Author Topic: Joel Embiid "reportedly" frustrated by his role  (Read 4399 times)

Joel Embiid "reportedly" frustrated by his role
« on: December 08, 2018, 02:50:22 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
per http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25481105/joel-embiid-philadelphia-76ers-frustrated-role-jimmy-butler-trade

reportedly Embiid is frustrated by his role since the arrival of Jimmy Butler. Their record may suggest otherwise since they are winning, but how do you guys think of this in the long term? Is ESPN overreacting over a quote

"I haven't been myself lately," Embiid told Philly.com. "I think it's mainly because of the way I've been used, which is I'm being used as a spacer, I guess, a stretch-5, which I'm only shooting [29] percent" from 3-point range.

"But it seems like the past couple games, like with the way I play, our setup, [coach Brett Brown] always has me starting on the perimeter ... and it just really frustrates me."

Re: Joel Embiid "reportedly" frustrated by his role
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2018, 03:16:55 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2703
Don’t expect young players to sacrifice for the good of the team. Guys like Embiid, Simmons, Jaylen, Rozier are all playing for their big payday, and I can’t blame them. They are all an injury away from becoming the next IT

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2018, 03:27:59 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Don’t expect young players to sacrifice for the good of the team. Guys like Embiid, Simmons, Jaylen, Rozier are all playing for their big payday, and I can’t blame them. They are all an injury away from becoming the next IT

But Embiid already has his big payday.

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2018, 03:38:21 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2929
I mean, I agree with him to an extent. While it is good that he can somewhat space the floor and knock down the occasional three, they should be playing more inside/out with him, because given his size, athleticism, length, and skill, Embiid is nearly unguardabke when down on the block. He shouldn’t be floating around the three point line so much.

That said, that’s primarily due to the makeup of their team. Having a complete non-shooter in Simmons and an average shooter in Butler, both of whom thrive by having open lanes and the spacing to penetrate and get to the bucket and/or line, means it best serves the team to play Embiid out on the perimeter quite a bit more to give them that spacing.

That’s just how it has to be when you have that specific talent that isn’t that complementary.

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2018, 03:40:03 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 872
  • GOT IT!!!
Embiid is basically saying this is my team. Why should I bet second fiddle behind Butler? Chinks in the armor already lol

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2018, 04:00:59 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394
Why undermine your coach to the press?

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2018, 04:23:59 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2703
I mean, I agree with him to an extent. While it is good that he can somewhat space the floor and knock down the occasional three, they should be playing more inside/out with him, because given his size, athleticism, length, and skill, Embiid is nearly unguardabke when down on the block. He shouldn’t be floating around the three point line so much.

That said, that’s primarily due to the makeup of their team. Having a complete non-shooter in Simmons and an average shooter in Butler, both of whom thrive by having open lanes and the spacing to penetrate and get to the bucket and/or line, means it best serves the team to play Embiid out on the perimeter quite a bit more to give them that spacing.

That’s just how it has to be when you have that specific talent that isn’t that complementary.

Yeah, basically Embiid is right. They are wasting his talents to have him sit on the perimeter and shoot threes, which is not his shot. If the team is poorly constructed, they should fix the roster instead of wasting the talents of their best player, a transedent big man who can get whatever he wants on the post, turned into a poor man's  Cavs era Kevin Love to make room for a homeless man's Lebron and a 6'10 Rondo.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 04:31:20 PM by hpantazo »

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2018, 04:30:47 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Maybe embiid is wrong for calling out coach, but anyone notice how wherever butler goes there’s nothing but discontent from teammates for the most part?

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2018, 06:23:43 PM »

Online RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
Maybe embiid is wrong for calling out coach, but anyone notice how wherever butler goes there’s nothing but discontent from teammates for the most part?

I don't think it's really about Butler. I think Embiid is mainly frustrated with Simmons who's unable to set him up in favorable situations in the half court. Simmons can't even run a pick-and-roll with Embiid. His manmarker can just go under the screen, since Simmons is a complete non-threat to shoot.

Philadelphia should try to trade Simmons. He has good stats and is still perceived by a lot as a transcendent talent. I don't believe he will ever be a superstar. You just have to be able to shoot. I rate Tatum as equally good right now and with a lot more potential.

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2018, 06:41:03 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Brown is in a tough spot because if he puts Embiid down low, he is going to clog the lane for Simmons and Butler who need the inside open to thrive. But to not use your best player where he has "best in the league" under the basket game hurts your team a bunch as well.

Maybe Brown should bring Simmons off the bench and try to play all three players together as little as possible.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 06:55:03 PM by nickagneta »

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2018, 06:52:51 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
This may go against the grain, but I do think they should try to trade Simmons. His game, in terms of shooting has not improved at all, going back to his 15-16 season at LSU. Unless he dramatically improves his shooting (and FT shooting) and isn't a complete liability, he should be dealt. If the plan is to build around him (which it's not) and surround him with shooters (which they don't have), then that's one thing. However, him being part of a "big 3" where he's going to be asked to spend considerable amount of time off-the-ball is not a good recipe for high level success.

Simmons for Markkanen and Dunn makes them a much tougher team to guard. In a vacuum, Simmons is a better player, but Markkanen would be exactly what they would need.

I just think a 5 of :
Markannen - Butler - Embiid - Dunn - Redick

Looks a lot better  in terms of fit than :
Chandler - Butler - Embiid - Simmons - Redick

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2018, 07:02:28 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394
This may go against the grain, but I do think they should try to trade Simmons. His game, in terms of shooting has not improved at all, going back to his 15-16 season at LSU. Unless he dramatically improves his shooting (and FT shooting) and isn't a complete liability, he should be dealt. If the plan is to build around him (which it's not) and surround him with shooters (which they don't have), then that's one thing. However, him being part of a "big 3" where he's going to be asked to spend considerable amount of time off-the-ball is not a good recipe for high level success.

Simmons for Markkanen and Dunn makes them a much tougher team to guard. In a vacuum, Simmons is a better player, but Markkanen would be exactly what they would need.

I just think a 5 of :

I ageee Eddie, but the answer is for Simmons to improve not trade him. Question is does he have too big an ego?

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2018, 07:02:42 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550

I don't think it's really about Butler. I think Embiid is mainly frustrated with Simmons who's unable to set him up in favorable situations in the half court. Simmons can't even run a pick-and-roll with Embiid. His manmarker can just go under the screen, since Simmons is a complete non-threat to shoot.

Philadelphia should try to trade Simmons. He has good stats and is still perceived by a lot as a transcendent talent. I don't believe he will ever be a superstar. You just have to be able to shoot. I rate Tatum as equally good right now and with a lot more potential.
I think part of it is having a lousy game against Toronto and then being forced to sit against Detroit when he usually goes into beast mode against Drummond. 

I agree it is more about Simmons than Butler.  Simmons was the one who initially had difficulties figuring out his role when Butler was acquired and disappeared in games.  I think Coach Brown compensated by trying to get Simmons posted under the basket more which forces Embiid out.  Even with all his issues, Fultz has shown better pick-and-roll with Embiid than Simmons has and Fultz at least has shown a willingness to shoot jumpers. 

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2018, 07:06:43 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1547

I just think a 5 of :

That is an absolutely terrible trade for Philly.  Simmons has a lot more value than that.  22 year olds averaging 15/9/8 don't grow on trees.  Especially ones that are gigantic yet are still plus defenders on the much smaller PG's he guards. 

I'm not saying they shouldn't consider trading Simmons but they can do better than Markkanen and Dunn (I mean Markkanen just came back from injury and Dunn is currently injured with no target return date).

Edit: Maybe something like Beal and Oubre for Simmons, Chandler, Muscala.  That seems like a reasonable trade for both teams (obviously Washington would need to move Wall in that scenario, but in a vacuum I think that is a pretty decent trade). 
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 07:13:07 PM by Moranis »
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2018, 07:13:20 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

I just think a 5 of :

That is an absolutely terrible trade for Philly.  Simmons has a lot more value than that.  22 year olds averaging 15/9/8 don't grow on trees.  Especially ones that are gigantic yet are still plus defenders on the much smaller PG's he guards. 

I'm not saying they shouldn't consider trading Simmons but they can do better than Markkanen and Dunn (I mean Markkanen just came back from injury and Dunn is currently injured with no target return date).

Athletic 21-year-old 7 footers that shoot the lights out don’t grow on trees either. Simmons stats are really cool, though. He looks like a guy you would want on your team to win a fantasy basketball title.

On and you’re wrong on Dunn. He was questionable to play today and is basically day-to-day.