Poll

Would You Trade Tatum In A Bigger Package If It Meant Acquiring The Greek Freak?

Yes
64 (58.7%)
No
45 (41.3%)

Total Members Voted: 109

Author Topic: Purely Hypothetical: Would You Trade Tatum In Package For Greek Freak?  (Read 19151 times)

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550
Giannis, Age 19:
77 games, 24.6 MPG, 6.8 points, 4.4 boards, 1.9 assists, .44 from 2, .34 from 3, .463 EFG, .68 from line

Tatum Age 19:
80 games, 30.5 MPG, 13.9 points, 5.0 boards, 1.6 assists, .475 from 2, .434 from 3, .538 EFG, .82 from the line

Tatum is a far better and far more efficient player than Giannis at the same age. In fact, while Giannis took a major leap to .51% from 2 his second year, it has taken him four years to get to Tatum's Rookie efg of .538, he's still behind Tatum in FT% and three point %, by a wide margin.

It is hard to tell what Tatum's ceiling may be but with another 10-15 pounds of muscle and another year of experience he may well be in the Zone of where Giannis is today, given the minutes and shots.

Lastly, and perhaps most importantly, from what I've seen it appears that Jayson may be more of an alpha dog mentally. He looks like he has that killer instinct, along with elite shooting, something Giannis sorely lacks.   

The fact that Tatum is having a better rookie year than Giannis means almost absolutely nothing in terms of what he will become. Because by definition the fact that Giannis is so good means he made absolutely huge improvements, and those improvements are far from guaranteed for Tatum. Four years of Marcus Smart shooting 30% from 3 should have taught everyone that.

Now that being said I still wouldn't trade Tatum, or Brown for that matter. I love both those guys. Before these playoffs I probably would have but both of those guys have shown me enough to make me think they can be All-Stars, and maybe even more if everything breaks right. But we should at least acknowledge that the odds are against Tatum or Brown being as good or better than the 6-9 best player in the league.

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
No I wouldn't do the trade.  In 4 years when Tatum is Giannis' age Tatum will be vastly superior to what Giannis is now.

Vastly superior? That pretty much puts Tatum on Lebron’s level, doesn’t it?

Twist the words to whatever meaning you want. I wouldn't do the trade because Tatum is going to be a lot better then Giannis. Giannis is so overrated.

Is that twisting your words?

What class of player is “a lot better” or “vastly superior “ to Giannis?

Giannis, at age 23, averaged 26.9 points / 10.0 rebounds / 4.8 assists / 1.5 steals / 1.4 blocks / .545 eFG%.

No player in NBA history has averaged that line, although Larry and Kareem came close. I can’t even imagine “much better” or “vastly superior”. A better KG? Lebron? MJ?

How much emphasis are you really putting into stats?

They were still barely a .500 team in his 5th season. Where was LeBron (and Kawhi) already by his fifth season? The Finals?

He’s still struggling to make the playoffs and this year, he had the chance to show the world who he was.... and he failed. How can he be so great and not beat a team missing what the Celtics were missing? If they match up against a healthy Celtics squad, how does that series go? It’s not even competitive. You think Milwaukee fans want a rematch with us next April? Ha.

People can point to teammates (although I was impressed with Middleton, he’s one of the most underrated players in the league), the coach, the GM, whatever. When does he get the blame? He’s a terrible shooter and careless on defense. He gets bailed out a lot because of insane athleticism, but he is not a complete player. He is LeBron athletically but lacks the skill and acumen that makes LeBron an all-time great.

I wasn’t willing to bow down before the series and definitely didn’t come away impressed with him after.

He’s on the Russell Westbrook level to me, not the Anthony Davis one.
That's still a handy player if utilised correctly. Saying Tatum will be better than that is pretty crazy.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but that kind of development is not common

So you’re looking to build a team around a handy player? We know that MVP awards matter to some players, rings others

Westbrook cannot be the best player on a championship team. I don’t believe Giannis can either. You wanna pay them $45M, do so, but that will likely land you as a bottom seed in the playoffs and first round exit.

Even though this thread is about Giannis vs. Jayson, what I replied about had nothing to do with Tatum. With that said, I do believe Jayson has the skill set to possibly be the best player on a championship team. He has work to do, but the skill is there. Durant may be a stretch, but the similarities are there. He’s barely 20 years old, he’s going to get exponentially better than he already is, and that’s pretty [dang] good.
I never said that. All I was saying is that assuming Tatum will be a top-10 league talent by the time he's 23 is very ambitious, to say the least.

I don't disagree with your points - I think Westbrook is arguably the biggest recipient of inflated stats that don't represent his true impact of all time in the NBA, if not at least within the last couple of decades. With Giannis however, I feel like he could be a centerpiece on a championship roster if coached correctly and surrounded by decent players.

I've flip-flopped on this a couple of times, but after Tatum quietly putting up 3 straight 20+ point games I don't think I'd make this move.

Having almost too much young talent is a nice problem to have ;D
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 11
No I wouldn't do the trade.  In 4 years when Tatum is Giannis' age Tatum will be vastly superior to what Giannis is now.

Twist the words to whatever meaning you want. I wouldn't do the trade because Tatum is going to be a lot better then Giannis. Giannis is so overrated.

Giannis, at age 23, averaged 26.9 points / 10.0 rebounds / 4.8 assists / 1.5 steals / 1.4 blocks / .545 eFG%.

No player in NBA history has averaged that line, although Larry and Kareem came close. I can’t even imagine “much better” or “vastly superior”. A better KG? Lebron? MJ?

They were still barely a .500 team in his 5th season. Where was LeBron (and Kawhi) already by his fifth season? The Finals?

He’s still struggling to make the playoffs and this year, he had the chance to show the world who he was.... and he failed. How can he be so great and not beat a team missing what the Celtics were missing? If they match up against a healthy Celtics squad, how does that series go? It’s not even competitive. You think Milwaukee fans want a rematch with us next April? Ha.

People can point to teammates (although I was impressed with Middleton, he’s one of the most underrated players in the league), the coach, the GM, whatever. When does he get the blame? He’s a terrible shooter and careless on defense. He gets bailed out a lot because of insane athleticism, but he is not a complete player. He is LeBron athletically but lacks the skill and acumen that makes LeBron an all-time great.

I wasn’t willing to bow down before the series and definitely didn’t come away impressed with him after.

That's still a handy player if utilised correctly. Saying Tatum will be better than that is pretty crazy.

So you’re looking to build a team around a handy player? We know that MVP awards matter to some players, rings others

Westbrook cannot be the best player on a championship team. I don’t believe Giannis can either. You wanna pay them $45M, do so, but that will likely land you as a bottom seed in the playoffs and first round exit.

Even though this thread is about Giannis vs. Jayson, what I replied about had nothing to do with Tatum. With that said, I do believe Jayson has the skill set to possibly be the best player on a championship team. He has work to do, but the skill is there. Durant may be a stretch, but the similarities are there. He’s barely 20 years old, he’s going to get exponentially better than he already is, and that’s pretty [dang] good.
I wouldn't be able to type that with a straight face. That's simply not something you can just declare as a fact lol. There are plenty of guys who don't improve after their rookie year. Many get worse. It's ridiculous for you tell him that Tatum well definitely get "exponentially better". You're not clairvoyant dude.
CB Mock Deadline - Minnesota Timberwolves
Kemba Walker / Tyus Jones / Aaron Brooks
Jimmy Butler / Jamal Crawford / Treveon Graham
Rodney Hood / Nic Batum / Marcus Georges Hunt
Taj Gibson / Nemanja Bjelica / Jonas Jerebko
KAT / Derrick Favors / Cole Aldrich
Picks - 2018 CHA 1st (Lotto protected), none out

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031

I never said that. All I was saying is that assuming Tatum will be a top-10 league talent by the time he's 23 is very ambitious, to say the least.

I don't disagree with your points - I think Westbrook is arguably the biggest recipient of inflated stats that don't represent his true impact of all time in the NBA, if not at least within the last couple of decades. With Giannis however, I feel like he could be a centerpiece on a championship roster if coached correctly and surrounded by decent players.

I've flip-flopped on this a couple of times, but after Tatum quietly putting up 3 straight 20+ point games I don't think I'd make this move.

Having almost too much young talent is a nice problem to have ;D

I think Giannis NEEDS to fix his jumper if he wants to be truly great. Not make the playoffs with a decent supporting cast, but take that same team deep. He’s not there yet and clearly has a ways to go.

Maybe he’s a top-10 player statistically, much like Westbrook, but when the playoffs begin, do you really think they are? I’m not exactly convinced. I know we haven’t seen him without LeBron yet, but I’d take Playoff-Kyrie above either, and few put him in the top-10 as far as overall players. To be honest, every time Middleton got the ball, I was worried more than when Giannis has it. Even Parker when he got going was tough. In the end, Giannis always had his numbers, but when they needed a basket, they couldn’t rely on him.

Tatum *probably* won’t be a top-10 player in 3-4 seasons, but he could be that guy in the playoffs that absolutely destroys you. He was thrust into this role that nobody expected him to need to fill. What Mitchell is doing in Utah is pretty insane if you ask me. The league hasn’t seen rookies do what they are doing in a couple decades. But Tatum has the length to become an elite defender and rebounder while nearly unguardable offensively. We are starting to see his offensive arsenal expand already.

For Kawhi? Maybe. But Giannis? Eh.

And yes, we aren’t even talking about Brown or TR3 here. Crazy a 55-win team has this many budding stars and another all-star looming.
CELTICS 2024

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031

I wouldn't be able to type that with a straight face. That's simply not something you can just declare as a fact lol. There are plenty of guys who don't improve after their rookie year. Many get worse. It's ridiculous for you tell him that Tatum well definitely get "exponentially better". You're not clairvoyant dude.

Okay, “dude.”

I won’t declare anything about him (as fact) even though I’ve seen every game of his pro career, and will assume you have as well. Nor what everyone around the organization and the league has said about him. There are very few players who have done what he has in his age-19 season, especially in the playoffs. I’ll forego what my eyes see because I’m not clairvoyant, but I’ve heard a lot more “this kid is going to be special” than I’ve heard “flash in the pan.”

I hope you can follow up with some of the many players who at that age put up 14 and 5 on a .538 eFG% and then regressed. Look at his NetRtg and WS for a one-and-done rookie. Truth is he has very few comparables. He’s a smart player who has an excellent feel for the game. He takes what the defense gives him and finds a way to help this team. He’s got elite length and just needs to add a little more size, which he clearly has the frame to do so effectively.

I’m sure we would need everything to break right for Tatum to put up 15 and 5 in his prime.
CELTICS 2024

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Does it make sense to criticize Giannis for lack of playoff success while praising Davis? Through their age 23 seasons, Giannis has made the playoffs three times, compared to once for Davis.

There are a lot of great players who don’t carry their teams to the Finals. KG didn’t get out of the first round until he was 27 for instance. The “great players win by their fifth season” argument makes no sense.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 11

Okay, “dude.”

I won’t declare anything about him (as fact) even though I’ve seen every game of his pro career, and will assume you have as well. Nor what everyone around the organization and the league has said about him. There are very few players who have done what he has in his age-19 season, especially in the playoffs. I’ll forego what my eyes see because I’m not clairvoyant, but I’ve heard a lot more “this kid is going to be special” than I’ve heard “flash in the pan.”

I hope you can follow up with some of the many players who at that age put up 14 and 5 on a .538 eFG% and then regressed. Look at his NetRtg and WS for a one-and-done rookie. Truth is he has very few comparables. He’s a smart player who has an excellent feel for the game. He takes what the defense gives him and finds a way to help this team. He’s got elite length and just needs to add a little more size, which he clearly has the frame to do so effectively.

I’m sure we would need everything to break right for Tatum to put up 15 and 5 in his prime.
But you did. You said, "he's going to get exponentially better", and there's just no way of knowing that. Tatum is great, and I hope he continues to improve and reach his potential. You don't need me convince me on that. But that's what it is. Potential. He certainly might end up being better than Westbrook and Giannis. He also might end up not being as good as them. I just can't tell the future, and unless you're BFF's with Tatum or know something else we don't, you can't either.

Also Tatum doesn't have elite length. He's 6'8'' with a 6'11'' wingspan. Not bad, but not something write home about. Who is someone who does have elite length, you ask? Take a look at the guy you're guaranteeing Tatum will be better than.

Lastly, I just don't understand what you're trying to say with the last sentence. It's just supposed to be sarcastic? Because Tatum can already put up 15 and 5? But that proves nothing when comparing him to RW and Giannis. They put up 25/10/10 and 26/10/4 last year, respectively, so Tatum being able to average 15 and 5 doesn't change the fact that he's not as good as them yet.
CB Mock Deadline - Minnesota Timberwolves
Kemba Walker / Tyus Jones / Aaron Brooks
Jimmy Butler / Jamal Crawford / Treveon Graham
Rodney Hood / Nic Batum / Marcus Georges Hunt
Taj Gibson / Nemanja Bjelica / Jonas Jerebko
KAT / Derrick Favors / Cole Aldrich
Picks - 2018 CHA 1st (Lotto protected), none out

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130

Does it make sense to criticize Giannis for lack of playoff success while praising Davis? Through their age 23 seasons, Giannis has made the playoffs three times, compared to once for Davis.

There are a lot of great players who don’t carry their teams to the Finals. KG didn’t get out of the first round until he was 27 for instance. The “great players win by their fifth season” argument makes no sense.

Thank you for this post.  The blatant bias against Giannis is absolutely mind numbing.  People will cherry pick any recent fact that fits their argument without considering the relevance.  As you mentioned, KG in his prime cannot be considered an elite player under their criteria. 

I'm going to try to attack this from a different angle.  Many people in this thread are holding Giannis solely accountable for their playoff loss against us in round 1.  If that's true then we as Celtics fans are NOT allowed to cite the excellence of Stevens as a reason for winning against the Bucks.  The fact that Milwaukee has an interim coach and lacks a real system did NOT play a role in development of the 2017/18 Bucks.  A coach swap of Stevens for Kidd/Prunty prior to the season would have made NO difference.  Even with Stevens the Bucks wouldn't have had a system to maximize the talents of their roster.  Their record would NOT have been better during the regular season and they would have gotten bounced from the playoffs in the first round.  After all, lets remember that Stevens doesn't maximize the talents of EVERY player on his roster.

Meanwhile Jayson Tatum and Donovan Mitchell would still be lighting it up in the playoffs regardless of coaching.  Snyder and Stevens didn't do anything to accentuate strengths and hide their weakness of their young players throughout the course of the 82 game season.

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
So here's my real take on Giannis.  At 23 years old he is one of the most freakish and unique talents in the history of the NBA.  There's no reason he cannot develop into the best player on a championship  contender with the right coach, culture, and talent around him.  The Bucks lack in all of these areas.  I guess we could say that they have solid talent but the pieces don't really fit together.     

An earlier poster suggested that it is more reasonable to compare Giannis' offensive game to Anthony Davis rather than an elite wing player.  This is absolutely true IMO.  His ability to dominate in the paint is amazing to watch. 

His lack of a jump shot is a fair criticism.  Just remember that this flaw prevents him from being an unstoppable force, as opposed to not being a top 10 player.   

« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 09:38:41 AM by Green-18 »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
NOOO, Tatum is already ahead of where Freak was when he came in the league...and he's not even filled out. His game will get more polished with more tricks.

I would like to see him go work with Kobe this summer because you can see he's watched a lot of his game. The post moves, the face ups, the crossovers are vintage Kobe. Now he just needs to get stronger and refine those skills.

The Bucks can keep the non-shooting Freak.

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2958
  • On To Banner 18!
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
So I’m going change my vote.  Jayson Tatum is officially untouchable in my book.

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
Ainge again was right.

He was right about Jaylen. He was right about Rozier. He was right about Tatum.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Tatum, has carried his team in the playoffs

Simmons = fail

Only Mitchell is Tatums equal

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Tatum, has carried his team in the playoffs

Simmons = fail

Only Mitchell is Tatums equal
And Mitchell takes 20+ shots a game
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)