Author Topic: Welp, here we go...Rondo and Carlisle going at each other  (Read 59559 times)

Re: Welp, here we go...Rondo and Carlisle going at each other
« Reply #105 on: February 25, 2015, 04:12:07 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
What's not really talked about is the NBA is much more of a 3 point shooting league than it was when RR was in his prime.  Take away one 'small' who can hit the 3 these days and your team is at a disadvantage.  So I think that when people say the market for Rondo has diminished, it really is true.  He needs to find the right situation,

I agree with this analysis. Ainge, in his own way, agrees also.

Thomas is the point guard that Ainge "wanted."
Rondo was the point guard Ainge traded.

I do not suggest the two players contracts, deals, situations are equals. I suggest, in line with the post quoted here, that Thomas is more the "contemporary point guard" with a relatively effective three pointer and distinctly more aggressive drive to the hoop followed by above average FT shooting. (Jury is still out on Thomas' "complete game." I hope but, am unsure as to whether the Steven's system is perfect for Thomas. I am elated with the offense, I don't know about the rest of the players on the court with him, it is too early.)

Ainge knows what he wants, but, all GM's are driven by changes in the game and three point shooting has driven the stat mavens to the point of having a head coach tell Jared Sullinger to tee up 381 three pt attempts in his last 125 games. (he hit 27.7% of them)

Rondo is a brilliant passer/tactician who doesn't have the 3 pt shooting/scoring chops NBA teams are designing into the PG position.

It would be interesting to know some background with Mark Cuban,his coach and GM. I like Rick Carlisle, but, it is neither his fault or Rondo's if an owner and GM "put the deal on him" without his full participation.

Maybe Carlisle never wanted this player as he knew well, Rondo was not a "fit" and they are stuck with each other?

Drama.

« Reply #106 on: February 25, 2015, 04:17:48 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
You can say what you want about Rondo, but personally I'm not very impressed with Carlisle.

For all of Doc's "coaching" he was able to keep Rondo very productive and Stevens had Rondo just a couple months ago playing completely differently than this.

And Rondo isn't the only player in Dallas having a noticably down year. Anyone following Parsons? He isn't playing at last year's level either. What's the excuse there?

The Mavs are a stacked team and they aren't playing like one. I put that at Carlisle's feet. Now he's got Amare to help. Let's see how that goes.

« Reply #107 on: February 25, 2015, 04:18:25 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
Yeah I unfortunately feel like Rondo can't be a star unless he is that level of athlete.  I think he lost a step and the league really does value spacing like others have said.

I love passing and I think Rondo is the best passer in the league.  But that level of passing is not worth his weaknesses at FT shooting and jump shootings.  It's worth to take a lesser passer with those abilities.

Thomas and Smart for example can throw some nice passes.  Not full court bounce passes, but nice ones.  I'll always love watching Rondo pass as a fan, but I think that's the truth of it.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #108 on: February 25, 2015, 04:30:14 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
Much ado about nothing.  Paul Pierce and Doc got over their differences, and so will they.  If they don't, it is not the Celtics problem.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #109 on: February 25, 2015, 04:41:00 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
You can say what you want about Rondo, but personally I'm not very impressed with Carlisle.

For all of Doc's "coaching" he was able to keep Rondo very productive and Stevens had Rondo just a couple months ago playing completely differently than this.

And Rondo isn't the only player in Dallas having a noticably down year. Anyone following Parsons? He isn't playing at last year's level either. What's the excuse there?

The Mavs are a stacked team and they aren't playing like one. I put that at Carlisle's feet. Now he's got Amare to help. Let's see how that goes.

You do remember that Carlisle won a title in 2011, right?

« Reply #110 on: February 25, 2015, 04:44:41 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

Yeah and Doc won a title, too.

« Reply #111 on: February 25, 2015, 04:53:34 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

He said he was not impressed by Carlisle, but I wanted to remind him how his Mavs beat the heavily favored Heat in the Finals. Also, it was the same Carlisle team who pushed the champion Spurs to 7 games last year.

« Reply #112 on: February 25, 2015, 04:57:20 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
He just got suspended by the team.

« Reply #113 on: February 25, 2015, 04:57:50 PM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
Reportedly Rondo has been suspended one game by the Mavs.
Rajon Rondo has been suspended by the Dallas Mavericks for one game for conduct detrimental to the team.

Rondo and Rick Carlisle had a verbal altercation in the second half of the Mavericks' win on Tuesday.

Rondo will miss the Mavericks' game against the Atlanta Hawks.
Jack of all trades, master of none.

« Reply #114 on: February 25, 2015, 05:04:07 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis

He said he was not impressed by Carlisle, but I wanted to remind him how his Mavs beat the heavily favored Heat in the Finals. Also, it was the same Carlisle team who pushed the champion Spurs to 7 games last year.

I posted the sentence in direct reference to eja117's post - that some of us here were seemingly not impressed with Doc in BOS, either.

I love Doc Rivers, first of all, but we've ALL read here over the years the same thing on the Blog, right?

"Why are the Celtics playing slow?"

"Why are the Celtics playing down to the competition?"

"Are the Celtics "turning it on" in the post-season?"

etc, etc, etc.....

Coach Carlylse is not without fault here, too.

« Reply #115 on: February 25, 2015, 05:12:02 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
Good for the Mavs to back up Carlisle. Rondo's baggage doesn't match his game anymore.

He's had issues with everyone. From his HS coach who suspended him for 12 games, with Tubby Smith at Kentucky, with Doc, with Stevens (birthday party incident), with refs, with a cameraman, with Heat sideline reporter Jason Jackson, and now with Carlisle.

« Reply #116 on: February 25, 2015, 05:14:00 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

God I had practically forgotten. You know it's not 2011, right?

« Reply #117 on: February 25, 2015, 05:14:40 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
Good for the Mavs to back up Carlisle. Rondo's baggage doesn't match his game anymore.

He's had issues with everyone. From his HS coach who suspended him for 12 games, with Tubby Smith at Kentucky, with Doc, with Stevens (birthday party incident), with refs, with a cameraman, with Heat sideline reporter Jason Jackson, and now with Carlisle.

Glad you've been keeping score.

You've got more dirt on Rondo than the FBI......

« Reply #118 on: February 25, 2015, 05:14:40 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Rick did nothing wrong

There is one chief and the rest Indians

Rondo was trying to PUSH his way into control ...

Rick would have none of it .

That's why a no name soft spoken  Spo was used to coach the Heat .....hot headed Wade won't listen to authority ......just Pat Riley riding shotgun in the background

Rondo might get kicked off,the team ,  if,he does this again ...defies authority .......this is not brown nosing Doc Rivers he is playing for

« Reply #119 on: February 25, 2015, 05:14:52 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

Wow. Doc really worked some miracles with that team full of Hall of Famers and all stars.
How are the Clippers doing?