Author Topic: Woj on ESPN: Cavs listening to offers for Kevin Love  (Read 19355 times)

Re: Woj on ESPN: Cavs listening to offers for Kevin Love
« Reply #60 on: December 07, 2019, 11:03:59 AM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
It’s a NO.

Big contract, can’t stay healthy enough, we would have to ruine chemistry right when we got in on point.
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #61 on: December 07, 2019, 11:06:05 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I might consider something like this

Love, Thompson

for

Hayward, Kanter, Langford

I would consider this too

Kemba/Brown/Tatum/Love/Thompson with Marcus as our 6th man

You've got balance, perimeter scoring, size, defense and rebounding.

But I agree one major concern is Love as he's rather injury prone (although in some ways, when do we start considering Hayward somewhat injury prone?)

« Reply #62 on: December 07, 2019, 11:09:56 AM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
If you're Danny Ainge do you send someone to Hayward's house to help him pack his bags?

With the awesome chemistry and vibe this team has right now; in the words of a famous philosopher - Are you kidding me?

With Hayward back, this team will be a tough out.  Including Hayward, we have 4 legit scoring threats who can basically create their own shot.  With Hayward back, we basically have 3 playmakers (including Smart).   Cs will be a team to be reckon with.

Now, do we have weaknesses? well yes.  Who doesn't....

Houston and Milwaukee are basically a one man gang
Lakers are an injury away (AD fragile body, LBJ age) from disaster
LAC probably know by now KLeornard issues are chronic.
Phily chemistry is awful, might self-distruct
Denver and Toronto have more weaknesses/holes than anyone care to admit.

...yeah, I think we are right there.  It won't be easy to get passed Gianis and Embid; but they will have to guard our BIG 4 as well...and heck, if we get passed Gianis, we'll probably have the formula to get passed Anthony Davis.
In hypothetical matchups with these teams the opponent have the two  best players if all players are healthy:
Warriors
Lakers
Clippers
Rockets
Nets

These you can argue whether we have the second best player in the matchup :
Denver
Blazers
Dallas
Philly
Bucks
My prediction is that giannis joins forces with Siakam or gets traded to Dallas or blazers or Denver so there will be at least one more team added to the top group of teams...
This is six matchups that we may not be favored to win next year.

« Reply #63 on: December 07, 2019, 11:18:46 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
I'd love to add Love but not for what it will cost.

Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #64 on: December 07, 2019, 11:22:34 AM »

Offline BMark

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 16
If you're Danny Ainge do you send someone to Hayward's house to help him pack his bags?

Not unless Hayward is looking to upgrade his Boston residence in anticipation of signing that 4 year max extension with the Cs

« Reply #65 on: December 07, 2019, 11:30:39 AM »

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146

With the awesome chemistry and vibe this team has right now; in the words of a famous philosopher - Are you kidding me?

With Hayward back, this team will be a tough out.  Including Hayward, we have 4 legit scoring threats who can basically create their own shot.  With Hayward back, we basically have 3 playmakers (including Smart).   Cs will be a team to be reckon with.

...yeah, I think we are right there.  It won't be easy to get passed Gianis and Embid; but they will have to guard our BIG 4 as well...and heck, if we get passed Gianis, we'll probably have the formula to get passed Anthony Davis.
In hypothetical matchups with these teams the opponent have the two  best players if all players are healthy:
Warriors
Lakers
Clippers
Rockets
Nets

Denver
Blazers
Dallas
Philly
Bucks
My prediction is that giannis joins forces with Siakam or gets traded to Dallas or blazers or Denver so there will be at least one more team added to the top group of teams...

True, but non of those teams have 4 legit scoring threats.  These guys can put up big numbers every night.....all 4 of the them.  Don't have to wonder "if" we'll get scoring help from say Hayward or Brown or Tatum, or Walker.  Nope.  All 4 are legit threats you can count on every game.  Heck, you could almost argue we have 4 All-Star caliber players.  I also like the luxury of having 3 legit playmakers and 4 guys capable of creating their own offense.

I am also realizing; our defense is very good.  Better than I expected, even with Hayward instead of Smart in the lineup.

...and the chemistry! Oh Wow!!

I agree.  Lakers, Philly and Milwaukee will be tough to beat.  Will see how things shape out. 

I have a feeling we have not reached our ceiling with this crew yet.  And that should be a scary thought for the rest of the league.

« Reply #66 on: December 07, 2019, 11:34:34 AM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
I might consider something like this

Love, Thompson

for

Hayward, Kanter, Langford

Just consider it, don't do it!
agreed.  not in 'love' with that deal.

C's do get better bigs but we've waited over 2 years to have Utah Hayward playing for us and he was a major factor in our great start to the season.  no desire to disrupt the team chemistry for a couple of players that may not make us better on the court even if it looks like they should on paper.

call that the Kyrie factor
The team has played very well without Hayward though.  Love and Thompson allow Tatum and Brown more time at their more natural spots.  The rebounding improves significantly in that trade.  Thompson provides some interior toughness the team lacks and Love is a prototypical stretch 4 offensively, while still be an excellent rebounder.

I think that team makes Boston more balanced and better positioned to win this season, without affecting the future in any meaningful way

I think you're completely undervaluing Hayward. There were several games that we lost on that road trip, or games that got really close, because he wasn't here to calm the offense and get the ball moving again. We don't gain that much in rebounding, Love is at 10rpg, Hayward at 7rpg, Hayward scores slightly better, and gets 2 more assists.

Haywards injury was a freak thing, Love is known(whos out right now with injury) not to be reliable to stay on the floor.

Best case is Love gets traded and a team buys him out, and we get him for bench help. He's a fraction of what he was, his numbers are only good because he's on a bad team, and can't even be the man on that team. When we played them he was pretty much a none factor, Hayward goes for almost 40.

What this team needs is a big that has a mixture of KAnter and Thies. OR some scorring help off the bench which is more realistic.   

« Reply #67 on: December 07, 2019, 11:45:59 AM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106

Warriors
Lakers
Clippers
Rockets
Nets

Denver
Blazers
Dallas
Philly
Bucks

True, but non of those teams have 4 legit scoring threats.  These guys can put up big numbers every night.....all 4 of the them.  Don't have to wonder "if" we'll get scoring help from say Hayward or Brown or Tatum, or Walker.  Nope.  All 4 are legit threats you can count on every game.  Heck, you could almost argue we have 4 All-Star caliber players.  I also like the luxury of having 3 legit playmakers and 4 guys capable of creating their own offense.

I am also realizing; our defense is very good.  Better than I expected, even with Hayward instead of Smart in the lineup.

...and the chemistry! Oh Wow!!

I agree.  Lakers, Philly and Milwaukee will be tough to beat.  Will see how things shape out. 

I have a feeling we have not reached our ceiling with this crew yet.  And that should be a scary thought for the rest of the league.
I agree with you but Tatum has to pick up his efficiency. He can’t start every game 2 for 11 shooting given that opposing defenses have to worry about our other scorers. If he can consistently shoot above 45% we can beat anyone if not .... we have to play outstanding defense and stay out of foul trouble to win against the better teams

« Reply #68 on: December 07, 2019, 11:50:21 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
A deal for Love is more appealing than one for Blake, especially with his outlet passing ability and lack of ball dominance. If he could emphasize crashing the offensive boards like he used to he'd make Kanter even more irrelevant which could be nice. He could be a really good fit here and be our only high-level genuine big.

I'm just not sure about giving up Hayward for him and his longer deal, and I absolutely don't want to move Smart who is the heart and soul of the team. But it's an interesting idea for sure.

« Reply #69 on: December 07, 2019, 12:17:47 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
I think the only reason to consider Love is that he might help with Milwaukee.

The Celtics as constituted are going to be in the same hole they were in the playoffs last year. The Bucks have more depth and more size. The Buck's rotations are longer and they will strategize to wear the Celtics down as they did last year.

Thus, talk about Love or any player that will help with the above.

So, you mean we have to trade some of our depth for Love?

Absolutely not.

« Reply #70 on: December 07, 2019, 12:19:00 PM »

Offline MichiganAdam

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 16
No on Love.  Yes on a team first, active, rebounding, defense, passing big.  Someone like ibaka or Noel, or similar.  We need help inside, but we need someone just a little better than kanter or theis.  Think RW3 IN 2 YEARS, but we need it now.

« Reply #71 on: December 07, 2019, 12:35:52 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
I am not giving up Hayward or even Smart for Love. I could see him ending up on the Heat. I wonder if the Lakers are sniffing around and thinking Love and Davis and Lebron and its over...Davis and Lebron could hide Love on D and they could get even better.

Smart is a needed mosquito on Defense for our team in the playoffs and if we dump him for Mr. Softy, other teams like the Bucks and Sixers will put up 120 plus nightly on us. If we think we can out score them and offense wins championships, then by all means bring the tall, rebounding offensive Love to us and cross your fingers but dont expect him to be a stopper on anyone on the Defensive end.

I actually feel a healthy Hayward is more valuable to us now and in the future then Love. I would rather see us sign Hayward to an extension.

« Reply #72 on: December 07, 2019, 01:11:37 PM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Hayward for Love?
Our possiblly best player for our probable 5th best player.
Yup. It makes sense, if you are a Cleveland fan.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #73 on: December 07, 2019, 01:39:14 PM »

Offline GreenCoffeeBean

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
We have three great wing/swings in a league that you dominate by having good wings and swings. Yeah, I'm not trading any of them for a PF.

« Reply #74 on: December 07, 2019, 02:12:36 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2952
  • On To Banner 18!
Pass. I really don't think Love adds much to the team especially at the expense of one of our current wings (all of them are balling, even Hayward before he got hurt).
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller