Author Topic: NFL Playoffs thread  (Read 23727 times)

Re: NFL Playoffs thread
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2020, 08:18:25 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
In the era of offensive football, not a single team scored more than 20 points in regulation this weekend.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2020, 09:52:36 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2943
  • On To Banner 18!
In the era of offensive football, not a single team scored more than 20 points in regulation this weekend.

Kind of reminds me of last season, especially after that insane Chiefs-Rams game (which finished with a score of 54-51) how everyone was talking about an "offensive revolution" and how the game was becoming like college with all the different schemes, mobile QBs, etc.

Then came the SB which the Pats won 13-3, and even during that postseason quite a few games had low scores too.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2020, 10:01:18 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586

Kind of reminds me of last season, especially after that insane Chiefs-Rams game (which finished with a score of 54-51) how everyone was talking about an "offensive revolution" and how the game was becoming like college with all the different schemes, mobile QBs, etc.

Then came the SB which the Pats won 13-3, and even during that postseason quite a few games had low scores too.

You guys are making a really interesting point.
It seems that the defense has "caught up" with the passing game. I also think, league rules allow the defensive back to get really tight on the receiver.

I think some of this is in response to offensive coordinators just calling for deep passes looking for flags.

Also, the amount of "flopping" by receivers has grown....evidently NFL players are watching too much soccer.

The basics are "if you reward" a player for a certain behavior? He'll get after it again and again.

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2020, 11:12:55 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
well the top 2 offenses in the league were on bye (Ravens, Niners).  The Chiefs also a top tier offense on bye.  By yards, Seattle had the most of the teams that played and they were 8th in the league.  The Bills and Patriots had very mediocre offenses on the whole.  In other words, the weekend was mostly mediocre offenses going against mostly good defenses.  I'd be surprised if there isn't a lot more scoring this week when 3 of the top 5 offenses take the field for the first time in the postseason. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2020, 11:53:07 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
well the top 2 offenses in the league were on bye (Ravens, Niners).  The Chiefs also a top tier offense on bye.  By yards, Seattle had the most of the teams that played and they were 8th in the league.  The Bills and Patriots had very mediocre offenses on the whole.  In other words, the weekend was mostly mediocre offenses going against mostly good defenses.  I'd be surprised if there isn't a lot more scoring this week when 3 of the top 5 offenses take the field for the first time in the postseason.

Among the top 10 offenses in DVOA this season, only Dallas and Oakland missed the playoffs.

New Orleans, 4th, lost in the WC round. 

Still remaining in the playoffs:

Bal - 1st
KC - 3rd
Sea - 5th
Ten - 6th
SF - 7th
GB - 8th

Perhaps part of the issue is that some of these offenses were trending down.  NE was 11th in DVOA but if you just took the last 2 months of the season it would probably be closer to the bottom of the league.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2020, 12:36:17 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

Among the top 10 offenses in DVOA this season, only Dallas and Oakland missed the playoffs.

New Orleans, 4th, lost in the WC round. 

Still remaining in the playoffs:

Bal - 1st
KC - 3rd
Sea - 5th
Ten - 6th
SF - 7th
GB - 8th

Perhaps part of the issue is that some of these offenses were trending down.  NE was 11th in DVOA but if you just took the last 2 months of the season it would probably be closer to the bottom of the league.
That may be true.  New England was a bad offense that had its early season numbers inflated by playing a bunch of bad teams.  Once their schedule difficultly increased, New England's true colors came out.   

The Seahawks played very safe once Wentz went down (which obviously also affected Philly's offense).  If Wentz doesn't go down, I think both those teams score a lot more. 

Once Minnesota went up 10, they also went pretty conservative.  They scored on 4 of their first 8 drives and then didn't score their last 4 as they tried to kill out the clock.  They opened it back up in OT and went immediately down the field and scored.

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2020, 08:54:19 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
The Ravens better wake up.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2020, 08:57:36 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
The Ravens better wake up.
a little rusty. Dropped passes and penalties have been problems

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2020, 08:58:36 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
Ravens getting torched by Ryan Tannehill.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2020, 09:25:47 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Ravens getting torched by Ryan Tannehill.
Awesome!
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2020, 09:43:26 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
Two field goals is all this revolutionary offense could muster in a half? They better wake up...
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2020, 09:51:52 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
As long as it's not the Chiefs or Packers, I'm good with whoever wins it all. I'd prefer SF not win because you just know the media will ride with the "did we keep a mistake keeping Brady and not Jimmy G." the entire offseason, but I also wouldn't mind if they won. As for KC + GB, you just know the media will have a love-affair with Rodgers or Mahomes and already acting like they are the GOAT or something.

« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2020, 10:32:06 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Wow. I didn’t expect this.  28-6.

« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2020, 10:36:19 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
LOL this would be a MASSIVE choke by BAL. Considering most assumed they would cruise to the SB. I'll admit, even I thought they would reach the SB rather easily. But dang...

« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2020, 10:46:40 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Lamar Jackson with another terrible playoff performance. He was awful last year in his first playoff game but might be having a worse game today.

Jackson with 2 INTs, 1 fumble lost on a strip sack, 3 sacks, 2 4th and 1's where he lost yardage keeping the ball both times, multiple inaccurate throws and a terrible penalty where he could have seriously hurt that guy with that horse tackle/helmet hold and fling tackle.