Author Topic: Gotta remember to thank Sixers for Edwards and Langford  (Read 7518 times)

Re: Gotta remember to thank Sixers for Edwards and Langford
« Reply #45 on: July 21, 2019, 07:46:36 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551
I don't know how clever it was to take Thybulle, really. It seemed like a d---- move to me. It's not like other franchises didn't know the Sixers coveted Thybulle, but they didn't attempt this kind of extortion.

I wonder if the Celtics already knew at the time Philly was throwing offers at Horford? And as someone mentioned, I wonder if it hurt any chance we had at a sign and trade when Horford eventually did sign there. Karma is a, well, you know.

why and how did it come to be known that Sixers wanted Thybulle? Why did they want him, and why couldnt they keep it to themselves?
The Sixers worked out Thybulle very early in the process.  Shortly after doing so Thybulle stopped doing workouts and the rumor was some team made him a promise.  The Sixers also stopped working out anyone who'd likely be picked at the #24.  So it didn't take a genius to put the two items together and figure out it was the Sixers who had made him the promise.  After the draft, Thybulle confirmed there was a promise from the Sixers. 

The Sixers want Thybulle because of his skillset.  He was a very good, very disruptive defender in college.  Winning National Defensive Player of the year awards in his senior season.  In his senior season. he shot poorly from 3 but his previous 3 seasons he was a solid 3pt shooter.  They also wanted him because he's a senior who's more likely to be ready to play rather than a prospect who will take years to develop.  He's a very good fit for them.  A RoCo replacement albeit a bit smaller.