Author Topic: There’s Still Hope: The TPE in 2021 Trade Deadline/Offseason  (Read 16509 times)

Re: There’s Still Hope: The TPE in 2021 Trade Deadline/Offseason
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2020, 09:58:45 PM »

Offline michigan adam

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
The weakness is swing, not wing.  Tatum should not have to play PF all of his minutes.

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2020, 10:21:03 PM »

Offline todd_days_41

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 1074
  • B2B 2022 and 2023 Trade Deadline Guru
The weakness is swing, not wing.  Tatum should not have to play PF all of his minutes.

I’d start by signing Cheik Diallo off the street. Dude could be very effective as a plastic man 4 off the bench for the Cs. I’d be surprised if he couldn’t beat out one of Ojelaye, Edwards, or Green (all of which could likely be traded if not cut) in camp.

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2020, 10:25:53 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

Ballhandlers
Wings
Bigs

Swings are not in the coach’s vocabulary. Nor in mine. We just lost a valuable wing in Hayward who needs to be replaced.

« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2020, 10:37:07 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I’d love to see us split the TPE, use a portion this year and the rest next off-season.

Names I’d watch:

Tier 1 (probably not realistic and would require salary being dumped elsewhere):
Clint Capela
Myles Turner
Gary Harris
Gorgi Dieng

Tier 2 (more realistic possibilities this year that keep us under the cap)
Danny Green
Rudy Gay
Thaddeus Young
JJ Redick
Justise Winslow
Trevor Ariza
Larry Nance Jr
Do you really think that after all that happened with the Pacer negotiations there is even an iota of a chance Ainge is interested in Turner. There is some chance that if Ainge liked Turner, he would currently be a Celtic and Gordon a Pacer. Now maybe not because Gordon has a good agent and would still have shopped Indy's offer, but there is a chance. But that didn't happen because Ainge reportedly had zero interest in Turner.

Hayward is not a Pacer because they didn’t give him what Charlotte offered him.

Ainge didn’t have interest in SOLELY Turner for Hayward. And I don’t blame him. Turner, McD, and a first (I probably would have done it) but I don’t think Danny is wrong to put Hayward’s value at more than that because it is.

If the Pacers have Turner at “reportedly very attainable” level, I can see Ainge offering Seconds for Turner, especially if they want to sign Oladipo to an extension.

« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2020, 10:38:37 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I’d love to see us split the TPE, use a portion this year and the rest next off-season.

Names I’d watch:

Tier 1 (probably not realistic and would require salary being dumped elsewhere):
Clint Capela
Myles Turner
Gary Harris
Gorgi Dieng

Danny Green
Rudy Gay
Thaddeus Young
JJ Redick
Justise Winslow
Trevor Ariza
Larry Nance Jr

Sad if that is our tier 1 list. No one on it fills wing depth need.

Actually wouldn’t mind making a play for Winslow. He’d be a good fit.

Tier 1 in terms of who we can afford this off-season without going over the luxury tax.

That tier one list grows next off-season if we chose to wait to use it then. We won’t be hardcapped and WYC has said he’d go into the lux tax for this team.

« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2020, 01:58:33 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
As others have echoed, Barnes or Gordon would be great.

A depth chart of:

PG: Kemba Walker - Jeff Teague - Pritchard
SG: Jaylen Brown - Marcus Smart - Romeo Langford
SF: Jayson Tatum - BAE (GR3?) - Aaron Nesmith
PF: Aaron Gordon / Harrison Barnes - Grant Williams - Semi Ojeleye
C: Tristan Thompson - Daniel Theis - Robert Williams

Has me excited
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2020, 07:20:13 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25634
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
BAE (GR3?)

Signed in Sactown.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2020, 07:27:42 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
My predictions: we don't use the TPE this season at all (likely), but instead use it next summer to acquire old friend Al Horford (less likely), and then flip him at a later date for someone making $33+ million (very unlikely)
I'm bitter.

« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2020, 07:30:03 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
As has been clarified by a few people, the TPE cannot be "supplemented" by adding other players' salaries to a deal, the player you are acquiring has to fit the TPE.  That means we can't use it to bring in one star if the salary exceeds the TPE value.  I guess we could use the TPE to bring in a player at say $25M and then add a $10M player from the roster and trade the new player and the $10M player for a $35M player in a 3-way, although there always seems to be one more rule in the CBA that I am not aware of so I don't know this for sure.

The TPE can be broken up and used in multiple trades, I am pretty sure this is true.  I think the more likely scenario is that it is used on two or three separate players in separate deals, all in the $10M or less range.  I don't know who those players may end up being but that is enough to get a decent veteran wing off the bench for example.  The TPE allows you to be opportunistic when the right player becomes available.

« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2020, 07:47:10 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25634
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
As has been clarified by a few people, the TPE cannot be "supplemented" by adding other players' salaries to a deal, the player you are acquiring has to fit the TPE.  That means we can't use it to bring in one star if the salary exceeds the TPE value.  I guess we could use the TPE to bring in a player at say $25M and then add a $10M player from the roster and trade the new player and the $10M player for a $35M player in a 3-way, although there always seems to be one more rule in the CBA that I am not aware of so I don't know this for sure.

You can’t do that, exactly, unless you wait 60 days.

What we can do is trade for somebody making $28.5 million, and then immediately flip them for somebody making up to $35.725 million.

So, it’s a technical possibility to acquire Otto Porter with our TPE, and then immediately trade him in a second transaction for Paul George.  Then, the following day we can trade George for somebody making up to $43.163 million, which covers everybody in the league.  Steph Curry in green, in three easy steps.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 07:52:36 AM by Roy H. »

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2020, 07:57:02 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
BAE (GR3?)

Signed in Sactown.
What a strange signing. Guess he likes Cali.

Guess something else could be on the books. Korver could be cool as a role model for Nesmith
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2020, 08:35:57 AM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
My predictions: we don't use the TPE this season at all (likely), but instead use it next summer to acquire old friend Al Horford (less likely), and then flip him at a later date for someone making $33+ million (very unlikely)
I’m fine with Horford .. he was not bad when he played the 5 at Philly.. a bit overpriced but can contribute in some ways.

« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2020, 08:38:05 AM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 52

Names I’d watch:

Clint Capela
Myles Turner
Gary Harris
Gorgi Dieng

Danny Green
Rudy Gay
Thaddeus Young
JJ Redick
Justise Winslow
Trevor Ariza
Larry Nance Jr
Do you really think that after all that happened with the Pacer negotiations there is even an iota of a chance Ainge is interested in Turner. There is some chance that if Ainge liked Turner, he would currently be a Celtic and Gordon a Pacer. Now maybe not because Gordon has a good agent and would still have shopped Indy's offer, but there is a chance. But that didn't happen because Ainge reportedly had zero interest in Turner.

Hayward is not a Pacer because they didn’t give him what Charlotte offered him.

Ainge didn’t have interest in SOLELY Turner for Hayward. And I don’t blame him. Turner, McD, and a first (I probably would have done it) but I don’t think Danny is wrong to put Hayward’s value at more than that because it is.

If the Pacers have Turner at “reportedly very attainable” level, I can see Ainge offering Seconds for Turner, especially if they want to sign Oladipo to an extension.

TPE and a future pick for Turner would be funny.
'21 Historical Draft
PG: Kyle Lowry / Mookie Blaylock / Mark Jackson
SG: Reggie Miller / Jeff Hornacek / Nick Anderson
SF: George Gervin / George McGinnis / Kyle Korver
PF: Connie Hawkins / Serge Ibaka / Josh Smith
C: Clint Capela / Bill Laimbeer / Jusuf Nurkic

« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2020, 08:54:05 AM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am

What we can do is trade for somebody making $28.5 million, and then immediately flip them for somebody making up to $35.725 million.

So, it’s a technical possibility to acquire Otto Porter with our TPE, and then immediately trade him in a second transaction for Paul George.  Then, the following day we can trade George for somebody making up to $43.163 million, which covers everybody in the league.  Steph Curry in green, in three easy steps.

If that's legal then it's something which will probably be adressed in the next CBA, it's basically a loophole in the rules.
Interesting, but unlikely anyway to do something like that.

If the Celtics want to get another star (and with a salary>28.5M, you'd better hope so) they're going to trade Walker (+ assets), otherwise the roster becomes incredibly expensive.

« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2020, 08:55:25 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

So, it’s a technical possibility to acquire Otto Porter with our TPE, and then immediately trade him in a second transaction for Paul George.  Then, the following day we can trade George for somebody making up to $43.163 million, which covers everybody in the league. Steph Curry in green, in three easy steps.
Sounds like a good plan to get Giannis next offseason :laugh:
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA