Author Topic: Why would Lebron go to Knicks next season?  (Read 3410 times)

Why would Lebron go to Knicks next season?
« on: November 19, 2009, 01:39:11 PM »

Offline Eric_Suede

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 19
General question to all of you here. I'm wondering if I missed something, Did Lebron in the past express a desire or childhood dream to play for the knicks? I ask this because during this whole "AI to knicks" discussion,it's often stated by different columnist that the knicks need to prepare to make a run at Lebron. Why in the world would Lebron want to leave a winning franchise and championship contender Cavs and go to the Horrible Knicks. Wouldn't that be a major step back for him. To me that's like Kobe leaving the lakers so he can play with Memphis? WHY WOULD HE DO THAT? yeah yeah I know , New York is a bigger city and POTENTIALLY a bigger market but look at the state of the team. What do you guys think?

If I were in LJ shoes I wouldn't even entertain the idea. #1 he's from Ohio. He's already ridiculously hyped and one of the faces in the league, what could going to new york do to improve his already high status? Again did I miss something. To hear this one comlumnist try to make a case that NY shouldn't sign AI cause he may "ruin chances to get Lebron"..????? Where is the basis for that way of thinking. As far as I see it, Knicks are delusional. Reminds me of that false hope we had where we just somehow "knew" we were going to win the Duncan lottery. how far did that type of thinking get us?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 01:47:37 PM by Eric_Suede »

Re: Lebron to Knicks next season?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2009, 01:43:16 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Eric before I respond I must stress one thing to you.

Paragraphs are your friend

Adding some where appropriate would make your posts much easier to read.

New York is the number one media market. Their have been rumors for years that his endorsment deals have a bonus if he ends up playing in a bigger market than Cleveland. He's also a big Yankess fan and has never played down potentially playing in New York.

So its natural for all the speculation, especially when Isiah's utter ineptitude as a GM put them in a situation where they needed to wait till around 2010 (or later) to clear any cap room at all.

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 01:46:00 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
Most.Original. Thread Title. Ever.

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2009, 01:47:04 PM »

Offline Eric_Suede

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 19
Let me rename the title of this thread. More I think about it, I may be leading people on thinking I have heard a legititmate rumor that this is going to happen where in reality it's only a sincere question I have. Sorry to dissapoint, I'll change the title.  ;)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 01:58:42 PM by Eric_Suede »

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2009, 01:48:11 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Most.Original. Thread Title. Ever.
No reason to mock.

Re: Why would Lebron go to Knicks next season?
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2009, 01:54:44 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I agree that the Knicks aren't a very good situation.  They have less cap room and less young talent than some other teams, such as the Nets and Heat.

I think Lebron is linked to New York partially due to it's place as the biggest market in the country, and partially because he's said nice things about the city in the past.  I don't really know the specifics, though.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2009, 02:21:12 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I think it's going to be New jersey for a number of reasons:

1.) They have the space to not only fit him in at max but also, depending on the salary cap amount to be decided, pretty close to enough for another max contract of maybe just slightly less than a max. Can anyone say Joe Johnson or Chris Bosh.

2.) Jay Z is a very good friend of Lebron's and is a minority owner of the Nets.

3.) With possible new ownership coming in Russian billionaire, Mikhail Prokhorov, and the avenues being reopened for a new arena to be built in Brooklyn and the team moving to Brooklyn, this would open up a huge marketing opportunity worldwide selling a brand new brand of NBA basketball, Brooklyn Nets black and white apparel.

4.) The Nets already have a very promising nucleus of Devin Harris, Brook Lopez, Courtney Lee, Chris Douglas-Roberts, Yi Jianlian and Terrence Williams. Harris(47), Douglas Roberts(31), Jianlian(29) and Lopez(31) are all players that have once scored 29 or more points in an NBA game. Lopez has ripped down 20 rebounds in an NBA game. And all these guys are young and can grow with Lebron.

5.) The Nets still own their 2010 draft pick and will probably be picking somewhere in the top 7 where players the caliber of John Wall, Cole Aldrich, Devin Favors, Willie Warren, Ed Davis and Evan Turner.

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2009, 02:38:26 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
For the sake of Cleveland, I hope he stays in Cleveland.

For my sake, I hope he stays out of the NY/NJ area (I now live in NYC and would hate to have to see "Witness" billboards everywhere).
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2009, 02:41:58 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I still think New Jersey, especially if they can get to somewhere around 38-41 games won this year.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2009, 03:01:02 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I still think New Jersey, especially if they can get to somewhere around 38-41 games won this year.

Well, they're at zero right now, so that may be a stretch. ;)

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2009, 03:27:51 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I think the likelihood of where he ends up is:
1) cleveland (45%)
2) Nets  (40%)
3) Knicks (15%)

Cleveland offers him the best chance to win in the near future with the other players there and they can offer the most $.  It's also close to home and the environment he knows best.

I figure the Nets over the Knicks for a couple of reasons mentioned previously:
1) the Nets have a much better core of young players and the cap room to add another very good FA next year.  Nets could become contenders immediately under the right conditions next offseason.  Knicks can't point to their personnel and impress Lebron with who they have.
2) the Nets going to Brooklyn offer Lebron the biggest marketing opportunity of a lifetime.  He gets to be the face of the franchise in their new location (you won't ever hear that franchise mention NJ if they move and get Lebron) and it's in the biggest media market.  the $ he could get from apparel/gear sales is insane.  The sales in Brooklyn alone would keep him rolling in dough for the rest of his life.

The only thing the Knicks have going for them is they're the only franchise of these 3 that have a noteworthy club history.  Granted it's not on the level of the C's or Lakers but it's better than either NJ's or Cleveland's.

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2009, 03:33:56 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

I think one of the best theings we have going for us is that LeBron is a terrible gm but doesn't let that stop him. Every year he doesn't win the title he lobbies for major additions, no matter the fact that it will take a while to integrate the new player (who may or may not fit in with the rest of the team) or the impact the move will have on their long term flexiility. He'll eventually move to another team (likely worse off than the team he leaves) and begin his complaining at the first opportunity (if he even waits until he signs with the team). He had the same complaints when he was 22 or so that Pierce and KG had in their 30s when they were running out of chances to win.

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2009, 03:37:13 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

Well, they're at zero right now, so that may be a stretch. ;)

Yeah but they've got a good young nucleus of Harris Lopez and the trifecta of "maybeies" Chris "Freshy Pants" Douglas Roberts, Terrence Williams and Courtney Lee.

If they can parlay some of that into a Varejao caliber PF, that's a contending team IMO.

(Well with Lebron James Obv)

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2009, 04:29:10 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
To team up with AI  ;D
Yup

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2009, 05:37:16 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe