Author Topic: Celtics to trade Lee for Jerryd Bayless?  (Read 48216 times)

Re: Celtics to trade Lee for Jerryd Bayless?
« Reply #210 on: January 07, 2014, 11:43:23 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Quote from: WEEI
Gomes’ involvement in the deal appears to be a salary dump by Oklahoma City to help facilitate the trade and create a small amount of cap space, Stein reported. The Celtics are expected to waive the former Providence College star before the remainder of his $884,293 salary becomes guaranteed on Tuesday.
I'm confused with the whole Gomes situation. If he is non-guaranteed and can be waived today, how exactly is that saving OKC money? Can't they just waive him themselves?

They would have saved whatever future salary he was owed.  However, the amount they had already paid him (say, $400k) would have counted toward OKC's cap and luxury tax.  Now, it counts against ours.  OKC probably sent some money along to compensate us.

thanks roy for clearing that up. i had the same question as kozy on this.

on a related question, is the reason the celtics are including gomes in this deal to make salaries match? or, is it doing a "favor" to OKC, which may pay off down the line? or both? or neither?  :)

Looks like Boston and Memphis tried to go through with the original deal, but I guess the league told them it couldn't work as intended. Calls were made, OKC got involved, gave the requisite filler in Gomes' contract to make the deal work.  I don't think this was a show of goodwill towards the Thunder as much as it was that Boston needed help, so they reached out to OKC.

We could have made it work with trade exceptions, couldn't we?

« Reply #211 on: January 07, 2014, 11:44:28 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Gomes’ involvement in the deal appears to be a salary dump by Oklahoma City to help facilitate the trade and create a small amount of cap space, Stein reported. The Celtics are expected to waive the former Providence College star before the remainder of his $884,293 salary becomes guaranteed on Tuesday.
I'm confused with the whole Gomes situation. If he is non-guaranteed and can be waived today, how exactly is that saving OKC money? Can't they just waive him themselves?

They would have saved whatever future salary he was owed.  However, the amount they had already paid him (say, $400k) would have counted toward OKC's cap and luxury tax.  Now, it counts against ours.  OKC probably sent some money along to compensate us.

on a related question, is the reason the celtics are including gomes in this deal to make salaries match? or, is it doing a "favor" to OKC, which may pay off down the line? or both? or neither?  :)

Looks like Boston and Memphis tried to go through with the original deal, but I guess the league told them it couldn't work as intended. Calls were made, OKC got involved, gave the requisite filler in Gomes' contract to make the deal work.  I don't think this was a show of goodwill towards the Thunder as much as it was that Boston needed help, so they reached out to OKC.
I like Gomes. I won't be terribly disappointed if we keep him for SF depth.

edit: It seems, though, that he's waived already. Ah well.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #212 on: January 07, 2014, 11:53:02 AM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Really looking forward to getting the "official" story behind this trade. [Paging Mr. Forsberg: Mr. Forsberg, please pick up the white courtesy phone.] Especially why OKC had to step in to help broker the deal.

Some sources are reporting that Memphis got a 2nd from Boston, others are saying OKC ended up with two conditional seconds.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #213 on: January 07, 2014, 12:23:42 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182

Well, I obviously wasn't involved, but I'd imagine if they could've done the original deal, they would've done it. Clearly something came up, which would explain both the delay and why it was expanded.

« Reply #214 on: January 07, 2014, 12:35:53 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Whatever it's done. It will be interesting to read the details whenever that will post

Does anyone know if Bayless will play tonight?

« Reply #215 on: January 07, 2014, 12:40:52 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
Whatever it's done. It will be interesting to read the details whenever that will post

I'd heard he'd arrived in Denver last night.

« Reply #216 on: January 07, 2014, 12:42:31 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
Any trade exception for the C's in this ?

« Reply #217 on: January 07, 2014, 12:45:49 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Well, I obviously wasn't involved, but I'd imagine if they could've done the original deal, they would've done it. Clearly something came up, which would explain both the delay and why it was expanded.

My point was, if we *could* have completed the trade using only trade exceptions and didn't, we could be trying to preserve the trade exception for future use.

« Reply #218 on: January 07, 2014, 01:14:51 PM »

Offline furball

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 95

Baxter Holmes ‏@BaxterHolmes 17m

Jerryd Bayless is available to play tonight. He will come off the bench.

« Reply #219 on: January 07, 2014, 01:54:58 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Baxter Holmes ‏@BaxterHolmes 17m

Jerryd Bayless is available to play tonight. He will come off the bench.

sweet.

« Reply #220 on: January 07, 2014, 02:21:39 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
Bayless already talking up Rondo knowing hell probably help him get his next paycheck: he's the best point guard in the league

;D
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #221 on: January 07, 2014, 03:45:42 PM »

Online hardlyyardley

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
Another second round pick gone

« Reply #222 on: January 07, 2014, 03:50:17 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

My point was, if we *could* have completed the trade using only trade exceptions and didn't, we could be trying to preserve the trade exception for future use.

Tim, I'm inclined to side with your suspicions here. My totally baseless, utterly out-of-the-blue guess is that Presti heard about the trade then offered to help keep our TE fully intact in exchange for helping the thunder get some payroll relief.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #223 on: January 07, 2014, 07:35:38 PM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Another second round pick gone

The picks are protected 51-55. OKC will only get the pick if the Celts get a top 10 to top 5 record.

The Grizzlies pick has similar protections.

It's just a throw in so that we're actually giving something to comply with the spirit of trades.

Source: http://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/1umrrx/thunder_acquires_two_secondround_draft_picks_in/cejr08s

« Reply #224 on: January 07, 2014, 07:38:44 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
http://www.nba.com/thunder/news/thunder-acquires-two-second-round-draft-picks

The Oklahoma City Thunder acquired a pair of conditional second-round draft picks from the Memphis Grizzlies as part of a three-team deal, it was announced today by Executive Vice President and General Manager Sam Presti. Included in the trade, the Thunder sent forward Ryan Gomes to the Boston Celtics and cash considerations to the Grizzlies.

Oklahoma City acquired the 2014 Philadelphia 76ers’ second-round pick (conditional), which was owned by the Grizzlies. Additionally, the Thunder acquired the Grizzlies’ 2017 second-round draft selection (conditional).

As part of the three-team trade, the Grizzlies acquired guard Courtney Lee and a 2016 second-round draft pick from the Celtics in exchange for guard Jerryd Bayless.

Neither of the conditional second rounders going to OKC are from Boston.

This means that there were three second rounders involved in the deal.