Author Topic: Should we be interested in a different Philly big?  (Read 2700 times)

Should we be interested in a different Philly big?
« on: January 27, 2017, 05:46:40 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I can't count the number of threads on Noel, and Okafor is sometimes seen as the alternative big in whom we should be interested.  But should we instead be looking closer at Richaun Holmes?

His OREB%, DREB%,and Block% are all right there with Noel this season:

9.6% to 10.9%
19.6% to 20.4%
4.2% to 3.9%

He can maybe shoot the 3 (36% on limited attempts this year, 24% for his career.)

He's an inch or so shorter (depending on shoe thickness), but has a 7'2" wingspan that helps him player longer than his listed 6'10" (his standing reach is 9'0".)

He's only 6 months older.

And he's signed to a minimum-salary deal for the next 2.5 seasons, which means you don't have to worry about paying him any time soon.  I'd say Noel is probably the better player, but Holmes has a much better contract, and his 3-point range could even make him the better fit.  He's completely buried on Philly's roster, and should be available.

I know Holmes has been mentioned occasionally on the board, but what would you trade for him?  I'd send Jackson and the 2019 Clippers pick, myself.

Re: Should we be interested in a different Philly big?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2017, 05:57:17 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2986
I don't see why he'd be available, though. Noel is available due to his contract situation and the fact that he's clearly a starter-level player and not a long-term backup.

Holmes, on the other hand, is locked up on an excellent contract for several more years, and he projects to be a good Embiid backup for them long-term.

I just don't see the incentive to trade him for Philly, especially for that package. Instead of keeping Noel and committing nearly half of their cap to the center position, they could keep Holmes for that reason with only a minor drop off in production compared to their prices.

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2017, 06:03:36 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
I don't see why he'd be available, though. Noel is available due to his contract situation and the fact that he's clearly a starter-level player and not a long-term backup.

Holmes, on the other hand, is locked up on an excellent contract for several more years, and he projects to be a good Embiid backup for them long-term.

I just don't see the incentive to trade him for Philly, especially for that package. Instead of keeping Noel and committing nearly half of their cap to the center position, they could keep Holmes for that reason with only a minor drop off in production compared to their prices.

They need to trade a big.  Probably two, but certainly one.  If teams aren't interested in Noel because he'll be a free agent, and Okafor because he's not very good, maybe Holmes should be the one to go.  They're probably worth a similar amount to Philly (in that none are good enough to start ahead of Embiid, and none play on the court the same time as him).

What do you think is a reasonable offer for Holmes?  I think a prospect PG (also under a good contract with even more years of team control) and a lotto-protected 1st make sense.

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2017, 06:34:49 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 561
I like Holmes.  I wanted him instead of Mickey.  However, he's got a long way to go before he sniffs being a starter.  His offense is pretty good.  His rebounding has improved this year but it is still mediocre at best.  He makes some highlight defensive plays but his fundamental defense needs a lot of work. 

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2017, 06:41:19 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
I would love to see him on the Celtics, been throwing his name around here and there, but no one really knows about him. He would probably be an immediate replacement for Amir

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2017, 06:42:57 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2986

They need to trade a big.  Probably two, but certainly one.  If teams aren't interested in Noel because he'll be a free agent, and Okafor because he's not very good, maybe Holmes should be the one to go.  They're probably worth a similar amount to Philly (in that none are good enough to start ahead of Embiid, and none play on the court the same time as him).

What do you think is a reasonable offer for Holmes?  I think a prospect PG (also under a good contract with even more years of team control) and a lotto-protected 1st make sense.

It's not necessarily about a reasonable offer for him. I think your offer was certainly reasonable and good value for him.

I just don't see the need for them to trade him with his contract and context, which makes him much more valuable to them than around the league. I think Crowder is in a similar situation with us with his excellent contract.

And I think there is certainly interest in Noel around the league, though obviously not as much as the Sixers would want.

To me, the smart thing to do would be to keep Holmes and integrate him and Okafor as the primary backups at the center position, because I'd trade Noel for as much as possible. Even if Holmes end up playing excellent ball as a backup center to Embiid, I don't think he'll command anywhere near the money that Noel will this summer. So I just think it makes sense for them to keep him and utilize him as their backup C, which will keep their cap in good condition rather than tying up so much money at the C position in Embiid and Noel.

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2017, 12:12:44 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
I suspect Philly views Holmes as a backup 4-5. Their dilemma right now is they have Simmons coming back soon, and they have three centers who can only play center--Embiid, Okafor and Noel. Embiid is their franchise right now. The other two are expendable. 

The last week of the trade deadline should be very interesting. I suspect things will suddenly happen that were unexpected. You have to figure Noel or Okafor will be gone for whatever they can get. Especially backcourt help. I'll say the same thing about Melo, too. I think Jackson would take a low no.1 and expiring contracts for Anthony right now.

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2017, 12:24:07 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
They need to deal Okafor.

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2017, 12:26:44 PM »

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.
They are going to lose Nerlens, that's pretty much a given. Some team is going to force them to decide between their capspace or choosing to continue to ruin a young man's career.

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2017, 12:55:27 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
@saltlover

this is a really interesting idea.

I also would like to discuss some prospects other than DMC, Butler, Hayward- nothing wrong with them but we keep coming to the same topics.

Other than the measures you give in the OP, have you watched him play? What does the eye test suggest?

I only saw him in that summer league game and he looked good, but summer league does not count for much.

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2017, 01:08:46 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
@saltlover

this is a really interesting idea.

I also would like to discuss some prospects other than DMC, Butler, Hayward- nothing wrong with them but we keep coming to the same topics.

Other than the measures you give in the OP, have you watched him play? What does the eye test suggest?

I only saw him in that summer league game and he looked good, but summer league does not count for much.

I haven't seen him that much, to be honest.  It's tough watching Philly on so many levels.  What I've seen makes me think he's what we hoped Jordan Mickey could be -- he's not starter material, but he could be a viable reserve, both this year and going forward.  If Zizic and/or Yab passed him on the depth chart, that's fine.  And if they're not ready, it would be a cheap option for the rotation, enabling us to spend cap dollars elsewhere.

I don't think he's a building block for any franchise, but he could be a quality role player.  Acquiring him wouldn't foreclose any other options for trades.

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2017, 01:25:40 PM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33
They need to deal Okafor.

They need to deal Noel and Okafor, but according the Philly Okafor's knee is bothering him and he's out of shape again...  That's why they're going to keep Holmes.  He's the perfect backup. 

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2017, 03:02:15 PM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
Brett Brown is quite big on Holmes I believe, and given his contract I don't see a desire to move on from him. Perhaps right at the deadline if they are struggling to move one of the others..