Poll

Would You Trade Tatum In A Bigger Package If It Meant Acquiring The Greek Freak?

Yes
64 (58.7%)
No
45 (41.3%)

Total Members Voted: 109

Author Topic: Purely Hypothetical: Would You Trade Tatum In Package For Greek Freak?  (Read 19145 times)

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 599
No. As good as Giannis is, he's dominant with the ball and can't space the floor very well.
Lol what? That is a huge compliment. Do you mean he is ball-dominant (still not necessarily a bad thing)?

Yep, that's what I meant. Not a good fit with CBS system. There is a reason Rondo got traded. Aside from Kyrie, ball-distribution from this team is well-balanced. Fit should be also be in consideration when acquiring talent. OKC is a living proof that talent doesn't always amount to wins.

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
No. Tatums contract is better and gives us more flexibility

This for starters. The fact that he can actually shoot, score in the clutch, and average 20+ ppg for a team up 3-0 in the Eastern Semis while still being 3.5 year younger than Freak is another.

The rebounding and stupid length of Giannis is nice. The attitude and lack of success as top banana (albeit a young banana still) isn't.

What is wrong with Giannis' attitude?

BTW already said but heres once more... KG won a series for first time at the tender age of 27. I guess he was a loser too,right?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 07:22:05 AM by ederson »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

For one thing he is seven foot tall and thinks he is a small forward.

Offline sawick48

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27

This for starters. The fact that he can actually shoot, score in the clutch, and average 20+ ppg for a team up 3-0 in the Eastern Semis while still being 3.5 year younger than Freak is another.

The rebounding and stupid length of Giannis is nice. The attitude and lack of success as top banana (albeit a young banana still) isn't.

BTW already said but heres once more... KG won a series for first time at the tender age of 27. I guess he was a loser too,right?

Are we really going to rehash the KG-supporting-staff-in-Minny debate? When your BEST #2 EVER is a choice between Cassell or Spreewell.....Something tells me if a 23 year old Garnett had Middleton, Bledsoe, crap even Thon and Henson to man the paint next to him, he would've found his way to the 2nd round.  But that's not why I'm responding.

Something always bugged me about the way Giannis responded to Kidd. I'll never forget how he said Kidd rode him hard one practice and Giannis' response was to go to the internet and check his coach's credentials, and only after discovering he was a Hall of Famer would he deem it ok for his coach to...ya know....coach him.

To me that speaks worlds about the type of attitude he has as a player. 

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
Another Basement thread!

Smell the coffee for ch#### sakes...

The Greek cherry or whatever he calls himself has zero game 5 ft from the basket. Does he suk? No, but he ain't no Tatum!

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Check out this stat:
"While Simmons has been rattled, Tatum has been anything but. Tatum is now the only player in NBA history to score at least 20 points in five consecutive playoff games at age 20 or younger."

Tatum is the real deal guys.  His upside is massive.  I would not move Tatum for anybody!

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
Another Basement thread!

Smell the coffee for ch#### sakes...

The Greek cherry or whatever he calls himself has zero game 5 ft from the basket. Does he suk? No, but he ain't no Tatum!

I mean, I created the thread and voted 'NO' back in like January.

But as you can see by the poll, seems most thought I was an idiot at the time. However, it seems like every vote since this was re-opened in April again is now going to the "No" option  :P

It was like 57-19 "Yes", now 61-37 "Yes. 
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

You mean like Durant?

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

You mean like Durant?
I guess Durant has the advantage of being an unfairly good shooter.

But it would be a waste for Giannis to not play on the perimeter with the handle he has
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Giannis is a 1st Team All NBA player in his early 20's.  You have to make that trade.

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Giannis is a 1st Team All NBA player in his early 20's.  You have to make that trade.

Tatum is a rookie with a better skill set with cost control.  In four years, he could be better than Giannis.   So no, I would not make the trade.

I am starting to think the first person we trade will be Rozier or Kyrie, and it won't be until after next season,  not Brown or Tatum after our playoff run.

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 11

Are we really going to rehash the KG-supporting-staff-in-Minny debate? When your BEST #2 EVER is a choice between Cassell or Spreewell.....Something tells me if a 23 year old Garnett had Middleton, Bledsoe, crap even Thon and Henson to man the paint next to him, he would've found his way to the 2nd round.  But that's not why I'm responding.

Something always bugged me about the way Giannis responded to Kidd. I'll never forget how he said Kidd rode him hard one practice and Giannis' response was to go to the internet and check his coach's credentials, and only after discovering he was a Hall of Famer would he deem it ok for his coach to...ya know....coach him.

I thought for a second you were arguing FOR Giannis. Spreewell and Cassell were way better than Drew Bledsoe and Middleton. John Henson and Thon Maker?? Are you serious? They suck. Plus they are terrible fits with Giannis. Neither can shoot. Henson has zero offensive game, and Maker is like 35 years old.

Also that's also probably the weakest story ever someone has referenced to prove Giannis has a bad attitude. That's the best you can do? That he did research on his coach? Lol.
CB Mock Deadline - Minnesota Timberwolves
Kemba Walker / Tyus Jones / Aaron Brooks
Jimmy Butler / Jamal Crawford / Treveon Graham
Rodney Hood / Nic Batum / Marcus Georges Hunt
Taj Gibson / Nemanja Bjelica / Jonas Jerebko
KAT / Derrick Favors / Cole Aldrich
Picks - 2018 CHA 1st (Lotto protected), none out

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279

You are the first person that doubts Giannis' character ......

Maybe he is an a$$ i don"t know him personaly but i find hard to believe that only you have realised it....

BTW even if middleton and maker are better supporting cast than cassel and sprewel (they are not) i cannot see how you can argue that it is a supporting cast good enough to reach ECF. (i really hope you won't try to)

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

I thought for a second you were arguing FOR Giannis. Spreewell and Cassell were way better than Drew Bledsoe and Middleton. John Henson and Thon Maker?? Are you serious? They suck. Plus they are terrible fits with Giannis. Neither can shoot. Henson has zero offensive game, and Maker is like 35 years old.

Also that's also probably the weakest story ever someone has referenced to prove Giannis has a bad attitude. That's the best you can do? That he did research on his coach? Lol.
That isn't really true. Sprewell was definitely worse for his 2 years in Minny than Middleton has been over the last 3 years, and Cassell v Bledsoe is basically a wash. Cassell had one strong year in Minny then fell off the perch completely.

KG made the playoffs multiple times with a supporting cast of Szczerbiak, Terrell Brandon and co., losing to a good Portland team, an elite San Antonio team, a Mavs team with Dirk, Nash and Finley, and the Lakers.

KG's run as a young guy is not comparable to Giannis'. Give KG teammates of that caliber against a team as rundown as our C's and he definitely would beat us.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 11

That isn't really true. Sprewell was definitely worse for his 2 years in Minny than Middleton has been over the last 3 years, and Cassell v Bledsoe is basically a wash. Cassell had one strong year in Minny then fell off the perch completely.

KG made the playoffs multiple times with a supporting cast of Szczerbiak, Terrell Brandon and co., losing to a good Portland team, an elite San Antonio team, a Mavs team with Dirk, Nash and Finley, and the Lakers.

KG's run as a young guy is not comparable to Giannis'. Give KG teammates of that caliber against a team as rundown as our C's and he definitely would beat us.
First off, they were only together for 2 years. Cassell was hurt the 2nd year and things went off the track, so we'll look at the one full year they had.

Cassell averaged 19 and 7 on ~49%/40%/87% shooting. His PER was 22.8, VORP was 4.5, and he had over 12 win shares, 4th most in the NBA that year (KG was 1st). He was an all star. He was better that year than Bledsoe or Middleton ever have, or ever will be.

There are certainly comparisons between the Bucks and the Wolves before Cassell and Spreewell (KG, Wally, Troy Hudson, Joe Smith) but not after. KG with Cassell and Spreewell was a legit contender. They had one healthy year together and were the #1 seed, and lost in the ECF to Kobe/Shaq.
CB Mock Deadline - Minnesota Timberwolves
Kemba Walker / Tyus Jones / Aaron Brooks
Jimmy Butler / Jamal Crawford / Treveon Graham
Rodney Hood / Nic Batum / Marcus Georges Hunt
Taj Gibson / Nemanja Bjelica / Jonas Jerebko
KAT / Derrick Favors / Cole Aldrich
Picks - 2018 CHA 1st (Lotto protected), none out