Author Topic: Could Tiny and DJ have coexisted?  (Read 1456 times)

Could Tiny and DJ have coexisted?
« on: March 14, 2015, 07:00:53 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
This is obviously a question more for the fans who were lucky enough to see both of those guys play, but my question is - why not?  Sure, Tiny was 35 in 83-84, but replacing him with Gerald Henderson?  Really?  Talk about a serious drop-off in playmaking ability.  I also believe that a Tiny-DJ backcourt would have been a nightmare for the Lakers - on both ends.  Iirc, Archibald was a much better shooter than Henderson, and even in 1983, he did to the Lakers off the bench as a guard what Walton did as a center in 1986 - dominate.  He had 15 assists off the bench and broke the game open, as no one could guard him.  I realize that he might have struggled defensively, at times, against guys like Isiah, but isn't that what we got DJ for?  The collective passing would have been tremendous, imo, and if Pat Riley still opted to put Worthy on DJ and Cooper on Bird (obviously), who is Magic going to 'guard?'  Tiny?  Ahaha not.  Nate could break Magic down off the dribble at will, and he also would have given us the ability to run much more effectively, as DJ was not a lead guard for a fastbreaking team, imo.  Oh, he made excellent to outstanding passes on the break from the wing, but not as the primary ballhandler.  Whose brilliant idea was it to release Tiny, anyway?  KC's?  I think I read somewhere that Jones thought he was done, which pretty much says it all to me.  Start Tiny, DJ, Bird, Max, and Chief, make Henderson the 3rd guard, and give him plenty of minutes to keep Tiny fresh for the postseason.  Am I making any sense here, lol? ;D Just curious.  If we were going to waive anyone, it should have been Quinn Buckner, imo.  That guy couldn't throw it in the ocean from the beach.  Ugh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WghWNST8of8