Author Topic: Joel Embiid "reportedly" frustrated by his role  (Read 4389 times)

Re: Joel Embiid "reportedly" frustrated by his role
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2018, 07:15:24 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Don’t expect young players to sacrifice for the good of the team. Guys like Embiid, Simmons, Jaylen, Rozier are all playing for their big payday, and I can’t blame them. They are all an injury away from becoming the next IT

But Embiid already has his big payday.

he has made millions for doing nothing for years.

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2018, 07:25:37 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
This may go against the grain, but I do think they should try to trade Simmons. His game, in terms of shooting has not improved at all, going back to his 15-16 season at LSU. Unless he dramatically improves his shooting (and FT shooting) and isn't a complete liability, he should be dealt. If the plan is to build around him (which it's not) and surround him with shooters (which they don't have), then that's one thing. However, him being part of a "big 3" where he's going to be asked to spend considerable amount of time off-the-ball is not a good recipe for high level success.

Simmons for Markkanen and Dunn makes them a much tougher team to guard. In a vacuum, Simmons is a better player, but Markkanen would be exactly what they would need.

I just think a 5 of :
Markannen - Butler - Embiid - Dunn - Redick

Looks a lot better  in terms of fit than :
Chandler - Butler - Embiid - Simmons - Redick

I ageee Eddie, but the answer is for Simmons to improve not trade him. Question is does he have too big an ego?
Ego could go both ways.  Maybe his ego is too fragile to deal with a bunch of lowlights of him shooting poorly.  On the other hand, he's not going to be a top player like he claims to want to be if he doesn't improve.  I think it is more about putting in the hard work to improve versus a willingness to slide by on his considerable talents.  Coach Brown has asked Butler to mentor Simmons.  Butler clearly has faults but he is most definitely a hard worker. 

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2018, 07:27:11 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
i doubt Butler resign with them
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2018, 07:34:52 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
blame Simmons for being a Rondo level shooter, and that might be generous  :'( :o
at least Rondo took 3s more frequently

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2018, 07:36:44 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am

Simmons for Markkanen and Dunn makes them a much tougher team to guard. In a vacuum, Simmons is a better player, but Markkanen would be exactly what they would need.

I just think a 5 of :
Markkanen - Butler - Embiid - Dunn - Redick

Looks a lot better  in terms of fit than :
Chandler - Butler - Embiid - Simmons - Redick

I think that's a fair offer, but if I were GM of the 76ers I would demand a bit more. Just because you can! Simmons is still perceived as a franchise type player. Maybe expand your proposal:

To Philadelphia: Markkanen, Dunn, Portis, Lopez + prot. 1st
To Chicago: Simmons, Chandler, Korkmaz, Johnson

And then I would ship Fultz for a solid 3 and D guy (X).

New rotation: Dunn/McConnell - Redick/Shamet - Butler/X - Markkanen/Portis - Embiid/Lopez

Of course if I were really the GM of the 76ers I would run them quickly to the ground and pick up my ransom when I'm fired  ;D

« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2018, 07:36:49 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
Maybe embiid is wrong for calling out coach, but anyone notice how wherever butler goes there’s nothing but discontent from teammates for the most part?

Yeah I'm noticing that too. 

I think part of it is, Butler has an ego where he thinks he can be the alpha of a championship team, when clearly he can't be. Reminds me of Melo the past few years and the drama about him not wanting to go to a bench role. Embiid himself has a bit of an ego so it certainly will create some drama.

The one series I look at is the 2016 one between BOS-CHI, where Rondo went out and when CHI really needed him, Butler didn't deliver and they lost the next 4 games. That's when I got the impression that, while Butler is a star, he isn't a 1 or even a 2 guy on a championship team (unless he's a 2 guy behind Lebron I guess).
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2018, 07:39:37 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Don’t expect young players to sacrifice for the good of the team. Guys like Embiid, Simmons, Jaylen, Rozier are all playing for their big payday, and I can’t blame them. They are all an injury away from becoming the next IT

Embiid has developed himself into a top 10 player having only played 120 regular season games.  Embiid is the leader of the Sixers and a huge fan favorite.  Without Embiid, the Sixers would be lucky to make the playoffs.  That is certainly not nothing.  On the other hand, you have Wiggins and Parker who were drafted ahead of Embiid ...  Or what about Towns...  Or Porzingis... 

If you were to combine the last 5 drafts and do a re-draft, Embiid would go first and it really would be that close. 

« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2018, 07:40:28 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Good.

Here's hoping he STAYS frustrated - all the way through the playoffs - especially if we meet.

« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2018, 08:03:51 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
i doubt Butler resign with them

A 1st round playoff exit would do that I think and then the 76ers are truly skrewed. Only having Fultz, Simmons and Embiid isn't going to bring them huge success.

« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2018, 09:44:28 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175

Embiid has developed himself into a top 10 player having only played 120 regular season games.  Embiid is the leader of the Sixers and a huge fan favorite.  Without Embiid, the Sixers would be lucky to make the playoffs.  That is certainly not nothing.  On the other hand, you have Wiggins and Parker who were drafted ahead of Embiid ...  Or what about Towns...  Or Porzingis... 

If you were to combine the last 5 drafts and do a re-draft, Embiid would go first and it really would be that close.

I'd take Doncic...

« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2018, 10:12:36 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

I'd take Doncic...
I still might take Towns over Embiid as well.  Availability is often the best ability and Towns is a better all around offensive player (obviously Embiid is better defensively, but there aren't many ever that can score from anywhere like Towns can). 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2018, 10:38:44 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

I'd take Doncic...
I still might take Towns over Embiid as well.  Availability is often the best ability and Towns is a better all around offensive player (obviously Embiid is better defensively, but there aren't many ever that can score from anywhere like Towns can).
Last 5 drafts...I would take Doncic as well. When it's all said and done Doncic might be a top 25 player of all time. He has that potential without the stigma of possibly being prone to injury like Embiid. I still can't believe Ayton and Bagley were picked before Doncic because...big guys.

« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2018, 10:44:59 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Someone insert the MJ eating popcorn emoji for me.

Simmons is a 6'10 Rondo and his inability to space the floor is beginning to negatively affect his team.

Simmons and Embiid are a terrible fit together and it's just a matter of time before they must split.

« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2018, 10:50:02 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269

Simmons is a 6'10 Rondo and his inability to space the floor is beginning to negatively affect his team.

Simmons and Embiid are a terrible fit together and it's just a matter of time before they must split.

Yup. Unfortunately, I can't seem to put in the gif you were asking for.

« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2018, 11:01:28 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Everyone is calling Simmons a 6'11' Rondo but Rondo actually took three point shots and hit them at 31% from three and has a career FT% over 60% as well as having a defensive rating 3 points lower than Simmons. Yeah, Simmons has a FG% 9 points higher than Rondo but he is also 9 inches taller than Rondo.

Simmons isn't like Rondo. He is more like a Magic Johnson that doesn't shoot, pass, rebound, shoot free throws or have a will to win and doesn't make his team mates better like Magic does.