Author Topic: 2017-18 EPL Season  (Read 54839 times)

Re: 2017-18 EPL Season
« Reply #195 on: January 11, 2018, 11:21:03 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #196 on: January 11, 2018, 11:46:36 AM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82
So, apparently, Man United is also in the hunt for Alexis Sanchez.

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/903304/Alexis-Sanchez-Manchester-United-Man-City-Arsenal-Sky-Sports-Guillem-Balague

If AS wishes to go to United, he will, otherwise, he won't.  The saddest part of that article is that Wenger is still offering up for public consumption the stuff about the possibility that AS will sign a new Arsenal pact in June.  Somehow, I don't believe the Arsenal faithful are buying that...

« Reply #197 on: January 11, 2018, 11:50:54 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I've been pretty disappointed in Lacazette so far.

I am impressed by his runs and shooting technique inside the box but I am unimpressed with his general play. He isn't involved enough in the build up play. Sub-par in holding the ball up. Rarely drops deep. Okay running down the channels but doesn't do it enough. His creative play (creating chances for others) is mediocre. Ball control is fine but not good enough to attack / threaten defenders with his dribbling. Defensively, Lacazette is mediocre.

I am not sure he is better than Giroud or Welbeck -- just different. Different rather than better. More of a penalty box finisher. Whereas Giroud is more of a target man who can hold up the ball and brings others into play. And Welbeck is a Heskey-esque type figure who does lots to help a team in terms of work rate and non-scoring contributions but doesn't score enough.

I like Giroud the best of the trio. I don't see Lacazette as being enough of an upgrade over Welbeck to justify the expenditure (€50-55 million or whatever it was).

I was hoping for more from Lacazette. Been disappointed so far.

« Reply #198 on: January 11, 2018, 12:16:42 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I've been pretty disappointed in Lacazette so far.

I am impressed by his runs and shooting technique inside the box but I am unimpressed with his general play. He isn't involved enough in the build up play. Sub-par in holding the ball up. Rarely drops deep. Okay running down the channels but doesn't do it enough. His creative play (creating chances for others) is mediocre. Ball control is fine but not good enough to attack / threaten defenders with his dribbling. Defensively, Lacazette is mediocre.

I am not sure he is better than Giroud or Welbeck -- just different. Different rather than better. More of a penalty box finisher. Whereas Giroud is more of a target man who can hold up the ball and brings others into play. And Welbeck is a Heskey-esque type figure who does lots to help a team in terms of work rate and non-scoring contributions but doesn't score enough.

I like Giroud the best of the trio. I don't see Lacazette as being enough of an upgrade over Welbeck to justify the expenditure (€50-55 million or whatever it was).

I was hoping for more from Lacazette. Been disappointed so far.

There's very little service coming to him.

His link up play is very good. His finishing can't be showcased because he doesn't get the service. No one sees him when he does those good runs. No one seems to be able to get him the ball in stride during a run. Ramsey and Iwobi seems to particularly ignore him altogether (well, Iwobi just doesn't seem to know how to pass).

I don't think it's him, it more the people around him.

Wenger also stupidly takes him out at around the 70th minute mark. He rarely plays 90 minutes. In late game situations where defenses are tired, he could probably made a mark, but he can't, because AW sits him down.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 12:21:52 PM by Yoki_IsTheName »

« Reply #199 on: January 13, 2018, 12:33:55 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
I am getting pretty annoyed at Conte's negativity over the last few months.

Chelsea are so much better when they play a 343 instead of a 3511. There is too much responsibility on Hazard's shoulders to create everything for the team. He needs more help. He needs Pedro. Someone who can score some goals. Create goals for others. Give the team more width in the final 3rd. Spread out the pitch. Morata is good in the build-up play but he is nowhere near as good as Diego Costa which is putting more pressure on Hazard and makes the decision to drop Pedro even worse for the team's attacking play.

I think Chelsea have been missing David Luiz as well. I am impressed and happy with Christensen overall but he is more functional than creative on the ball. Luiz gives the team much more of a threat on the ball. More able to dribble the ball and carry possession up the pitch. To make long defense splitting passes. Azpilicueta has done great for us this year but I'd love to have Luiz back there to help too. His attacking contributions have been missed.

The midfield 3 has not functioned well together. Kante is a very good player but he is over-rated. He is nowhere near as sound positionally as Makelele was defensively. His limited passing skills make it hard to forward possession -- to give the other 2 central midfielders more freedom to push up and attack. Kante slows down the passing too often. Bakayoko has struggled. I don't think he is as good as Loftus-Cheek and not convinced he is any better than Chalobah. Two academy products. I have liked him better in the 2 holding midfielders configuration than the 3 man configuration where Bakayoko has more attacking responsibilities. He is a willing runner and hard worker but he lacks quality on the ball. Defensive positioning has been weak too which adds further to the disappointment. He is a useful player but I don't see the need for him when we already had Loftus-Cheek and Chalobah. Nevermind Matic who is vastly more skillful on the ball and intelligent defensively.

I like Fabregas but more as a substitute than a starter. He is capable of opening up games when things are tough for the team. But I don't think he is a full time starter anymore at a top level club. He just does not contribute enough when the other team has possession.

I am very excited by Ross Barkley. I think he could do very well in a 3 man midfield. Give the team more attacking impetus. I have always felt Barkley is more of an attack minded CM like Pogba or Lampard than a true 10 that Martinez was trying to make him be at Everton. This 3-5-1-1 or 3-1-4-2 will give Ross the room to fulfill his talents.

Happy with Drinkwater. He is better than I expected. I am very impressed by his runs from midfield into the box. He does a good job supporting the attack from midfield. I think Drinkwater (runs, finishing) and Fabregas (dinks, creative passes) could make a potent combination in combination as attacking CMs.

I would love to see Conte play 2 up front sometime. To play Batshuayi alongside Morata. I am curious to see how Morata would respond to having a 2nd striker alongside him. I thought it worked well for him at Juventus. Batshuayi is more of a soloist but having Morata to help Batshuayi might help him find his footing at Chelsea. He is the best pure goal-scorer at the club. It his general play outside of that that is costing Batshuayi. A 2 striker combination might help that.

« Reply #200 on: January 13, 2018, 06:22:00 PM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82
Mr. Who (or is it Dr. Who?!), since Conte appears to be in his last season as Chelsea manager, what would you think of Allegri replacing him? 

« Reply #201 on: January 13, 2018, 08:25:27 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
Mr. Who (or is it Dr. Who?!), since Conte appears to be in his last season as Chelsea manager, what would you think of Allegri replacing him?
Oh yeah. I was very impressed by how Allegri improved Juve in Europe after taking over from Conte whose teams underachieved in Europe.

Conte is still doing a lot right at Chelsea. I would be happy to see him stay on at Chelsea. He just needs to open that attack up some more. Overly defensive minded over last few months.

« Reply #202 on: January 19, 2018, 08:31:38 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Yoki if the Sanchez transfer goes through can he help us by playing at RW? We currently have a hole a that position and I hope an Arsenal fan can fill me out on Sanchez. Also you'll love Micki, he didn't fit in well with Man U but he'll be great in Arsenal.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #203 on: January 19, 2018, 08:32:18 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
Oh yeah. I was very impressed by how Allegri improved Juve in Europe after taking over from Conte whose teams underachieved in Europe.

Conte is still doing a lot right at Chelsea. I would be happy to see him stay on at Chelsea. He just needs to open that attack up some more. Overly defensive minded over last few months.
Welp possibility of a 2 year transfer ban on Chelsea, hope you guys get through this if it happens, league is worse without Chelsea being competitive.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 08:42:26 AM by Somebody »
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #204 on: January 19, 2018, 10:40:17 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith

Welp possibility of a 2 year transfer ban on Chelsea, hope you guys get through this if it happens, league is worse without Chelsea being competitive.

Silver lining of a bad = it could force us to use our young talent instead of loaning them out year after year. It would be great to have Loftus Cheek and Abraham back. Force us to keep Batshuayi and develop instead of dumping him off.

Almost the whole team is still in it's prime or young so it wouldn't be too hurtful. Fabregas is the main one who is getting on a bit. The rest of the squad is in good shape.

The team still has a lot of room for internal development. Lot of younger players (in defence, midfield and attack) who are still improving and growing. The team can get better without needing to go into the transfer market.

« Reply #205 on: January 19, 2018, 11:24:34 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Freaking Mino Raiola, man. He could easily ruin this deal because of his greediness. I don't understand, why can't Henrikh Mkhitaryan just tell his agent to do the move?

Ugh...

https://twitter.com/bbcsport_david/status/954353693779951616

Mkhitaryan deal up to Raiola. If he agrees it happens, if doesn't it won't. No issue with #MUFC or player. To clarify on Malcolm, reason (among a few) #AFC out was price/value relative to experience - not inexperience alone. Not sure on #THFC reports but Pochettino is a huge fan

« Reply #206 on: January 19, 2018, 11:28:20 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Yoki if the Sanchez transfer goes through can he help us by playing at RW? We currently have a hole a that position and I hope an Arsenal fan can fill me out on Sanchez. Also you'll love Micki, he didn't fit in well with Man U but he'll be great in Arsenal.

He can play pretty much every attacking position on the pitch. I think he'll slot well at the right wing spot. He can make runs from the wide spot, he can get the ball and be a service guy from the wide too, and he can surely go one on one from that wide spot as well.

You're only concern with him will be is that he gives up the ball a little too much. But that could just be because Arsenal doesn't know proper positioning. He's too competitive as well, and that could rub teammates the wrong way, although, that could just be Arsenal not being used to playing with a guy who has a lot of fire and passion.

You guys are getting a great player, and I hate that he's going to you guys, but it's better to get something from him than lose him on a free.

« Reply #207 on: January 20, 2018, 01:06:43 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

He can play pretty much every attacking position on the pitch. I think he'll slot well at the right wing spot. He can make runs from the wide spot, he can get the ball and be a service guy from the wide too, and he can surely go one on one from that wide spot as well.

You're only concern with him will be is that he gives up the ball a little too much. But that could just be because Arsenal doesn't know proper positioning. He's too competitive as well, and that could rub teammates the wrong way, although, that could just be Arsenal not being used to playing with a guy who has a lot of fire and passion.

You guys are getting a great player, and I hate that he's going to you guys, but it's better to get something from him than lose him on a free.
Thanks for the info, hope you guys pick it up with Micki, he's a very creative attacker that can play RW/CM/LW (CM is the best though) who imo fits Arsenal perfectly in a say 3-5-2 if you guys get Aubameyang too. Only thing you might need to look out for is that he tends to falter against very physical, tall and tough midfields/in top 6 derbies.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #208 on: January 20, 2018, 01:13:59 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

Silver lining of a bad = it could force us to use our young talent instead of loaning them out year after year. It would be great to have Loftus Cheek and Abraham back. Force us to keep Batshuayi and develop instead of dumping him off.

Almost the whole team is still in it's prime or young so it wouldn't be too hurtful. Fabregas is the main one who is getting on a bit. The rest of the squad is in good shape.

The team still has a lot of room for internal development. Lot of younger players (in defence, midfield and attack) who are still improving and growing. The team can get better without needing to go into the transfer market.
That's true, but ehhh I think Chelsea needs one more signing or two. You guys still need one more backup striker to have more attacking options.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #209 on: January 20, 2018, 03:12:02 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
https://twitter.com/brfootball/status/954722673002770433

If he picks up his Dortmund form, he will be an excellent replacement for Alexis.