Author Topic: PEDs / Steroid in Sports: Where Do You Stand?  (Read 20737 times)

Re: PEDs / Steroid in Sports: Where Do You Stand?
« Reply #75 on: September 18, 2023, 11:21:55 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
It's hilariously ironic that the person who oversaw and benefited the most from the baseball steroid era, Bud Selig, is in the hall of fame.  But the majority of the players who put him there are forever shunned.   Doesn't seem to be much of an issue in baseball.

If it is in the NBA, The star-based officiating dwarfs it as an issue.

Is infamy fame?  If so, the HOF should unabashedly tell the full story of baseball and include its ‘villains’. Consider a ‘Hall of Infamy’ around the corner from Fame busts. Busts for Shoeless Joe, Pete Rose, Barry Bonds, Clemens.  None them committed murder and all of them contributed to baseball’s history. The steroid era was a blast. Only time I’ve had interest in baseball since I was a kid.

Each one of Rose, Bonds, Clemens tells an amazing story of spectacularly gifted players with unprecedented achievements, but with a substantial downside.  Would be the most interesting stories in the Hall and would reflect a museum wanting to tell its actual history.

The thing is, the Hall is already full of guys with bad character (Ty Cobb), as well as guys who cheated in various ways (spit balls, scuffed balls, "glue", pine tar, greenies).  Plus, there's no real way to distinguish between who used versus who didn't; you've got guys like Piazza, Pudge Rodriguez, Big Papi and Jeff Bagwell who all seem like likely candidates, but they made it in. 

So yeah, let them all in, and list their accomplishments as well as their alleged blemishes.  And, when I look back in 30 years, my guess is I'll still remember Clemens and Bonds and McGwire and Sosa, without giving a care about some of the "Hall of Famers" they let in because they have to elect somebody.

And, on the subject of "infamy"...  Curt Schilling belongs in the HOF.  He was a legit ace for multiple WS teams.  I don't care that he's a jerk and a conspiracy theorist. 

And, going even further out on a limb...  put Manny in there, too.  That guy was one of the most feared batters in baseball ever.  And, his counting stats are pretty crazy:  .312 avg; career .998 OPS; 555 HRs; 1813 RBIs; 12x All-Star.  I just don't care that he cheated, in an era where if you weren't cheating you weren't trying.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #76 on: September 18, 2023, 12:16:47 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Baseball's entire history is founded on cheating.  Which makes the hypocrisy of keeping out only 1 kind of cheating stand out so much.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #77 on: September 18, 2023, 12:17:09 PM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
It's hilariously ironic that the person who oversaw and benefited the most from the baseball steroid era, Bud Selig, is in the hall of fame.  But the majority of the players who put him there are forever shunned.   Doesn't seem to be much of an issue in baseball.

If it is in the NBA, The star-based officiating dwarfs it as an issue.

Is infamy fame?  If so, the HOF should unabashedly tell the full story of baseball and include its ‘villains’. Consider a ‘Hall of Infamy’ around the corner from Fame busts. Busts for Shoeless Joe, Pete Rose, Barry Bonds, Clemens.  None them committed murder and all of them contributed to baseball’s history. The steroid era was a blast. Only time I’ve had interest in baseball since I was a kid.

Each one of Rose, Bonds, Clemens tells an amazing story of spectacularly gifted players with unprecedented achievements, but with a substantial downside.  Would be the most interesting stories in the Hall and would reflect a museum wanting to tell its actual history.

The thing is, the Hall is already full of guys with bad character (Ty Cobb), as well as guys who cheated in various ways (spit balls, scuffed balls, "glue", pine tar, greenies).  Plus, there's no real way to distinguish between who used versus who didn't; you've got guys like Piazza, Pudge Rodriguez, Big Papi and Jeff Bagwell who all seem like likely candidates, but they made it in. 

So yeah, let them all in, and list their accomplishments as well as their alleged blemishes.  And, when I look back in 30 years, my guess is I'll still remember Clemens and Bonds and McGwire and Sosa, without giving a care about some of the "Hall of Famers" they let in because they have to elect somebody.

And, on the subject of "infamy"...  Curt Schilling belongs in the HOF.  He was a legit ace for multiple WS teams.  I don't care that he's a jerk and a conspiracy theorist. 

And, going even further out on a limb...  put Manny in there, too.  That guy was one of the most feared batters in baseball ever.  And, his counting stats are pretty crazy:  .312 avg; career .998 OPS; 555 HRs; 1813 RBIs; 12x All-Star.  I just don't care that he cheated, in an era where if you weren't cheating you weren't trying.

Only one of them got an eponymous Soundgarden song, though.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #78 on: September 18, 2023, 01:42:44 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
There's a lot of hypocrisy in baseball, as I think I stated previously in this thread. McGwire and Sosa basically saved MLB with their 1998 home run race after the disastrous strike of '94, and I'm convinced commissioner Bud Selig (and probably everyone else) knew what was happening with steroids, etc., but they let it go on because it was good for the game, but then threw McGwire and Sosa and other should-be Hall of Famers under the bus when they didn't need them anymore.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis