Author Topic: Chad Ford's Second Mock Draft  (Read 12535 times)

Chad Ford's Second Mock Draft
« on: May 27, 2008, 03:33:18 PM »

Offline quikblink

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 14

Re: Chad Ford's Second Mock Draft
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 03:40:56 PM »

Offline jgod213

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 300
I haven't been following the draft rumblings and grumblings too closely this year, but i'm an avid college ball fan and I was shocked to see Chris Douglas-Roberts projected all the way into the mid twenties.

I don't know much about this Plaisted kid, but i can't imagine him having the upside of CDR.  If he were to fall that low i'd hope that Danny could put a little something together to jump up and nab him.  Pierce will need someone to mentor pretty soon.

That being said, i have the utmost confidence in DA to make the right pick.  The deeper into the draft, the better he gets.

DKC Utah Jazz
http://tinyurl.com/kqjb3cv

Starters:   Bledsoe-Gordon-Hayward-Patterson-Favors  | 6th-Kanter
Reserves: Warren-Hardaway-Plumlee-Larkin-Evans-Mbakwe-Huestis-Hummel-Calathes

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 03:41:09 PM »

Offline Jughead

• Broadcast Manager
  • Jrue Holiday
I'm not a big fan of this pick and I can't believe I am saying this, but the team needs a wing to develop for the future to go along with players like Powe/Perkins/Davis and Rondo.  This late in the draft you are much more likely to hit big with a wing than you are a big man.  Perkins was 30th and Davis and Powe were second rounders that I think Danny did well in acquiring as late as he did, but do we really want more of the same?  This is a deep draft (with plenty of bigs available - which hurts my point) and I think going with one of the available wings or even trading up for Bill Walker would be the way to go.

It's too early to get frightened, but Chad Ford knows Danny pretty well (personally) and totally had our number with the Rondo pick a few years ago.  That doesn't mean he'll get it right as Danny likes to move around in the draft and that can change things, but I would keep my eye on Ford's mock as we get closer to the draft...

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 03:41:53 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I am OK with this pick.  I only saw him play once, but I was impressed with him.  He was very athletic, and seemed to have some skills.  I could even see him ending up being a David Lee like player.

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 03:43:20 PM »

Offline quikblink

• Payton Pritchard
PS he has Ante Tomic (who he had going to the Celtics in his last mock draft) going to the Spurs at 26.

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 03:45:25 PM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
Trent Plaisted? Who the hell is Trent Plaisted? I'd much rather we take Nikola Pekovic if guys like Bill Walker and Brandon Rush aren't there.

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 03:48:56 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I'm not a big fan of this pick and I can't believe I am saying this, but the team needs a wing to develop for the future to go along with players like Powe/Perkins/Davis and Rondo.  This late in the draft you are much more likely to hit big with a wing than you are a big man.  Perkins was 30th and Davis and Powe were second rounders that I think Danny did well in acquiring as late as he did, but do we really want more of the same?  This is a deep draft (with plenty of bigs available - which hurts my point) and I think going with one of the available wings or even trading up for Bill Walker would be the way to go.

It's too early to get frightened, but Chad Ford knows Danny pretty well (personally) and totally had our number with the Rondo pick a few years ago.  That doesn't mean he'll get it right as Danny likes to move around in the draft and that can change things, but I would keep my eye on Ford's mock as we get closer to the draft...

I rather they look at the 7 footer.  Let see if they can get someone who can step in and give you  10-15 minutes of decent backup big man.

I think the worst thing to do is to start drafting to prepare for the departure of Pierce, Allen and KG.  When those three leave, I don't think there should be anymore then 3-5 keepers on the team.  And they don't need to be OK. 

They need to be bad enough to get a top 5 pick for 1 or 2 years. 

This draft is about adding pieces that helps win now.  (whether through a rookie or a trade)

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008, 04:01:25 PM »

Offline quikblink

• Payton Pritchard
One noticeable player not taken was Ty Lawson.

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2008, 04:05:20 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
my first thought: "Plaisted, who the heck is Plaisted?"
my second thought: "i really hope CDR, Walker or Rush falls to us at #30"

But, after reading up on Plaisted, I guess he could be a decent pick.  It basically depends on how his workout goes with the Cs (I am assuming he will get one), and whether they think there is upside there.  From what I can tell, it seems like he is agile, skilled and creative, but has been undercoached and undertrained.  Draftexpress compares him to Channing Frye and Jason Smith.  But I still have the second thoughts above.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2008, 04:32:00 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 376
I'm not a big fan of this pick and I can't believe I am saying this, but the team needs a wing to develop for the future to go along with players like Powe/Perkins/Davis and Rondo.  This late in the draft you are much more likely to hit big with a wing than you are a big man

Exactly!  We need a wing, and you are MUCH more likely to get a good wing player later in the draft.  A big white stiff is NOT the way to go.

Here's our guy:

http://www.nbadraft.net/admincp/profiles/jrgiddens.html

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2008, 04:42:37 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
Trent Plaisted? Who the hell is Trent Plaisted? I'd much rather we take Nikola Pekovic if guys like Bill Walker and Brandon Rush aren't there.

Were you trying to be ironic with that?  I am sure many more fans have actually seen Plaisted play than Pekovic.

Although I still prefer Walker or Rush as well.

I really think Plaisted if a great fit based on all that I have read and seen of him.  He will fit in very well with our rotating defense, and is a decent finisher.

Prom what I have heard, Pekovic might not ever come to the NBA.

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2008, 04:44:54 PM »

Offline P2

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 163
  • Green 18!
I want DeVon Hardin. 6'11", very athletic, and played with Leon at Cal. Has completed 4 years of college, and thus will be ready for backup minutes at C.

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2008, 04:58:16 PM »

Offline Jughead

• Broadcast Manager
  • Jrue Holiday
I'm not a big fan of this pick and I can't believe I am saying this, but the team needs a wing to develop for the future to go along with players like Powe/Perkins/Davis and Rondo.  This late in the draft you are much more likely to hit big with a wing than you are a big man

Exactly!  We need a wing, and you are MUCH more likely to get a good wing player later in the draft.  A big white stiff is NOT the way to go.

Here's our guy:

That's where Danny Granger came from.  Luc Longley too I think...

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2008, 04:59:22 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
This mock is even worse than his first one.

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2008, 05:09:52 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

Here's our guy:

He is an intriguing prospect, although he definitely has some skeletons in his closet.  I suppose he fits in the same group with Bill Walker as a guy with a lot of talent that late in the draft.  He is going to need to convince teams he has grown up a lot though.

He got in a barfight and got stabbed when he was at Kansas, then got suspended at New Mexico, where his coach said this: “He did nothing illegal, nothing unethical. This program tries to promote being a good teammate and I want to emphasize that.”

Doesn't jump off the page as a high character guy.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/J.R.-Giddens-74/