher does?

(I do agree that the extremism on both sides is alarming and detrimental to society)

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2009, 08:57:41 PM »

Offline cornbreadsmart

• Don Chaney
right. that's what i do. i try not to discuss it. however, some people that DO believe like to profess their faith or just chit chat about god or for example say a non believer is having a tough time in school and is stressing about it. a relative may try and help and say " hey ,what i always do is say a prayer," or suggest praying bout it. in a situation like this  i would LIKE to let that person know politely, that i don't believe in a god who cares or is involved in any way. i try not to do this with anyone i care about that i think can't take it. i do this because people do get offended. i'm not saying they're bad for being offended though. in my opinion these people are praying to nothing and there is no heaven.many would disagree. but many people (and i'm not saying there is a shred of malice behind it) just don't look at you the same when they learn you don't believe in any of that stuff.some actually think YOU'RE THE ONE who's nuts.i am very guilty ofmengaging in religious discussion if provoked though. ha. i really do find it fascinating.
  i think bill maher can be rude sometimes like anyone, but i disagree with what ya said. i actually think he's a pretty smart guy. i really don't think he's trying to hurt anyone,tear into  people. i think he's trying to get people to wake up and look at how some thing don't add up. sure we(non believers) could use a better spokes person but i did appreciate this movie. people ARE wary of letting people know this because at the very least you are gonna get people trying to change your mind instead of just accepting it. i'm not whining, i have a thick enough skin but when ya think about it, it is a little bit insulting for someone to try and tell you your LACK of belief is wrong.i'm hoping other people continue what maher was getting at(i'm not calling him a pioneer or anything).
  maher does'nt appear full of hatred or spite to me. he seems pretty happy but who knows.  

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2009, 08:59:29 PM »

Offline beantownboy171

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
im an atheist, but i just don't like bill maher, i've never heard him not come off as condesending.

Real leaders build bridges between the two side, and people like bill maher just make it harder for people to listen to his own side

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2009, 09:03:12 PM »

Offline cornbreadsmart

• Don Chaney
i'm still waiting for the day when a guy hits a home run and points to the ground to thank satan. :P

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2009, 09:10:25 PM »

Offline GroverTheClover

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 167

TP to you for the thoughts. A couple of sincere quick questions though:

Are you stating that it is okay to listen to Bill Maher and his "random thoughts" but not Ann Coulter on the other end of the spectrum? (I'm basing this  on you going out and paying to ee his movie and supporting his efforts in this manner while stating we shouldn't listen to either extreme side... I am betting you didn't go buy her book)

Do you feel that his complete debasing of people who believe in god and making fun of them is something that makes this society better? Ann Coulter definitely goes to the extreme for entertainment purposes and even being conservative I don't like most of what she does/says, but these other guys are entertainers as well and shouldn't they have the right to voice their opinions just like Maher does?

(I do agree that the extremism on both sides is alarming and detrimental to society)

I don't see Ann Coulter as an entertainer though. I see her as someone who worked in for a political party and tries to hide her vitriolic partisan attacks clothed under "entertainment." I do not own an Ann Coulter book, but a conservative friend of mine is nuts about her and had me read her Godless book which I found mildly amusing.

Compare that to Bill Maher who started as a comic and slowly developed into an angry anti-religion fanatic.

As an atheist, I wanted to see something that "catered" to my tastes fully knowing what Maher's views were. I do not necessarily think being an atheist and seeing a movie that questions organized religion in a humorous manner is  extremist. However, I can't watch his show because I find him overly intolerant and abrasive to people who don't think like him.

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2009, 09:11:54 PM »

Offline cornbreadsmart

• Don Chaney
wow. when you say build bridges between the two sides it hits me even more how unlikely that is though(at least for now). i start thinking to myself,atheists have no real ...organized voice, if you will.(sorry, my writing/grammar etc. bites).then i think that's maybe good. this is kinda opening up something else but  i always thought spirituality woould'nt hurt anyone. organized religions on the other hand are a different story. maybe it's better atheists ARE NOT organized. ha. ok i've confused myself now. ;D

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2009, 09:16:46 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
right. that's what i do. i try not to discuss it. however, some people that DO believe like to profess their faith or just chit chat about god or for example say a non believer is having a tough time in school and is stressing about it. a relative may try and help and say " hey ,what i always do is say a prayer," or suggest praying bout it. in a situation like this  i would LIKE to let that person know politely, that i don't believe in a god who cares or is involved in any way. i try not to do this with anyone i care about that i think can't take it. i do this because people do get offended. i'm not saying they're bad for being offended though. in my opinion these people are praying to nothing and there is no heaven.many would disagree. but many people (and i'm not saying there is a shred of malice behind it) just don't look at you the same when they learn you don't believe in any of that stuff.some actually think YOU'RE THE ONE who's nuts.i am very guilty ofmengaging in religious discussion if provoked though. ha. i really do find it fascinating.
  i think bill maher can be rude sometimes like anyone, but i disagree with what ya said. i actually think he's a pretty smart guy. i really don't think he's trying to hurt anyone,tear into  people. i think he's trying to get people to wake up and look at how some thing don't add up. sure we(non believers) could use a better spokes person but i did appreciate this movie. people ARE wary of letting people know this because at the very least you are gonna get people trying to change your mind instead of just accepting it. i'm not whining, i have a thick enough skin but when ya think about it, it is a little bit insulting for someone to try and tell you your LACK of belief is wrong.i'm hoping other people continue what maher was getting at(i'm not calling him a pioneer or anything).
  maher does'nt appear full of hatred or spite to me. he seems pretty happy but who knows.  

Great insight, however playing devils advocate, or Maher's advocate if you prefer  ;D, why is it less insulting to tell someone that their BELIEF is wrong?! I would never have that type of conversation with someone who wasn't a close friend that didn't know my comments for them came from true concern vs. just wanting to argue.

I have no problem with someone believing or not believing, but when you have someone that goes out of his way to ridicule groups of people like he does he is doing it for one of two reasons. Either he truly has a deep rooted hatred for religious people and is trying to tear them down, or he is just acting like he does for a buck. Either reason isn't a good one and as you pointed out earlier doesn't help society. I think it is kind of hard to like anything that the guy has to say without feeling deep down as he does. Why can't we get back to the point where we mind our own business, and are courteous to people that think differently?! It shouldn't be offensive though to have someone want to share something they believe with you though, as long as they are doing it for the right reasons.