Author Topic: Woj on ESPN: Cavs listening to offers for Kevin Love  (Read 19389 times)

Re: Woj on ESPN: Cavs listening to offers for Kevin Love
« Reply #105 on: December 09, 2019, 08:23:12 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Strawman?

But we don't need to belittle Love in order to make that point.

Look you're the one who wants to protect Kevin Love from being mocked or belittled. Calling someone soft is a fair criticism of a player!

Anyways I get it you're a Kevin Love believer, some of us aren't and shouldn't/won't be made to feel bad about mocking his defense!

« Reply #106 on: December 09, 2019, 08:28:24 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
If I’m the Knicks, I’m making a play to try to team up Kevin Love and Chris Paul in NY.

Taking on Paul would probably pay for Love.

I don't think Paul is a negative asset. There aren't a lot of teams able to take Paul on, but that doesn't mean that there aren't a lot of teams that want to take Paul on.
Huh? Do you not see the contradiction in your own words here? If Chris Paul was a positive asset on his contract he'd have been traded as the OKC Thunder tried very hard to move him.

He is viewed as a positive on court player and a negative asset because of his large salary.

OKC Thunder want to receive picks/assets for him, or at least no pay teams to take on his salary. That's why he hasn't moved. OKC views him as a positive asset and the rest of the league disagrees.

I'm not sure we've had enough time to determine that yet. From what I've understood, OKC is content to have Chris Paul on their team. Maybe that's posturing. Maybe not.

Did you just not read any of the reporting around the time of the Chris Paul trade? Or the current state of Chris Paul?

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2019/12/5/20997142/chris-paul-trade-thunder-rockets-daryl-morey

This is the most recent one. But there were a ton of others both when the trade happened and earlier on. He's a negative asset at that contract number, no team wants that deal on their books.

« Reply #107 on: December 09, 2019, 09:25:04 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
I still keep coming back to this trade.

Love, Thompson

for

Hayward, Kanter, Langford

I think that gives Boston a better shot at winning a title this year and doesn't really affect much long term for Boston (and might actually help Tatum and Brown better reach their potential).

Post Trade

PG - Walker, Wanamaker
Wings - Tatum, Brown, Smart, Edwards
Bigs - Thompson, Love, Theis, R. Williams, Semi, G. Williams

Seems like a bit more balanced team and it opens up a roster spot for late season buy outs or what not.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #108 on: December 09, 2019, 09:33:36 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Love, Thompson

for

I think that gives Boston a better shot at winning a title this year and doesn't really affect much long term for Boston (and might actually help Tatum and Brown better reach their potential).

Post Trade

PG - Walker, Wanamaker

Seems like a bit more balanced team and it opens up a roster spot for late season buy outs or what not.
and I still keep hating it.

« Reply #109 on: December 09, 2019, 09:34:27 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528

Love, Thompson

for

Post Trade

PG - Walker, Wanamaker

Horrific trade for Celtics, great for Cavs fans.
We give the best player in the trade, the best center in trade and the best young talent in a trade.
Yes, Celtics are still good since we are so stacked now, but the trade is the kind you propose if you are from Ohio or something.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #110 on: December 09, 2019, 09:40:29 AM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
Walker, Smart, Brown, Tatum, Love.....Love at the 5 is a disaster.

At some point, it will sink in that Brad Stephens isn't just playing with 3 wings out of necessity, he's playing them because that's the system he wants to run.                         

« Reply #111 on: December 09, 2019, 09:53:04 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

Love, Thompson

for

Post Trade

PG - Walker, Wanamaker

Besides not  liking it for the Celtics, why does Cleveland do this trade?

Long term, they just trade Love and Thompson for Langford.   Do you see Hayward not opting out at that point?   Same with Kanter?   

« Reply #112 on: December 09, 2019, 09:55:37 AM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307

Love, Thompson

for

Post Trade

PG - Walker, Wanamaker

Long term, they just trade Love and Thompson for Langford.   Do you see Hayward not opting out at that point?   Same with Kanter?
They'd get 2 overpaid jags off their roster. Huge win for them.

« Reply #113 on: December 09, 2019, 10:03:34 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

Love, Thompson

for

Post Trade

PG - Walker, Wanamaker

They'd get 2 overpaid jags off their roster. Huge win for them.

But both of them are worth something to contenders.   They are not just looking to save cap space.  They could get under the tax by trading a smaller contract.

« Reply #114 on: December 09, 2019, 10:03:56 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
I also struggle to see how taking on two more years at $31/$28 million respectively doesn't have a big impact on the C's future plans/flexibility.

« Reply #115 on: December 09, 2019, 10:09:21 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Reports out of Cleveland are that they would explore trying to resign Thompson after this season, he's also expiring so no need to dump him.

Love on the other hand wants out and isn't playing nice with the new coach. I still think the egos involved mean that they would require assets in return for him.

« Reply #116 on: December 09, 2019, 10:13:52 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Strawman?

Look you're the one who wants to protect Kevin Love from being mocked or belittled. Calling someone soft is a fair criticism of a player!

Anyways I get it you're a Kevin Love believer, some of us aren't and shouldn't/won't be made to feel bad about mocking his defense!

Not trying to make anyone feel bad. Just calling for a better quality of discussion. No hot-takes or extremes. Instead, nuance and specifics.

« Reply #117 on: December 09, 2019, 10:29:18 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Strawman?

Not trying to make anyone feel bad. Just calling for a better quality of discussion. No hot-takes or extremes. Instead, nuance and specifics.
Calling out other posters rarely helps the quality of discussion in my experience. Just don't  engage with said takes if you don't think they're up to snuff.

Anyways he is soft and no one should feel bad about saying so.

« Reply #118 on: December 09, 2019, 10:47:22 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
I also struggle to see how taking on two more years at $31/$28 million respectively doesn't have a big impact on the C's future plans/flexibility.
C's won't have cap space during that time and will most likely be a tax payer, unless they just plan on letting Hayward walk.  And if that is case, then getting something of value for him makes sense. 

« Reply #119 on: December 09, 2019, 10:49:58 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Love, Thompson

for

Post Trade

PG - Walker, Wanamaker

They move on from Love.  I know Love has some limited value (a team like the Nuggets for example makes sense), but here they get another young player and get to clear the deck of the old guard and just start over with young guys.  Hayward also has more value in a trade then Love and probably Thompson, so they could still move him this season and get further assets.