Author Topic: Reasonable Glen Davis S&T Ideas.  (Read 15408 times)

Re: Reasonable Glen Davis S&T Ideas.
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2011, 09:30:01 AM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
He hasnt been the same player since the "patella tendon strain"
on the first week of March.
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/03/03/celtics-glen-davis-suffers-patella-tendon-strain-mri-thursday/

He hasnt had the same lift he had previously.Baby is already undersized, Baby with no lift is just ineffective.He will be resigned at a minimal cost, you dont trade players when there value is at a all-time low.

Injuries don't account for his p----poor decision making.  I think he's under the impression that they give more points for shots with a high degree of difficulty.  

And has been noted, little chance of a S&T because at this point, Baby's a fringe rotation player that'll be lucky to get a multiyear contract offer.  I was thinking earlier he'd command something like 3/$10M-$12M (Ryan Gomes-like money); I'm wondering now if it'll be even that much.  

Ryan Gomes makes that kind of money!?!?!?!?! HOLY SCHNIKIES

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2011, 10:02:20 AM »

Offline snowball

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 47
The odds of a sign and trade involving BBD are very low and the odds of getting something of significance are even lower again.

Davis is unrestricted free agent who will command less than the MLE. Any team in the league can sign him outright without costing themselves an additional asset (in a sign and trade). The Celtics have no leverage here. And BBD doesn't have all that much value individually either.

Best to assume there will be no S+T for Big Baby.

which is fine. just let him go.
we do not want this guy anymore.
if he can't keep himself in athletic shape
for the NBA playoffs at this young age
he'll never be able to do it 2-3 years from now.
there are handfuls of average NBA players who
can more adequately fill the spot.

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2011, 10:06:44 AM »

Offline Spilling Green Dye

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 115
Under current CBA spending Glen would not get the MLE from anyone.  And since the new CBA is projecting lower player salaries, that pretty much guarantees he won't be anywhere close.

At this point I think if we could somehow get a 2nd round draft pick for him that'd be ideal. 

What!? he's worth more than that! for gods sake!
Give the guy some credibility!

If you were a GM on another team, and Glen Davis was unrestricted, why would you even do a S&T instead of sign him outright?  And if you had to give up a little bit just for the comfort of knowing you got him, what level draft pick would you be willing to give?

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2011, 10:24:18 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
I can't believe how undervalued BBD is by people on this board.
The guy was a candidate for 6th man of the year for much of this season.
He has played through multiple injuries and had a TERRIBLE end of regular season+post season, everyone accepts this...

BUT there is no way he is worth only a 2nd round draft pick.
The guy was number 1 in charges taken for a long time and in the running for 6th man of the year- and has been for the last 2 years.

If he loses a good 20-25 pounds and get's his nagging injuries straight he will be soooo gravy for us off the bench.

he's been garbage lately but please consider his overall journey and development and what he could return to if he works hard in the off season.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2011, 10:26:54 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I would like to see them work something out with NOH for Carl Landry.  Not sure how it matches up, but they were interested him in the past, and he has some draw since he is from the area. 

« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2011, 10:29:07 AM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
I would like to see them work something out with NOH for Carl Landry.  Not sure how it matches up, but they were interested him in the past, and he has some draw since he is from the area. 

We'd be lucky to get *Marcus* Landry back for Baby Davis...    ;D

« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2011, 10:33:52 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
He has played through multiple injuries and had a TERRIBLE end of regular season+post season, everyone accepts this...

The guy was number 1 in charges taken for a long time and in the running for 6th man of the year- and has been for the last 2 years.

If he loses a good 20-25 pounds and get's his nagging injuries straight he will be soooo gravy for us off the bench.

he's been garbage lately but please consider his overall journey and development and what he could return to if he works hard in the off season.

The NBA is very much a "what have you done for me lately" league when it comes to giving out contracts, unless we're talking about players who seem to have a lot of potential.  Baby has not done very much lately and he doesn't seem to have very much potential.

Not only that, but even at his best Big Baby is an undersized PF who does not rebound well and has trouble scoring inside against long, athletic defenders.  He's always been an inefficient scorer, even at this best.  Yes, he takes charges and makes good defensive rotations within the Celtics' system, but he's clearly not starter material even in the best of circumstances, and he's a liability against starter quality players on both ends of the court.

Don't get me wrong, when he's on his game Glen does have value, but only when he stays within his role and he's on a team that knows how to utilize him effectively.  This makes him limited, and thus his value is similarly limited.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2011, 10:34:47 AM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
If Baby loses 20-25 lbs? Wishful thinking. If he were ever going to do that, he probably would have by now. I keep saying, if Shaq lost 35-40 lbs he'd be able to give us one more quality season. . . . but that's not likely to happen either.

« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2011, 10:39:15 AM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
If Baby loses 20-25 lbs? Wishful thinking. If he were ever going to do that, he probably would have by now. I keep saying, if Shaq lost 35-40 lbs he'd be able to give us one more quality season. . . . but that's not likely to happen either.

True that.  If a guy's not keeping himself in the best shape he can during this season, when's the going to?  I mean, this year was likely Baby's best opportunity to win another Championship, *and* he's an unrestricted free agent.  If those two factors aren't enough motivation, what is?

If I'm another GM, I'd REALLY hesitate to offer a multiyear deal.  Baby Davis is about three Royales With Cheese away from being Oliver Miller II, or Mike Sweetney Jr, or any of the other talented big men who've eaten their way out of the league.  Thank God he doesn't have a three pointer or the
Antoine comparisons would be deafening.

« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2011, 02:23:47 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
Who's got any? Let's get them up in here!

Andre Blatche?

Ron Artest? (Lakers don't want Glen, they've used him)

Marvin Williams?

Nick Young?

Deandre Jordan?

Ron Artest = subtraction by addition.

Glen Davis leaving = addition by subtraction

So maybe it'd be perfect.

« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2011, 02:28:44 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
I say bring him back. Extend his contract for one more year.

He can only improve his trade value. At worst, he becomes a $3 million expiring contract to move at the deadline.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2011, 02:29:42 PM »

Offline dlpin

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 183

It's not about being undervalued. But do you really think that BBD will command more than the MLE in an open market? Because that is the only scenario a S&T would happen. Almost all teams can sign players to an MLE straight up, so no need for sign and trades there.

« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2011, 02:45:10 PM »

Offline stylo617617

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 33
well if it wasnt for memphis' emergance with the help of guys like oj mayo & darell arthur we probbaly would have signed glen then traded him for oj mayo straight up but at this point arthur is plying better than glen & even tho oj mayo is still going to br tarded at some point the grizzly bears have no need for glen it would have to be with a team that is lacking at the PF position & that wnats to get younger only team i think of is indiana but we dont really want any1 on that roster asides from danny granger lol

so to the point.. i predict him simply walking though i hope not

« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2011, 03:32:11 PM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 574

True that.  If a guy's not keeping himself in the best shape he can during this season, when's the going to?  I mean, this year was likely Baby's best opportunity to win another Championship, *and* he's an unrestricted free agent.  If those two factors aren't enough motivation, what is?

If I'm another GM, I'd REALLY hesitate to offer a multiyear deal.  Baby Davis is about three Royales With Cheese away from being Oliver Miller II, or Mike Sweetney Jr, or any of the other talented big men who've eaten their way out of the league.  Thank God he doesn't have a three pointer or the

To be honest, I'm not so sure you could get three Royales with cheese (whatever those are) for him at this point.

As has been pointed out already, he had all the reasons in the world to have a big season, which it looked like he might have for the first half of the year. Than he got fat and lazy. Stopped doing the things he did well, like bring some energy, hit the boards, set screen, draw charges, etc and now looks like a clown out there flopping around on the floor half the time.

If I'm a GM I would assume that if being a free agent after this season and being on a team that has an excellent chance to win it all wasn't motivation, I can't imagine what he'd be like if he had a big contract. I've said it before and I'll say it again, he is just too emotionally immature to be a force in this league.

« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2011, 03:39:11 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280

To be honest, I'm not so sure you could get three Royales with cheese (whatever those are) for him at this point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLtwFugudZE