Author Topic: Making Sense of this Season by Finding Player Equivalents  (Read 2934 times)

Re: Making Sense of this Season by Finding Player Equivalents
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2019, 05:07:34 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
It's as if LarBrd33 looked at the Celtics' roster in NBA 2k19 right now, noticed that the player ratings were lower than you would have assumed based on the pre-season hype, and concluded that the talent on the roster was overrated all along.

Yet the ratings are adjusted over the course of the season to reflect the way the players are playing and producing on the court.

Gordon Hayward was rated something like 86 at the start of the season, now 79.

You can argue based on what we all knew before the season started that the rating should have been a 79 all along.

You can't argue that the fact that he's a 79 now is proof sufficient that we should have set our expectations lower from the start.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2019, 05:12:01 PM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
It's as if LarBrd33 looked at the Celtics' roster in NBA 2k19 right now, noticed that the player ratings were lower than you would have assumed based on the pre-season hype, and concluded that the talent on the roster was overrated all along.

Yet the ratings are adjusted over the course of the season to reflect the way the players are playing and producing on the court.

You can argue based on what we all knew before the season started that the rating should have been a 79 all along.

You can't argue that the fact that he's a 79 now is proof sufficient that we should have set our expectations lower from the start.

Couldn't agree more.  Let's ignore individual player expectations for a minute.  I think most of us assumed that character, mental toughness, effort, etc. were a given.  I was slightly concerned about the potential for an early season letdown, but most of us took for granted that a CBS team would be a resilient group when push came to shove.

« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2019, 05:18:17 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Couldn't agree more.  Let's ignore individual player expectations for a minute.  I think most of us assumed that character, mental toughness, effort, etc. were a given.  I was slightly concerned about the potential for an early season letdown, but most of us took for granted that a CBS team would be a resilient group when push came to shove.

Very good point.

I'm open to the argument that, on paper, the talent on this team, even based on what we knew and reasonably hoped before the season, was not good enough to support the predictions of 60-65+ wins that were not uncommon in September.

But if you want to make that argument, you have to be willing to address the fact that over the last 3-4 years the Celtics under Brad Stevens have been well coached.  What I have heard about them consistently from national media folks is that the Celtics consistently try hard every night, even during the doldrums of the season.

The pre-season predictions were based on an assessment of the talent on the roster as well as the baked in assumption that they would play with effort, discipline, and an edge on a regular basis throughout the season.

We haven't seen that at all, which is in some ways more disappointing than the realization that the talent might not be what we thought.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain