Author Topic: Shams: Expects Celtics to be active before trade deadline  (Read 17153 times)

Re: Shams: Celtics to be active before trade deadline
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2023, 01:59:05 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 422
Drummond from Chicago & Burks from Detroit are 2 vets that I like & probably just cost a second rounder for both
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2023, 02:14:22 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 299
I must be missing something with the Kornet hate. He is third on the depth chart at center. He's only playing meaningful minutes now because of the Porzingis injury. And with so much of the cap being dedicated to the starting 5 (including 4 players making over $31.8 each), at some point the quality of your depth will be effected.

« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2023, 02:24:41 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
The Cs biggest need is not backup PG or big man. They need a swing/wing in the worst way. Their lack of confidence in Brissett and Stevens is worrisome.

« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2023, 11:05:25 PM »

Offline Muzzy66

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 124
Kornet is fine.  They need to upgrade at the Brisit/Stevens position. Quickish defensive minded big wing w passable offense. Different position than Kornet but will still eat up his minutes.

I would agree with this assessment if not for Porzingis' injury history and the fact that al Horford is 37 years old and clearly not capable of productively playing 30 MPG for more than a 2 or 3 game stretch.  If we lost Porzingis for an extended period of time (like 10-15 games) the impact would be huge. 

Center is clearly our most vulnerable position I'd say.   

« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2023, 01:16:01 PM »

Offline No Nickname

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 85
Kornet is fine.  They need to upgrade at the Brisit/Stevens position. Quickish defensive minded big wing w passable offense. Different position than Kornet but will still eat up his minutes.

I would agree with this assessment if not for Porzingis' injury history and the fact that al Horford is 37 years old and clearly not capable of productively playing 30 MPG for more than a 2 or 3 game stretch.  If we lost Porzingis for an extended period of time (like 10-15 games) the impact would be huge. 

I think both Blake Griffin and the Celtics are waiting until February to bring him back.

Reduces the strain on his body, and allows him to gear up for 3rd string big man minutes in the last month of the regular season and playoffs.

« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2023, 01:35:22 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 554
Given the salaries the c's have to trade its just really hard to find any deal that makes a whole lot of sense. Outside of the C's starting five +Al/PP/Sam the c's have nobody else making any real money on this team, and those guys are all in their rotation right now.

That leaves the c's with the Grant Williams TPE. But finding a guy making 6 million or less who will also get minutes on the team is tough. And keep in mind that 6 million guy will actually be A LOT more expensive for ownership then 6 million actual dollars. I don't want to do the math but just adding 6 million in salary probably leads to something more like 20+ million in additional tax for the c's.

« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2023, 01:42:35 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25613
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Given the salaries the c's have to trade its just really hard to find any deal that makes a whole lot of sense. Outside of the C's starting five +Al/PP/Sam the c's have nobody else making any real money on this team, and those guys are all in their rotation right now.

That leaves the c's with the Grant Williams TPE. But finding a guy making 6 million or less who will also get minutes on the team is tough. And keep in mind that 6 million guy will actually be A LOT more expensive for ownership then 6 million actual dollars. I don't want to do the math but just adding 6 million in salary probably leads to something more like 20+ million in additional tax for the c's.

One of the unfortunate things is that we can no longer do the "trade for a player with a TPE, and then package him with others at the trade deadline for a higher-salaried player" option.  I would have traded for Otto Porter with the TPE, and then packaged him with Banton, Svi, picks and whoever else to land a good rotation player.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2023, 12:48:42 AM »

Offline ozgod

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1392

Yes it turns him into a $26m player, filling essentially what would be Luke Kornet's role as a nice to have security player "in case Al started breaking down" or "in case KP got injured". Even if Wyc said money was no object, if you were Brad and told him you wanted a nice to have guy that might not play all the time and it would cost $26m, it would be an awkward convo to have with your boss l I would think.

Now if one of those two scenarios actually happened, then I thnk it would be an easier sell.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2023, 08:22:51 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 745
Detroit is terrible. Isaiah Stewart is young and a huge part of their rotation but if they want to shake things up, I wonder if Beef Stew is gettable. He has some real toughness that would be nice off the bench.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2023, 12:21:57 PM »

Online CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353

Yes it turns him into a $26m player, filling essentially what would be Luke Kornet's role as a nice to have security player "in case Al started breaking down" or "in case KP got injured". Even if Wyc said money was no object, if you were Brad and told him you wanted a nice to have guy that might not play all the time and it would cost $26m, it would be an awkward convo to have with your boss l I would think.

Now if one of those two scenarios actually happened, then I thnk it would be an easier sell.

Wouldn’t it be prorated since we’re talking less than half the season at the trade deadline?

« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2023, 01:58:25 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3026
  • On To Banner 18!
I'm still gonna say it. Get Andre Drummond.

10-15 minutes a game, more physical than Kornet, much better rebounder, and he's also putting together a very good December so far (averaging 8/8 in about 14 minutes a game, as well as 1-2 blocks/game). You don't need to "rely" on him in the playoffs but the guy can eat up minutes the rest of this season + provide some toughness in the postseason that we no longer have with G-Will gone.

He only makes 3.3M this season so you can easily acquire him for a few seconds + the Grant TPE

In the playoffs you'll have to go through most of Turner, Giannis, Embiid, Bam, Orlando's bigs, and possibly Jokic or AD if they reach the Finals. Yes they have Porzingis/Horford but an insurance big would be vital too. G-Will functioned as that even when they had Horford/Timelord for stretches and held up well.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2023, 02:12:29 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3195

10-15 minutes a game, more physical than Kornet, much better rebounder, and he's also putting together a very good December so far (averaging 8/8 in about 14 minutes a game, as well as 1-2 blocks/game). You don't need to "rely" on him in the playoffs but the guy can eat up minutes the rest of this season + provide some toughness in the postseason that we no longer have with G-Will gone.

He only makes 3.3M this season so you can easily acquire him for a few seconds + the Grant TPE

In the playoffs you'll have to go through most of Turner, Giannis, Embiid, Bam, Orlando's bigs, and possibly Jokic or AD if they reach the Finals. Yes they have Porzingis/Horford but an insurance big would be vital too. G-Will functioned as that even when they had Horford/Timelord for stretches and held up well.

It helps Drummond get rebounds because no one guards him. He's a total liability at the free throw line. Did you not watch that game we played against the Bulls? I think Drummond would be disgruntled to come in as the fifth big...

« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2023, 03:01:59 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 557

Drummond ain't doing jack in the playoffs.  If he's your insurance big, you better start looking for a good deal on a coffin.  Don't know where you are getting 1-2 blocks per game.  He's 0.5 blk/game in December and 0.3 blk/game for the whole season.  Embiid, pretty much from first stepping on a NBA court, started renting space in Drummond's brain.  My mind can't even process that Drummond would be useful guarding Giannis.  In the playoffs, KP and Horford just need to be staggered so that they cover all non-garbage minutes at C. 

« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2023, 05:01:01 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 745

Drummond ain't doing jack in the playoffs.  If he's your insurance big, you better start looking for a good deal on a coffin.  Don't know where you are getting 1-2 blocks per game.  He's 0.5 blk/game in December and 0.3 blk/game for the whole season.  Embiid, pretty much from first stepping on a NBA court, started renting space in Drummond's brain.  My mind can't even process that Drummond would be useful guarding Giannis.  In the playoffs, KP and Horford just need to be staggered so that they cover all non-garbage minutes at C.
Drummond is a terrible defender. Always has been. And for someone as big, strong, and athletic as he is it's unacceptable to be as bad as he is on that end. I wouldn't want him anywhere near this team. He's awful.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2023, 11:20:16 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 739

I think both Blake Griffin and the Celtics are waiting until February to bring him back.

Reduces the strain on his body, and allows him to gear up for 3rd string big man minutes in the last month of the regular season and playoffs.

Sorta like PJ Brown did for the '08 team.

What would it have cost us to just keep Grant Williams ?
Did we simply unload him to save money ?
You gotta spend to win titles, Wyc. If not, then sell the team.

Of course, Joe would have to get his head out of his ass and play the guy meaningful minutes for Grant to have stayed in Boston.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2023, 11:29:28 PM by tenn_smoothie »
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce