Author Topic: 2017-18 EPL Season  (Read 54842 times)

Re: 2017-18 EPL Season
« Reply #210 on: January 20, 2018, 09:16:50 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
https://twitter.com/brfootball/status/954722673002770433

If he picks up his Dortmund form, he will be an excellent replacement for Alexis.
Yeah but I wouldn't bank on it, he really struggles against good or physical teams imo. He'll be more like what he did at his best in United consistently for United I guess, and that's still very good. Also surprised that it wasa straight swap.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #211 on: January 21, 2018, 11:21:17 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

If he picks up his Dortmund form, he will be an excellent replacement for Alexis.
Yeah but I wouldn't bank on it, he really struggles against good or physical teams imo. He'll be more like what he did at his best in United consistently for United I guess, and that's still very good. Also surprised that it wasa straight swap.

I thought there was going to be money involved too. I understood that we can't get cash in the deal as well as we are not in a position of leverage to ask for it, but I'll take this.

The prospect of having two legitimate #10's behind Lacazette is very intriguing.

And this is probably just the Arsenal fan in me talking, but I think Mkhitaryan would do well here compare to United with Mourinho. He's going to have much more freedom to move with Arsenal.

Now, bring in his buddy Aubameyang and we got ourselves a window.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #212 on: January 22, 2018, 02:39:39 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

I thought there was going to be money involved too. I understood that we can't get cash in the deal as well as we are not in a position of leverage to ask for it, but I'll take this.

The prospect of having two legitimate #10's behind Lacazette is very intriguing.

And this is probably just the Arsenal fan in me talking, but I think Mkhitaryan would do well here compare to United with Mourinho. He's going to have much more freedom to move with Arsenal.

Now, bring in his buddy Aubameyang and we got ourselves a window.
Sure I think that he'll be great in Arsenal, just not league MVP level aka his BvB form lol.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #213 on: March 10, 2018, 10:00:45 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
Huge wins against Chelsea and Liverpool! On to Sevilla!
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #214 on: March 10, 2018, 10:30:09 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816

Such a soft draw for Liverpool, Man U and city
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #215 on: March 11, 2018, 12:17:20 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

Haha at least they're making the CL next year. Assuming you're a Chelsea fan.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #216 on: March 12, 2018, 06:39:41 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816

Haha at least they're making the CL next year. Assuming you're a Chelsea fan.
Spurs
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #217 on: March 12, 2018, 05:32:43 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
https://twitter.com/ArsenalsRelated/status/972853229708038146

Alexis Sanchez with Manchester United:

1 tap in goal
2 assists

Henrikh Mkhitaryan with Arsenal:

2 goals
6 assists

I mean, we still suck, but I'm glad that everyone who thought that we got the bad end of that swap deal is being proven wrong, so far.

Really can't wait what a new manager can do with the **** front line.

« Reply #218 on: March 12, 2018, 07:45:40 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
https://twitter.com/ArsenalsRelated/status/972853229708038146

Alexis Sanchez with Manchester United:

1 tap in goal
2 assists

Henrikh Mkhitaryan with Arsenal:

2 goals
6 assists

I mean, we still suck, but I'm glad that everyone who thought that we got the bad end of that swap deal is being proven wrong, so far.

Really can't wait what a new manager can do with the **** front line.
It wasn't bad at all, it was more of a fit thing for both teams.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #219 on: April 08, 2018, 01:44:08 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
GLORY GLORY MAN UNITED
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #220 on: April 20, 2018, 11:09:38 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
It has happened.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11670/11338713/arsene-wenger-to-step-down-as-arsenal-manager-at-the-end-of-the-season

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has confirmed he will step down from his role at the end of the season.

Wenger, 68, will leave a year before his existing contract was due to expire having led the club to three Premier League titles and seven FA Cups during a 22-year reign.

Appointed on 1 October 1996, the Frenchman is the Premier League's current longest-serving manager and has taken charge of a record 823 games.

I... I actually don't know what to feel. I mean, I wanted him out, but now that it's official, I feel weird about it...

« Reply #221 on: April 20, 2018, 04:22:49 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/37430014

Pick Wenger's best Arsenal XI .... tough to figure out.

I went 4-2-3-1 with
Seaman, Lauren, Sol Campbell, Adams and Ashley Cole in defense.
Vieira and Cazorla as my two holding midfielders
Ljungberg, Ozil and Pires as my attacking midfielders
Henry as my lone striker

442 with Bergkamp was very tempting but I wanted more control in midfield. An extra body.

I went with Cazorla because I think he was the best CM in the Premier League when he was healthy. A phenomenal passer and conductor from midfield. Dictated rhythm of games. I choose him as a partner to Vieira over the more defensive options like Petit or Gilberto Silva. I was tempted by Fabregas but he was always more comfortable higher up the pitch. Cazorla was better defensively. Quicker over 10 yards at closing down opposition. Cazorla gave better balance defensively than Fabregas.

I went with Ozil as as my #10 because Bergkamp was only an option as a forward. If Bergkamp had of been available, that would have been a much tougher choice. Fabregas was a strong option as well. Ozil arguably gives the best balance of the trio though. Bergkamp was phenomenal in the final 3rd as a passer but Ozil can play both middle 3rd and final 3rd. More of a true midfielder whereas Bergkamp was a deep forward. Ozil is a better dribbler and more comfortable in wide areas than Fabregas. He also covers more ground in attack and in defense than Cesc does. So Ozil could very well have been the right choice all along over the more romantic selections of Bergkamp or Fabregas.

I loved Overmars but Pires had to be in the team. A more versatile attacking threat than Overmars direct wide wing play. I think Pires would be phenomenal in a 4-2-3-1 too and would interact well with Cazorla and Ozil as creative hubs behind Henry. I liked Ljungberg on the right wing because he was a different sort of midfielder. Less of a playmaker than the others but more well-rounded. Made great runs from deep and would give Pires, Ozil and Co. a target to find with their passers. Someone who would break the lines from midfield.

I have a soft spot for Anelka. Another tough one for me to leave out.

« Reply #222 on: April 20, 2018, 06:17:32 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/37430014

Pick Wenger's best Arsenal XI .... tough to figure out.

I went 4-2-3-1 with
Seaman, Lauren, Sol Campbell, Adams and Ashley Cole in defense.
Vieira and Cazorla as my two holding midfielders
Ljungberg, Ozil and Pires as my attacking midfielders
Henry as my lone striker

442 with Bergkamp was very tempting but I wanted more control in midfield. An extra body.

I went with Cazorla because I think he was the best CM in the Premier League when he was healthy. A phenomenal passer and conductor from midfield. Dictated rhythm of games. I choose him as a partner to Vieira over the more defensive options like Petit or Gilberto Silva. I was tempted by Fabregas but he was always more comfortable higher up the pitch. Cazorla was better defensively. Quicker over 10 yards at closing down opposition. Cazorla gave better balance defensively than Fabregas.

I went with Ozil as as my #10 because Bergkamp was only an option as a forward. If Bergkamp had of been available, that would have been a much tougher choice. Fabregas was a strong option as well. Ozil arguably gives the best balance of the trio though. Bergkamp was phenomenal in the final 3rd as a passer but Ozil can play both middle 3rd and final 3rd. More of a true midfielder whereas Bergkamp was a deep forward. Ozil is a better dribbler and more comfortable in wide areas than Fabregas. He also covers more ground in attack and in defense than Cesc does. So Ozil could very well have been the right choice all along over the more romantic selections of Bergkamp or Fabregas.

I loved Overmars but Pires had to be in the team. A more versatile attacking threat than Overmars direct wide wing play. I think Pires would be phenomenal in a 4-2-3-1 too and would interact well with Cazorla and Ozil as creative hubs behind Henry. I liked Ljungberg on the right wing because he was a different sort of midfielder. Less of a playmaker than the others but more well-rounded. Made great runs from deep and would give Pires, Ozil and Co. a target to find with their passers. Someone who would break the lines from midfield.

I have a soft spot for Anelka. Another tough one for me to leave out.

I'd switch Freddie Ljungberg with Dennis Bergkamp, other than that, I totally in agreement with everything. I know he played as a second striker with Thierry Henry in his Arsenal days, but he did play some right wing in his early years at Ajax, so I think he'd still do well.

I wanted Martin Keown just to add some roughness to the backline, but Tony Adams is just a better player. I also wanted to put Nacho Monreal in place of Ashley Cole, because I didn't want a traitor, but again, a better player than who I wanted from my heart.

I tried to slot in Cesc Fabregas, my absolute favorite player, anywhere in there, but I just can't.

« Reply #223 on: April 20, 2018, 11:59:39 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
It has happened.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11670/11338713/arsene-wenger-to-step-down-as-arsenal-manager-at-the-end-of-the-season

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has confirmed he will step down from his role at the end of the season.

Wenger, 68, will leave a year before his existing contract was due to expire having led the club to three Premier League titles and seven FA Cups during a 22-year reign.

Appointed on 1 October 1996, the Frenchman is the Premier League's current longest-serving manager and has taken charge of a record 823 games.

I... I actually don't know what to feel. I mean, I wanted him out, but now that it's official, I feel weird about it...

Yeah, and I'm pretty sure his successor will be former Dortmund coach Thomas Tuchel.

Bayern Munich wanted Tuchel as their new coach, but he declined, since he already had an agreement with an "international top club". Looking at the short list of potential teams for which you would decline a Bayern offer, I had a feeling it would be Arsenal. Add the fact Arsenal just recently added two germans (Lehmann, Mertesacker) to their staff, I'm pretty sure it will be Tuchel.

EDIT: Forgot PSG, which is pretty much the only other top team which fits the bill.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 12:09:49 AM by Casperian »
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #224 on: April 21, 2018, 12:07:04 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
I hope Arsenal can win the EL at least to send Wenger off, great manager and if he wins it'll be his first European trophy for Arsenal right? That would be a great sendoff. Also if Tuchel joins Arsenal the PL needs 6 CL spots lol
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA