Author Topic: Gotta remember to thank Sixers for Edwards and Langford  (Read 7337 times)

Gotta remember to thank Sixers for Edwards and Langford
« on: July 20, 2019, 02:33:48 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I think it strange that people can be down on Edwards or Langford in any way. Remember, both are now Celtics because Danny fleeced the Sixers into giving up extra assets just to assure they got the players they wanted. The Sixers desperately wanted Markelle Fultz in 2017 and Matisse Thybulle this year and Boston was in front of them in both drafts. So, Danny ended up trading down in both drafts with Philly and ended up with trades that ended up being:

Jayson Tatum and Romeo Langford for Markelle Fultz.

Grant Williams and Carsen Edwards for Matisse Thybulle

Now, Ainge most likely would have taken both Tatum and Williams in the draft positions they traded out of, but Philly thought their guys would be taken, so they gave up extra assets just to get their guys.

Their guys ended up being Markelle Fultz, a complete bust of a #1 pick, and Matisse Thybulle, who, it can be argued, showed less in Summer League than either of the two guys the Celtics took.

The Celtics got their guys, Tatum and Williams, but parlayed Philly's impatience and uncertainty of getting their guys, into Romeo Langford and Carsen Edwards. Now, Langford, we have not seen because of hand surgery but he was a top 5 high school recruit and, along with Edwards, probably the two best guards in the Big Ten this year. Edwards had a stellar Summer League and earned himself a nice 4 year deal as a 2nd rounder. Both have high ceilings and could be real steals for where they were taken in a bad draft.

Regardless, they are bonuses gotten because Danny convinced the Sixers they should give up other assets to get their guys. If both player's become rotational players or better(all the way up to stars) then Danny just completed two heists upon their old rivals.

So let's all cheer for and hope that Romeo and Carsen become great players and long term Celtics. That way Philly can see the great players they gave up, to get, hopefully, two complete busts.

Maybe this makes everyone feel better about Sixers stealing Horford.

Re: Gotta remember to thank Sixers for Edwards and Langford
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2019, 02:43:21 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
I read Ainge would have taken Clarke at 20.

Don’t remember how credible the source was and obviously they thought Clarke and Williams were close enough
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2019, 02:50:56 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Who is down on Edwards?  He appeared to be the consensus choice for that pick and  most folks seemed rather pleased with his summer league performance.  Langford was a more questionable choice at #14. 

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2019, 03:12:47 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

Don’t remember how credible the source was and obviously they thought Clarke and Williams were close enough
I read the Sixers were concerned about OKC taking Thybulle at 21.  Since Hinkie left, the Sixers haven't valued 2nd round picks.  They had 4 2nd rounders in the previous two drafts and only ended up with the #54 pick in both drafts. 
« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 05:16:29 PM by tazzmaniac »

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2019, 03:17:36 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

I have seen no credible source reporting this. I have seen a bunch of bloggers speculating it, but nothing from anyone credible.

Who is down on Edwards?  He appeared to be the consensus choice for that pick and  most folks seemed rather pleased with his summer league performance.  Langford was a more questionable choice at #14. 

There has been an occasional poster who has been critical. It was based on Edwards'(and also Waters') size more than anything.

All I am saying is given they were pickups due to trading down, they could become giant bonuses to this team. If the Sixers were patient, both Langford and Edwards could be Sixers right now. So I am going to cut both slack as much as possible since, they could easily be in Philly, and not Boston.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 04:59:29 PM by nickagneta »

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2019, 04:52:16 PM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286
This is probably one of the reasons that Danny couldn't get a sign and trade done with Philly on Al Horford.

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2019, 05:12:24 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
I think it strange that people can be down on Edwards or Langford in any way. Remember, both are now Celtics because Danny fleeced the Sixers into giving up extra assets just to assure they got the players they wanted. The Sixers desperately wanted Markelle Fultz in 2017 and Matisse Thybulle this year and Boston was in front of them in both drafts. So, Danny ended up trading down in both drafts with Philly and ended up with trades that ended up being:

Now, Ainge most likely would have taken both Tatum and Williams in the draft positions they traded out of, but Philly thought their guys would be taken, so they gave up extra assets just to get their guys.

Their guys ended up being Markelle Fultz, a complete bust of a #1 pick, and Matisse Thybulle, who, it can be argued, showed less in Summer League than either of the two guys the Celtics took.

The Celtics got their guys, Tatum and Williams, but parlayed Philly's impatience and uncertainty of getting their guys, into Romeo Langford and Carsen Edwards. Now, Langford, we have not seen because of hand surgery but he was a top 5 high school recruit and, along with Edwards, probably the two best guards in the Big Ten this year. Edwards had a stellar Summer League and earned himself a nice 4 year deal as a 2nd rounder. Both have high ceilings and could be real steals for where they were taken in a bad draft.

Regardless, they are bonuses gotten because Danny convinced the Sixers they should give up other assets to get their guys. If both player's become rotational players or better(all the way up to stars) then Danny just completed two heists upon their old rivals.

So let's all cheer for and hope that Romeo and Carsen become great players and long term Celtics. That way Philly can see the great players they gave up, to get, hopefully, two complete busts.

Thybull didn't look bad to me, if he is a bust SL didn't prove it, it also didn't prove anything about our guys. Gotta see them for a few years to really be certain.

I do hope we have the better picks though!
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2019, 05:13:13 PM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150

I have seen no credible source reporting this. I have seen a bunch of bloggers speculating it, but nothing from anyone credible.

There has been an occasional poster who has been critical. It was based on Edwards'(and also Waters') size more than anything.

All I am saying is given they were pickups due to trading down, they could become giant bonuses to this team. If the Sixers were patient, both Langford and Edwards could be Sixers right now. So I am going to cut both slack as much as possible since, they could easily be in Philly, and not Boston.

Romeo is still the mystery man. We know he can take the ball to the hole. But, can he score outside. Hopefully, they'll fix his shooting hitch because they say his overall release is good. 

In the beginning I was super high on Waters potential. On offense he's a true point guard - a wizard with the ball and a great assist man. Unfortunately, his height is going to be an issue going to the basket.

Defensively, he made some great steals and deflections. However, he's so weak he gets washed out on drives to the hoop. He's got to build some strength if he expects to stay in front of players.

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2019, 05:30:53 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
We can maybe thank them but I wanted Thybulle.

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2019, 05:36:23 PM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150

This is one trade that has the potential to come back to bite the Celtics. Watching both Williams and Carsen during the Summer League I was impressed. And, together they appear to have a lot more value than Thybulle.

One area Thybulle does excel at is perimeter defense. And, that is one aspect of the game the Celtics have lacked over the past couple seasons. Matisse has long arms and bothers shots. Since the NBA has virtually become a 3 point shooting contest, having someone who can act as a disrupter could prove invaluable.

Whenever I watched the Celtics lose games, there almost always was one or two players that couldn't miss from outside the arc. Even with Smart on defense they simply shot over him. Thybulle has the ability to stay close to his man. And, even if he isn't within 4 feet of the man, he closes in quickly and can sometimes block shots.  As of now there isn't anyone on the Celtics nearly as good as Thybulle on guarding the perimeter - including Smart.

Maybe Devonte Green can fill that role of a perimeter stopper - should he make the team. Otherwise, I predict we'll be reenacting the same story over and over again, e.g., we'll stay close for 2-3 quarters. Then, one, two or three opposing players will light it up from the arc causing the Celtics to falter. Sure I hope I'm wrong.       

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2019, 05:39:21 PM »

Offline otherdave

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 123
  • takes.....MAKES!!!!

Minor correction:   Ty Jerome (24th) and Carsen Edwards (33rd) for Matisse Thybulle

Grant Williams was picked (22nd) with C's own pick.

Ty Jerome and Aron Baynes then went to Suns for Bucks 1st rd pick next year.

For about a half an hour or so a lot of stuff was happening quickly for the C's on draft night.  :)

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2019, 05:50:39 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

This is one trade that has the potential to come back to bite the Celtics. Watching both Williams and Carsen during the Summer League I was impressed. And, together they appear to have a lot more value than Thybulle.

One area Thybulle does excel at is perimeter defense. And, that is one aspect of the game the Celtics have lacked over the past couple seasons. Matisse has long arms and bothers shots. Since the NBA has virtually become a 3 point shooting contest, having someone who can act as a disrupter could prove invaluable.

Whenever I watched the Celtics lose games, there almost always was one or two players that couldn't miss from outside the arc. Even with Smart on defense they simply shot over him. Thybulle has the ability to stay close to his man. And, even if he isn't within 4 feet of the man, he closes in quickly and can sometimes block shots.  As of now there isn't anyone on the Celtics nearly as good as Thybulle on guarding the perimeter - including Smart.

Maybe Devonte Green can fill that role of a perimeter stopper - should he make the team. Otherwise, I predict we'll be reenacting the same story over and over again, e.g., we'll stay close for 2-3 quarters. Then, one, two or three opposing players will light it up from the arc causing the Celtics to falter. Sure I hope I'm wrong.     
Thybulle looked like a smaller RoCo which is what the Sixers need from him.  Disruptive on defense.  Shot 39% from 3 and looked comfortable doing so.  Also a pretty poor ball handler which is RoCo-like too. 

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2019, 06:10:56 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
All the trades and who we eventually got from each one makes my head hurt.  Bottom line is there are quite a few young players on the C's in the upcoming year who have the potential to strike some gold. 

Put aside the Jays who are still just 22 and 21... C's have Bob, Grant, Carsen, Waters and Romeo each of whom has a chance to turn some heads this year.    Also might have Tacko and we'll see what Poirier has. 

I know you don't build champions on the hope of striking gold with mid-late 1st or 2nd round strike (a Kawhi, Siakem, Gobert, Draymond, Milsap, Arenas... - type strike).   But when a team with a good core does get an unexpected surprise, it can be huge.  The C's just seem to have more chances of this happening with this crew than they've typically had in the past. I'm not betting on it, but there seem to be some respectable ceilings among the young folk.

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2019, 06:33:05 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
all i can think about is them stealing away Horford ......usa ing. our best man against us .. >:(

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2019, 06:50:58 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
all i can think about is them stealing away Horford ......usa ing. our best man against us .. >:(

yeah that kind of evened out the score for me too....ugg.  Not sure who to be mad at though....??