Author Topic: Celtics to trade Lee for Jerryd Bayless?  (Read 48216 times)

Re: Celtics to trade Lee for Jerryd Bayless?
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2014, 05:58:29 PM »

Offline Mencius

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
I tried the espn trade machine and said failed

Assuming no other salary would be going with Bayless to Boston, Memphis would probably use the TE from the Rudy Gay trade to absorb Lee's salary.
I thought trade exceptions could not be combined with actual players.  Maybe I'm wrong.  I was thinking either Franklin or Leuer would be coming our way along with Bayless.

I like the move.  Didn't make sense to keep Lee's salary on the books for 2 years after this.  I'm sure Danny will still be open to trading Bass or Hump, too.  One down, at least one to go.

« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2014, 05:58:38 PM »

Offline tyrone biggums

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
A. Sherrod Blakely ‏@SherrodbCSN
Source: Courtney Lee trade to #Grizzlies is close to being completed.

This means it's bogus, correct?

« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2014, 05:59:23 PM »

Offline timobusa

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 284
  • Bleed Green, Die Green
Curious why the call is happening tomorrow, though. Are the offices closed today?

Snow day. LOL

« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2014, 05:59:46 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Bayless is irrelevant.  It's purely a salary dump.

Should be interesting to see if there is more salary dumps to come.  We still have big contracts on the books for a team that is 3-5 years away from competing:  Wallace, Bass, Green, Rondo.

Obviously Rondo and Green have more trade value than Wallace and Bass.

One down.

« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2014, 06:01:30 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352

Assuming no other salary would be going with Bayless to Boston, Memphis would probably use the TE from the Rudy Gay trade to absorb Lee's salary.
I thought trade exceptions could not be combined with actual players.  Maybe I'm wrong.  I was thinking either Franklin or Leuer would be coming our way along with Bayless.

I like the move.  Didn't make sense to keep Lee's salary on the books for 2 years after this.  I'm sure Danny will still be open to trading Bass or Hump, too.  One down, at least one to go.

Technically, I believe it'll be a two step-transaction: Memphis will use the Gay TE to take Lee, and then trade Bayless to Boston, who will absorb Bayless' salary via the TE created by trading Lee to Memphis.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2014, 06:02:02 PM »

Offline timobusa

• Ray Allen
  • Bleed Green, Die Green

Should be interesting to see if there is more salary dumps to come.  We still have big contracts on the books for a team that is 3-5 years away from competing:  Wallace, Bass, Green, Rondo.

One down.

Bayless can give you 25 points in one quarter though. lol

« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2014, 06:03:39 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
A. Sherrod Blakely ‏@SherrodbCSN
Source: Courtney Lee trade to #Grizzlies is close to being completed.

This means it's bogus, correct?

Ha! TP.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2014, 06:04:07 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

One down.

This does something rather interesting.  If Boston lets Bradley and Crawford walk, they now only have 43 mil in committed salary next season.  Cap is generally 58 mil.   We have to sign our draft picks, though... which will cut into that.  If we can dump Bass's salary, we might be looking at enough space to chase a significant free agent.

« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2014, 06:05:31 PM »

Offline Mencius

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103

Technically, I believe it'll be a two step-transaction: Memphis will use the Gay TE to take Lee, and then trade Bayless to Boston, who will absorb Bayless' salary via the TE created by trading Lee to Memphis.
Oh, thanks.  Well, that's creative if it works out that way.

« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2014, 06:07:05 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Oh, thanks.  Well, that's creative if it works out that way.
That's legal?  If you use a trade exception to absorb salary, the other team gets a trade exception?  You sure they wouldn't absorb Lee using the Gay trade exception... and then Boston absorb's bayless using part of the Pierce trade exception?

« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2014, 06:08:40 PM »

Offline timobusa

• Ray Allen
  • Bleed Green, Die Green

One down.

This does something rather interesting.  If Boston lets Bradley and Crawford walk, they now only have 43 mil in committed salary next season.  Cap is generally 58 mil.   We have to sign our draft picks, though... which will cut into that.  If we can dump Bass's salary, we might be looking at enough space to chase a significant free agent.

Maybe thats the plan?
Good move by danny though. This season is a wash. Although a fun wash I might add. I love watching this team this season.

But I think thats a good move.
Now if Danny moves Gerald Wallaces horrible contract, that would be amazing

« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2014, 06:09:42 PM »

Offline The Rondo Show

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 364
  • Hook 'Em
Apparently it's official
DKC Suns

« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2014, 06:09:54 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
That's legal?
Yes.

ah, I see you edited. You can learn all about trade exceptions, how they're created, and how they work from the FAQ:
http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q81
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2014, 06:11:50 PM »

Offline prov1ml34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 68
With Lee out tonight and Brooks in the D-League I wonder if there will be a KEITH BOGANS sighting!
DKC Dallas Mavericks                         
PG: Darren Collison
SG: OJ Mayo
SF: Jae Crowder
PF: Dirk Nowitzki/Jackie Carmichael
C: Brandan Wright/Rudy Gobert
Coach - Rick Carlisle

« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2014, 06:12:52 PM »

Offline jojowhite10

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 49
Only way we dump Wallace's contract is if he starts playing significantly more minutes and starts scoring more.

I think this is a good move for Ainge. I am curious whether trading for an expiring means he plans on letting Humphries expire at the end of the year as well