Author Topic: Woj on ESPN: Cavs listening to offers for Kevin Love  (Read 19207 times)

Woj on ESPN: Cavs listening to offers for Kevin Love
« on: December 06, 2019, 09:25:46 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
Chopz@Pchopz_ 1h
Woj reported on ESPN that the Cavs are ready to listen to offers for Kevin Love.... So, here we go.

Woj also said that the Celtics had interest in Kevin Love in the past, but didn't specify on a team presently interested.

Video in this link: https://twitter.com/CTSportsRadio/status/1203117973990498304?s=20

Woj: Cavs ready to listen to offers for Kevin Love
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2019, 09:27:59 PM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1361
According to Woj Boston is one of the teams with interest.

“I’m told that Cleveland is ready now to listen to offers on Kevin Love as we get to that December 15 date and then the February trade deadline,” Wojnarowski said. “If somebody blows them away with an offer, this is a team clearly in a rebuild. Kevin Love is still player who, look at our teams who are all playing tonight who have all had interest in the recent past with him. Boston. Portland. Denver.

“He’s going to be a player very much in demand and I think there are going to be a lot conversations between Cleveland and teams all over the league about Love.”

https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/status/1203116586388905984?s=20

Here's the thing - assuming we're even still interested, who would we trade for him? If our top 5 are off limits, and Theis can't be included till mid Jan, we would have to include virtually all of the rest of the team just to make his 28m salary:

(Note the trade would probably succeed if we added Theis' $5m salary, but it would leave us with a roster of 6 players  :laugh: )

Can't see it happening...
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

Re: Woj: Cavs ready to listen to offers for Kevin Love
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2019, 09:41:56 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
It hurts, but Smart, Kanter, Langford, and Poirier is enough (edit: salary wise). Add in the Memphis pick?

Gives us a starting five of Walker-Brown-Tatum-Hayward-Love with Theis, Williams, Williams, Wanamaker, Edwards, Waters, Ojeleye, and Green off the bench.

Plus I think we are right there with any veteran buyouts.

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2019, 09:44:39 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
Hard Pass.

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2019, 10:11:19 PM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 619
ok fine

Re: Woj on ESPN: Cavs listening to offers for Kevin Love
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2019, 10:12:17 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
If you're Danny Ainge do you send someone to Hayward's house to help him pack his bags?

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2019, 10:13:45 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
I said it in my OP... but Woj never hints in the clip that the Celtics are interested. He just said in the past there had been interest.

I wonder if Love could help a different team move the needle? I am thinking a team like the Heat (with a great coach like Spoelstra) could use Love and see some legit improvement.

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2019, 10:14:23 PM »

• Paul Silas
I'm not looking to get rid of anyone, but as an excercise, something like this works and would seem to be in the interest of everyone:

Boston receives: Love
Cleveland receives: Dieng, Langford, Poirier, Bates-Diop, 2020 Minny 1st
Minny receives: Smart, Kanter

Boston gets a legit starting big. He can shoot and pass--two great qualities for CBS offense. He can also rebound--something that helps us a ton. I also noticed that his defensive positioning (at least in the game against us) was pretty good. We don't overpay. We don't use the Memphis pick. Plus, we get Smart out of our conference, which, if we have to trade him, is what I anyone would prefer.

Cleveland gets two good young prospects and a 1st. Boston could probably include a protected first or some seconds too.

Minny receives a solid defensive guard to orchestrate the defense for Wiggins and Towns, and a 20 minute a game front court mate for Towns. On top of that, if the Warriors do try to trade Russell eventually, that Covington/Teague trade is still sitting there. Giving them a core of Towns-Wiggins-Smart-Russell.

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2019, 10:34:52 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
I think Celts are better off passing on Kevin Love this time around.

A guy that can really help the Celts against Embiid and Giannis is Jakob Poeltl of the Spurs.

I don't know how much it will cost the Celts, but his salary is only 3.75m this season.

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2019, 10:37:28 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
I'm not looking to get rid of anyone, but as an excercise, something like this works and would seem to be in the interest of everyone:

Boston gets a legit starting big. He can shoot and pass--two great qualities for CBS offense. He can also rebound--something that helps us a ton. I also noticed that his defensive positioning (at least in the game against us) was pretty good. We don't overpay. We don't use the Memphis pick. Plus, we get Smart out of our conference, which, if we have to trade him, is what I anyone would prefer.

Cleveland gets two good young prospects and a 1st. Boston could probably include a protected first or some seconds too.

Minny receives a solid defensive guard to orchestrate the defense for Wiggins and Towns, and a 20 minute a game front court mate for Towns. On top of that, if the Warriors do try to trade Russell eventually, that Covington/Teague trade is still sitting there. Giving them a core of Towns-Wiggins-Smart-Russell.

I think Smart is more valuable than Love.

Love is not the answer if we're trying to stop Embiid or Giannis.

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2019, 10:41:40 PM »

• Paul Silas

I'm not sure Jakob Poeltl is the answer for either, especially not Giannis. Love gives more size and skill at that position. Plus, he gives shooting at the 5 while also being able to bang down low. That is something this team doesn't currently have.

I'm not sure I would do the deal either. I like Smart. It's pretty close in value though.

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2019, 10:42:51 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

defensively, no, but offensively he will make them both work (if they are actually guarding him).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2019, 10:44:30 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Due to long-term salaries, the only option that would make sense cap/tax-wise for the Celtics is Hayward.  Which I guess could be okay depending how the rest of the deal were structured, but I really like how this team is playing, and Love would require a key player heading on the move.

Also, the Celtics are a team mentioned as having had interest in the recent past, but not necessarily the present.

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2019, 10:44:58 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff

I'm not sure Jakob Poeltl is the answer for either, especially not Giannis. Love gives more size and skill at that position. Plus, he gives shooting at the 5 while also being able to bang down low. That is something this team doesn't currently have.

I'm not sure I would do the deal either. I like Smart. It's pretty close in value though.

Poeltl is a legit 7-footer.

Kevin Love is 6-9 at best.

I'm not sure why you came to the conclusion that Love is bigger than Poeltl.

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2019, 10:46:45 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff

defensively, no, but offensively he will make them both work (if they are actually guarding him).

I partly agree.

The part where I disagree is giving up Smart.

Celts have enough offense already with Kemba, Tatum, Brown, and Hayward.

Losing Smart would really weaken the Celtic defense.