Author Topic: The Future of Russell Westbrook  (Read 3414 times)

Re: The Future of Russell Westbrook
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2019, 11:39:36 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Not much the Thunder can do from here.

They're locked into long-term deals with Westbrook, George and Adams.

Only significant move I can see them making is firing Bill Donovan, though I am not sure how much is his fault and who they would replace him with.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 01:22:56 PM by gpap »

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2019, 12:03:45 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
I think the roster is actually quite good. Westbrook and George are all stars who can create offense. Stevens is a legit interior, defensive force. Grant is a super athlete and has learned to knock down 3's, a terrific modern 4/5. Schroder is a pretty good 3rd guard (of course, they need a #2 guard). Morris and Patterson should be solid role guys.

I think if Westbrook played within himself and his actual play was more reflective of his stats (and talent) they would be a Finals contender. Which is not to let the organization (coaching and front office) off the hook. They're as much to blame for emboldening Westbrook's bad behavior.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2019, 12:41:20 PM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
The problem with Westbrook is his true shooting was 50% this year. It will always be very difficult to win with a player who is that inefficient but demands an absurd usage rate. I would trade him for picks and young players in a heartbeat.

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2019, 12:41:35 PM »

Offline GreenCoffeeBean

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
Needs to expand his game in order to be successful in the playoffs. He's experiencing what LBJ went through in the first half of his career. If you're going to be ball dominant but can't score from literally every where, teams will scheme you in a best of 7 series.

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2019, 01:43:49 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Thunder with Westbrooke to my eyes is simular to Bron ,  you need lots of shooters ... as he becomes double teamed , he needs to find the open shooter .  If they single cover him, then take them to the rim .

He needs a bit redirection ,  handling the ball alot is ok , if he has good shooters to pass it to.

To me he needs a GM and coach that can build the team to work better .

« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2019, 02:24:36 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
The problem with Westbrook is his true shooting was 50% this year. It will always be very difficult to win with a player who is that inefficient but demands an absurd usage rate. I would trade him for picks and young players in a heartbeat.

Bingo.

This is why the comparisons to LeBron aren't really on point. Russ has never been in LeBron's league in scoring efficiency.

LeBron's career TS% is .586, and he had several years in his prime north of 60% -- up to a ridiculous  .649 in his peak season with Miami at age 29.

Last year, Russ was 30 - likely nearing the end of his prime. His TS% was *15 points lower* than peak LeBron at .501.  That's is just insanely different. His career-best year for TS% was right around league average, at .554, about 9.5 points below career-best LBJ.

(The difference, by the way, was not the number of shots attempted; they've been close - within a few shots per game.)

« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2019, 02:30:05 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
The future of Russell Westbrook will be much like his past and present -- a lot of missed jumpers.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2019, 02:45:35 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
The future of Russell Westbrook will be much like his past and present -- a lot of missed jumpers.

Russ Westbrook: [shoots]

Rim: [Clang] Next question.

« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2019, 03:00:14 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
The idea that OKC should trade Russ for picks and young players.....

What team is giving up picks and young players for him? Just matching him in salary to complete a trade is a challenge.

« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2019, 03:06:41 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150

What team is giving up picks and young players for him? Just matching him in salary to complete a trade is a challenge.

The Lakers?

« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2019, 03:10:06 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

The Lakers?
I don't think they'd want to pair LBJ with a non-shooting ball dominant PG. They fit the profile of a desperate team for sure though.

« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2019, 03:47:30 PM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
The Future of Russell Westbrook?

Read "The sorrows of a young millionaire ball-hog" by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
Everything is in inside. He was in love, but when KD left, he closed himself from within and became this alter ego...
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2019, 05:03:08 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Russ Westbrook: [shoots]

Rim: [Clang] Next question.

Nobody:

Absolutely Nobody At All:

Russell Westbrook: Shoots 35 foot three pointer with 20 seconds left on the shot clock.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain