Author Topic: Crazy to think Tatum already has a better playoff career than Hayward  (Read 3292 times)

Offline Ed Hollison

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 195
I'm glad people haven't forgotten already how good Hayward was (and hopefully still is). He's tailor-made for this team, and for the league in general the way it is right now. Can handle, shoot, rebound, pass, body up big guys on D, stay with little guys on the perimeter. He's going to be a godsend to this team next year.

This team is going to be loaded next year, and adding Hayward is going to make their offense and their DEFENSE even better.
"A thought of hatred must be destroyed by a more powerful thought of love."

http://fruittreeblog.com

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
This may be true. Tatum and Brown both have huge upside, but that doesn't mean they have the IQ yet to make the right basketball play each possession.

This is what Hayward and Horford both bring to the table. They will not only exemplify making the right play, but their play will enable Brown and Tatum to take good shots and be highly efficient.

When I say that I think Hayward might come off the bench next year, it's not because he isn't invaluable, or because I think he is worse than Brown and Tatum. I think he is better than they are now, but I think he has the empty ego and high IQ necessary to fit in around everyone else, making high IQ basketball plays, and raising the entire quality of the team.

I could easily see Hayward and Horford's numbers lower than Brown, Tatum, and Irving next year. But every person on the team has too make everyone else better. Tatum and Brown can't do that yet (and Irving is still learning how to do that), but Horford and Hayward can.

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
Gordon Hayward career playoff stats:  19.6 points, 5.2 rebounds, 3.3 assists, 0.9 steals - 40%/36%/95% shooting - 15 games with 4 wins

Jayson Tatum career playoff stats:  18.4 points, 4.3 rebounds, 2.9 assists, 1.2 steals - 46%/33%/84%  - 17 games with 11 wins

Ya, but Hayward's numbers were in the Western Conference, while Tatum's are from the East.  That's like comparing the stats of somebody playing a game on Extreme difficulty with somebody playing on Easy.

To be fair, the West is at least 2x harder then the East, so I think we should apply a factor of 2 to all of Hayward's stats to fairly adjust so it's an apples to apples comparison.

So Hayward was basically averaging 39.2/10.4/6.6/1.8 on 80%/72%/190% shooting had he played in the East.

And if you think those stats look crazy, we'll now verify this 2x factor by looking at Isaiah's stats going from East to West.  He dropped from 30 to 15ppg, 0.9 to 0.4spg, 0.2 to 0.1bpg, and 1 All-D team vote to 0.  Math checks out.

So you just got to know how to do the math.

TP. This post made me actually laugh out loud at work the further I got.
#JKJB

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Is Tatum's HOF ceremony happening before or after the game tonight?

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178

I think to be fair if you quote stats to enhance your argument then you should consider a players teammates. No way Hayward played on a comparable team in Utah to our current Celtics..

I think we are really lucky to have our players and see no reason Brad cant start Horford,  Kyrie, Brown,  Tatum and Hayward in every game. At the 5 minute mark he makes a change. Simple positionless basketball with matchups adjusted as you go.

Hayward Tatum  and Brown  all can destroy most opposing PF offensively already. If they score on us or rebound over us we attack and get them in foul trouble.
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku