3 (7.5%)
C-
3 (7.5%)
D
1 (2.5%)
F
1 (2.5%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Author Topic: Grade the Kawhi trade for the Spurs  (Read 2782 times)

Re: Grade the Kawhi trade for the Spurs
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2018, 02:50:02 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
They traded a disgruntled MVP caliber talent who hadn't played meaningful minutes for them in over a year for a guy who was selected to the All-NBA second team this year.

What's more, the guy they acquired in the trade can slot into almost the same role as guy they traded away.  Granted, he's not nearly as good as the guy they traded, but if keeping Kawhi were an option they wouldn't have traded him.

If you have to trade your star you'd like to get a return that gives the trade a ceiling of what the Celts got out of the Brooklyn trade.  In other words, multiple chances at getting a very high pick in the draft.

Failing that, if your goal is continue to be competitive in the short term, exchanging your disgruntled star for a lesser but still very productive and valuable star is pretty great.

The ceiling for this trade is that it allows the Spurs to continue to compete in the 45-55 win range and maybe try to win a playoff series.  When you consider that they'd be in the same or worse position in the short term if they'd kept Kawhi, and worse position after next season when Kawhi inevitably left in free agency, that's pretty good.

Given all that, I'd give it an A-.  Especially since they also added a solid, productive young big man and an okay-ish pick.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2018, 02:54:52 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
I gave Spurs an A. Not only they get DeRozan for 3 years but also a sleeper player in Jakob Poeltl..he will take Gasol place when he is gone..
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2018, 03:17:50 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
They traded a disgruntled MVP caliber talent who hadn't played meaningful minutes for them in over a year for a guy who was selected to the All-NBA second team this year.

What's more, the guy they acquired in the trade can slot into almost the same role as guy they traded away.  Granted, he's not nearly as good as the guy they traded, but if keeping Kawhi were an option they wouldn't have traded him.

If you have to trade your star you'd like to get a return that gives the trade a ceiling of what the Celts got out of the Brooklyn trade.  In other words, multiple chances at getting a very high pick in the draft.

Failing that, if your goal is continue to be competitive in the short term, exchanging your disgruntled star for a lesser but still very productive and valuable star is pretty great.

The ceiling for this trade is that it allows the Spurs to continue to compete in the 45-55 win range and maybe try to win a playoff series.  When you consider that they'd be in the same or worse position in the short term if they'd kept Kawhi, and worse position after next season when Kawhi inevitably left in free agency, that's pretty good.

Given all that, I'd give it an A-.  Especially since they also added a solid, productive young big man and an okay-ish pick.

I agree with this. Is it possible Poetl is a bit underrated? He was the 9th pick in his draft and is only 22 now (centers take longer to develop sometimes). He averaged 7 and 5 in just 18 minutes last year. I don't know how far his shooting range is off hand..

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2018, 03:35:54 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville

Good points Pho, but I doubt SAS ever had multiple firsts as its priority. They wanted to remain competitive.

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2018, 03:58:21 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

Good points Pho, but I doubt SAS ever had multiple firsts as its priority. They wanted to remain competitive.

Maybe not.  I was speaking from an objective standpoint there; also, I imagine if a Billy King Nets deal had been available, I think the Spurs would have jumped on it regardless of their desire to remain competitive.  No such deal was ever on the table from what I've read.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2018, 04:01:31 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

I agree with this. Is it possible Poetl is a bit underrated? He was the 9th pick in his draft and is only 22 now (centers take longer to develop sometimes). He averaged 7 and 5 in just 18 minutes last year. I don't know how far his shooting range is off hand..

Poeltl shot 44.4% on attempts in the 3-10 foot range and barely attempted anything beyond that.

He's also only decent rebounder (grabs about 14-15% of available boards).

I think Poeltl is a nice young center with potential to become a solid starting center.

The problem is, in today's league you can find nice, healthy, productive 20-28 minute centers for the MLE or less virtually every off-season.

That's not to say he isn't an asset, but I think his position and role is very easy and low-cost to fill.  Therefore, not a huge asset.
- Mark Twain