Author Topic: Russillo: Celtics Will "Aggressively" Try To Trade Into Top 10 Of Draft  (Read 14338 times)

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2943
  • On To Banner 18!
https://twitter.com/ryenarussillo/status/1009452550100156416?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Russillo
Verified account
@ryenarussillo

Can never tell if teams are really trying to move up or everyone just calls each other to see what the action is. However, two teams that I’m hearing are the most aggressive to get in the top 10, Clippers and Celtics.

Do I think they will? Nope. Sounds like smokescreen.

That said, the Clippers are really (and understandably) interested in Kawhi Leonard. Do you think the C's might play the 3rd team in a Spurs-Clippers trade, with Morris, Rozier, #27 and a future non-Kings/Grizzlies Pick going out and getting back #12 and/or #13 from the Clippers. Maybe then using the pick(s) to trade up a little more and hopefully nab Carter? Idk, just being a little creative.

Anyways, I think our best chance at trading up into Top-10 will be with Orlando. I don't think the C's brass likes what they project coming from the 2019 Draft, and they'd probably dangle Rozier + #27 + Kings Pick + Yabusele + Another non-Grizzlies Pick FOR #6. Orlando could consider it (good PG prospect, two future picks including one really good one, and another prospect in Yabu). Don't think they'd accept but honestly I'm not sure if any other team between 7-10 is a "good fit" in terms of trading partners with the C's. Maybe NYK?

My dream is one of Carter/Porter/JJJ (the first two could be there in the 6-10 range, not Jackson though who is likely a Top-4 pick now). Otherwise, I'm fine staying at #27 OR making a small trade up for DiVincenzo, Wagner or Spellman. Trading down for an early 2nd + future pick OR player is another option I wouldn't mind if someone falls maybe (or Ainge actually isn't high on the guys projected around #27).
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Offline CelticsQuestFor18

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27
I think it depends on how highly the Magic view Trae Young. If they love him and he's available (which he will be b/c he isn't a Top-5 projected pick), they may simply take him. Otherwise, if they also feel it's a huge risk to take Porter, maybe they'd do that trade.

I saw a report that said ORL will try to trade up and maybe move from #6 to #4 (MEM). Could get them Doncic although we also now know that Atlanta will likely take Doncic at #3 if he falls there.

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 652
  • MASTER OF PANIC
I would love to move up to 16 to get Divincinzo.

If they can't stay put and grab the best available..I would prefer at 27 Allen, Wagner or Thomas. No thanks to Spellman (think he is going to be a massive bust) Evans, Brown or Okogie.

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

If they can't stay put and grab the best available..I would prefer at 27 Allen, Wagner or Thomas. No thanks to Spellman (think he is going to be a massive bust) Evans, Brown or Okogie.
same. I'm open to cash in a future pick or even rozier to move up to get donte

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2943
  • On To Banner 18!

Is he really going that high? I figured it's more likely he's taken in the low 20s, or around 18-19 at best (but likely 20+).
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • MASTER OF PANIC

Is he really going that high? I figured it's more likely he's taken in the low 20s, or around 18-19 at best (but likely 20+).

Think he is in the 15-27 range. 16 would be ideal because the Suns have a second pick there and might be willing to move back to 27 as well as some other considerations. I think Divincinzo is going to be a top 10 player in this draft.

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I kinda doubt that Rozier + SAC 19 + LAC 1st + #27 gets you in the top 10 of the draft.  Teams with top 10 picks are loathe to give that up for less than established All-Star value.  The Bulls had to trade Jimmy Butler and another 1st rounder to get the #7 pick last year.

What are the chances a pick in the 6-10 range yields a player whose production is worth more than Rozier + multiple 1st rounders including the SAC 19 pick?
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
I kinda doubt that Rozier + SAC 19 + LAC 1st + #27 gets you in the top 10 of the draft.  Teams with top 10 picks are loathe to give that up for less than established All-Star value.  The Bulls had to trade Jimmy Butler and another 1st rounder to get the #7 pick last year.

What are the chances a pick in the 6-10 range yields a player whose production is worth more than Rozier + multiple 1st rounders including the SAC 19 pick?
the sac pick has potential to be an all star. I Don't see why the team at pick 10 , where the vonlehs and Doug McDermotts and Austin rivers of the world get picked, wouldn't consider that treasure chest

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • MASTER OF PANIC

I only give that up if it gets them up to get Doncic. I am not moving all that just to get lower top 10. Make a small move up or stand pat.

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Aren't we always trying to get into the top 10 around this time? When we don't already have a top 10 pick of course.

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I think once you're out of the top Tier of prospects you get those sort of trades. Look at the McDermott trade that Chicago did with Denver for example.

If the Sacramento pick is on the table I think its very possible, if you don't like the 8th prospect of this draft you get another shot next year in the lottery and some extras.

I really don't see it coming together though.

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Aren't we always trying to get into the top 10 around this time? When we don't already have a top 10 pick of course.

It did seem to be a common theme the pre BKN pick years.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Ainge is just securing potential deals if Doncic falls.

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
Doncic falling doesn't lower his value. Even if doncic falls to 10, its still doncic. It doesn't move his value from kyrie level to marcus smart level

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

When we are outside the top 10 we are trying to move into it, when we are in the top 10 we are trying to trade up all the way to #1...and when we are #1, we are trying to trade down.

I think that about covers it.