Author Topic: Celtics to trade Lee for Jerryd Bayless?  (Read 48228 times)

Re: Celtics to trade Lee for Jerryd Bayless?
« Reply #75 on: January 05, 2014, 07:09:27 PM »

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
so if we can move bass for an expiring could we offer a max contract next year?

Say we move Bass for expiring  , and bottom out with a top 5 pick...

Sign Melo to a max deal

Now have the # 5 or higher pick to draft or trade for another big piece .

Melo is your # 1 scorerer and finisher
Sully is the # 2 option and beast in the low post
Rondo is # 3 option and sets everyone up
Green as 6th man off bench
-Bradley would fit perfectly at 2 guard, but not sure we can resign him , and still sign a max FA ?

We would be a rim protector away from a legit contender IMO

I am pretty sure in this scenario, Danny would package a first along with Wallace to get him off the books. It would be great to do it by the trade deadline so we could acquire an expiring. If it's after the season, we could really only trade with a team under the cap...which may require more than just a first.

Also, you should expect Green to be traded - hopefully with Det for Monroe.

This is all very plausible. If we can parlay Bass or Humphries into a first, we will have plenty of picks to work with this offseason.

« Reply #76 on: January 05, 2014, 07:09:58 PM »

Offline rondoallaturca

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 350
  • DKC Memphis Grizzlies
Money-conscious Memphis has to have another deal lined up. There is no way they absorb this much salary for a Courtney Lee level player straight up.

« Reply #77 on: January 05, 2014, 07:11:50 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
With Lee out tonight and Brooks in the D-League I wonder if there will be a KEITH BOGANS sighting!

BOGANS FIRST GUARD OFF THE BENCH? WHAAAT?

Somewhere Bogans is thinking "Hey, that whining about playing time really paid off! I should do that more often!"

And somewhere Courtney Lee is thinking "Hey, that whining about playing time DIDN'T pay off! I should shut my mouth more often!"

Haha. Well apparently, Keith Bogans is a much more persuasive dude than Courtney Lee.

On a serious note: lots of credit to Ainge for selling high on Lee. Six months ago this deal would have been unthinkable.

« Reply #78 on: January 05, 2014, 07:14:54 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3062
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
Bayless is irrelevant.  It's purely a salary dump.

Should be interesting to see if there is more salary dumps to come.  We still have big contracts on the books for a team that is 3-5 years away from competing:  Wallace, Bass, Green, Rondo.

Obviously Rondo and Green have more trade value than Wallace and Bass.

One down.

Bayless can give you 25 points in one quarter though. lol
This does something rather interesting.  If Boston lets Bradley and Crawford walk, they now only have 43 mil in committed salary next season.  Cap is generally 58 mil.   We have to sign our draft picks, though... which will cut into that.  If we can dump Bass's salary, we might be looking at enough space to chase a significant free agent.
Gordon Hayward?
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #79 on: January 05, 2014, 07:15:59 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I knew that there was something behind sending Marshon Brooks to the D-League.

I thought this was happening-

Quote from: chambers on January 02, 2014, 06:11:42 AM
Of course it could be he's just getting some game time because he's got nothing better to do on the bench of the C's.

I should have worded my last post better but its hard to type a lot on the cell phone sometimes.

I agree with shak that something is fishy, we have different thoughts on why something fishy is up.

For a team that's trying to develop young guys, this may be the best way to do just that by giving Brooks some game time in D League.
It's just my personal opinion that he's been put on ice while we showcase the other guards.
Statistically he's a pretty good player on offense and his defense is average.
In Brooklyn in his second year he was shooting 46% from the field in 4 attempts a game as a jumpshooter althought his three point shooting was poor. His form looks good though and it's tough to say how much better he's gotten from behind the arc considering his pathetic playing time.

I'd say there's a big chance that we trade one or two of Lee, Bradley and Crawford and he slides into the regular rotation- that's what I mean by something 'fishy' being up.
Just pure speculation on my behalf but taking him out and giving him serious time with the scrubs is being done for a reason.
They said he wont be there long so maybe something is in the works :)

TP... should free up some minutes for Brooks.
How does trading a very good role playing guard for a very good role playing guard open up time for MarShon Brooks, a guard and the last player on the depth chart, a horrible one at that?

Lee took SG minutes, Bayless more than likely will take PG minutes. That means it's more likely that Bayless would be taking on Pressey's minutes as oppossed to Lee taking on potential Brook minutes. But Bayless can function out there with two PGs on the floor... but it's a different dynamic rotation wise.

« Reply #80 on: January 05, 2014, 07:17:19 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Money-conscious Memphis has to have another deal lined up. There is no way they absorb this much salary for a Courtney Lee level player straight up.

It might be worth mentioning that Lee has a fairly significant edge over Bayless in PER while only being a 2 million dollar increase in salary over Jerryd...

And that they've hired John Hollinger, the guy who invented PER, to helm their statistician squad.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #81 on: January 05, 2014, 07:19:11 PM »

Offline rondoallaturca

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 350
  • DKC Memphis Grizzlies

It might be worth mentioning that Lee has a fairly significant edge over Bayless in PER while only being a 2 million dollar increase in salary over Jerryd...

And that they've hired John Hollinger, the guy who invented PER, to helm their statistician squad.

Yeah, Lee's viewed favorably by advanced statistics so I'm not surprised Hollinger grabbed him. Also, my apologies; I was not aware Bayless was making north of $3M.

EDIT: Actually, this trade would still bring Memphis to about $200K away from the tax threshold. Cutting Seth Curry, and they'd still be just $500K. I doubt they'd be comfortable being that close to the luxury tax. I still expect them to make a follow-up move.

« Reply #82 on: January 05, 2014, 07:20:06 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

Of course it could be he's just getting some game time because he's got nothing better to do on the bench of the C's.

I should have worded my last post better but its hard to type a lot on the cell phone sometimes.

I agree with shak that something is fishy, we have different thoughts on why something fishy is up.

For a team that's trying to develop young guys, this may be the best way to do just that by giving Brooks some game time in D League.
It's just my personal opinion that he's been put on ice while we showcase the other guards.
In Brooklyn in his second year he was shooting 46% from the field in 4 attempts a game as a jumpshooter althought his three point shooting was poor. His form looks good though and it's tough to say how much better he's gotten from behind the arc considering his pathetic playing time.

I'd say there's a big chance that we trade one or two of Lee, Bradley and Crawford and he slides into the regular rotation- that's what I mean by something 'fishy' being up.
Just pure speculation on my behalf but taking him out and giving him serious time with the scrubs is being done for a reason.

How does trading a very good role playing guard for a very good role playing guard open up time for MarShon Brooks, a guard and the last player on the depth chart, a horrible one at that?

Lee took SG minutes, Bayless more than likely will take PG minutes. That means it's more likely that Bayless would be taking on Pressey's minutes as oppossed to Lee taking on potential Brook minutes. But Bayless can function out there with two PGs on the floor... but it's a different dynamic rotation wise.

Speaking of the future, I'm a little surprised no one has spun this into a "Rondo will be traded" or "Rondo will definitely not return this year" theory yet.

« Reply #83 on: January 05, 2014, 07:20:15 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Bayless is a combo guard, and a pretty good one at that. He can just take on Lee's role.

Now if Brooks starts getting minutes over Bayless, then I am going to start believing that Ainge is telling Stevens who to play and who not to play in a full out tank job. There's just no way Brooks deserves minutes over Bayless. Bayless is just too good.

« Reply #84 on: January 05, 2014, 07:22:21 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
BTW, howmany of the CB old timers remember the trade Rondo for Bayless threads years ago and how people scoffed at how Portland would never trade a talent like Bayless who could shoot and score for someone like Rondo.

Now they are both on the same team.....for now.

« Reply #85 on: January 05, 2014, 07:27:02 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568

Bayless is a combo guard, and a pretty good one at that. He can just take on Lee's role.

Now if Brooks starts getting minutes over Bayless, then I am going to start believing that Ainge is telling Stevens who to play and who not to play in a full out tank job. There's just no way Brooks deserves minutes over Bayless. Bayless is just too good.

I'm not arguing Bayless is worse than Brooks but let's not act like its miles apart.

Bayless is shooting 37% and 28% from 3pt.

I have no issue giving Brooks at least equal minutes to Bayless.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #86 on: January 05, 2014, 07:28:19 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

I'm not advocating who should play. All I'm saying that Lee and Bayless are two different players who'll affect the rotation differently. With Bayless there's a better opportunity for Brooks to get on the floor than there was with Lee. Whether he gets in or not, whether he earns minutes or not, is quite irrelevant.

Fact is that we lack size in our guard position, something that Lee provided off the bench, and now Bogans is the other alternative.

How much playing time will Bayless have though in order to get SG minutes, if you assume he'll get all the back-up PG minutes?

Right off the bat logic should let you infer that the effect of Bayless instead of Lee in the rotation is how it'll affect the back-up PG minutes firstly, and how it'll open up opportunities for a SG off the bench instead. The X factor would be how many minutes will Stevens allocate to Bayless. He could get all the bench minutes on those positions, but I severely doubt it.

Guess he could play Pressey and Bayless together, but that's a lot of size they're giving up without the defense to support it.

« Reply #87 on: January 05, 2014, 07:31:04 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
any relation to Skip Bayless?/ lol

« Reply #88 on: January 05, 2014, 07:34:22 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
supports the rebuild of the Celtics…like Lee …but that contract just needed to GO .

Gerrrrrrate…….the Tank rolls forward.

Now dump Wallace and Bass ….we'll be in business
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 07:39:43 PM by SHAQATTACK »

« Reply #89 on: January 05, 2014, 07:35:42 PM »

Offline tyrone biggums

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
BTW, howmany of the CB old timers remember the trade Rondo for Bayless threads years ago and how people scoffed at how Portland would never trade a talent like Bayless who could shoot and score for someone like Rondo.

Now they are both on the same team.....for now.

Yeah I remember. I'm assuming when Jimmer gets traded or signs here we'll reminisce about the Rondo for Jimmer/Tyreke Evans dream scenarios too. Ainge must trade for every scrub that has been rumored to be moved for Rondo in the last 3 years in order to confuse the internet GM's!!!