Author Topic: The "instant reload" trade scenario...  (Read 4498 times)

The "instant reload" trade scenario...
« on: May 10, 2011, 10:22:36 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
First deal:

Boston trades:  Rajon Rondo, Jeff Green (S&T), Clippers pick
New Orleans trades:  Chris Paul, Carl Landry (S&T)

Second deal:

Boston trades:  Ray Allen, Avery Bradley, Nenad Krstic (S&T), 2011 #1 pick, 2013 #1, Minnesota #2
Philadelphia trades:  Andre Iguodala, Spencer Hawes (S&T)

Then, we spend the MLE signing either Battier or Tayshaun Prince to play backup SF.

Yes, it would be complicated, and yes, it's a pipe dream, but hey, a guy can hope, right?

Our new lineup:

C:  J.O. / Shaq / Hawes
PF: KG / Landry
SF: Pierce / Prince
SG: Iggy
PG: CP3 / Delonte

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: The "instant reload" trade scenario...
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 10:29:14 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
I'd be down with that, although I think we'd end up relying on Spencer Hawes a lot to man the center position. 

You could do worse than CP3 / Iggy / Landry as a core group moving forward.  Still need a legitimate center, but you could perhaps get one in free agency.

As you said, though -- it's more or less a pipe dream.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 10:31:31 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
First deal:

Second deal:

Boston trades:  Ray Allen, Avery Bradley, Nenad Krstic (S&T), 2011 #1 pick, 2013 #1, Minnesota #2

Then, we spend the MLE signing either Battier or Tayshaun Prince to play backup SF.

Yes, it would be complicated, and yes, it's a pipe dream, but hey, a guy can hope, right?

Our new lineup:

Roy I like where your head is at. I'm pretty sure these are fair deals for both teams (NO would have reservations about getting rid of CP3 but if they think he would move anyway maybe they would and Philly might have reservations about dealing Iggy in the division but then they'd realize how much they'd save with this deal).

Also I would be pretty surprised if Shaq doesn't retire after this year.

Problems with the trade:
1. Does CP3 just bolt after playing for us for a year?
2. If he bolts we are essentially left without much considering we've traded all our young pieces and draft picks.

DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 10:34:34 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
First deal:

Second deal:

Our new lineup:

Roy I like where your head is at. I'm pretty sure these are fair deals for both teams (NO would have reservations about getting rid of CP3 but if they think he would move anyway maybe they would and Philly might have reservations about dealing Iggy in the division but then they'd realize how much they'd save with this deal).

Problems with the trade:
2. If he bolts we are essentially left without much considering we've traded all our young pieces and draft picks.

I'm sure the trade would be made with the understanding that CP3 would sign a contract extension.  I'm pretty sure he's never had a teammate as good as Iggy, so he'd have to feel fairly good about upping with us moving forward.

p.s. does creating trade scenarios like this count as "bargaining" in the stages of grief?
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 10:54:07 AM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
I love the first deal, uncertain about the second. I think that Iggy doesn't give us the shooting we need. But CP3 would help our team win now. NO almost beat the Lakers with no one on their team.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 11:08:06 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I love the first deal, uncertain about the second. I think that Iggy doesn't give us the shooting we need. But CP3 would help our team win now. NO almost beat the Lakers with no one on their team.

Iggy's shooting is pretty mediocre, but the combination of CP3 + Iggy would be a net upgrade over Rondo + Ray in the shooting department, in my opinion.  Plus, the Iggy deal would make us younger, faster, more athletic, bigger, deeper (since Iggy can play SF), better defensively, and better passing.

A backcourt of Iggy + Rondo might not work out great, but I think putting him next to CP3 would.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 11:13:45 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
First deal:

Second deal:

Our new lineup:

I love it...  I'm NOT for blowing it up unless the right deal presents itself but this is exactly the type of deal we would need to pull the trigger on. Especially the first one which is more realistic in my opinion. I believe Philly will want instant cap room.

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2011, 11:14:15 AM »

Offline prov1ml34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 68
I would love this idea if we could plug someone else in for Jeff Green in the NO trade. I think he can be a foundation builder moving forward with this team. He is fast and athletic and would fit in well with Iggy and CP3
DKC Dallas Mavericks                         
PG: Darren Collison
SG: OJ Mayo
SF: Jae Crowder
PF: Dirk Nowitzki/Jackie Carmichael
C: Brandan Wright/Rudy Gobert
Coach - Rick Carlisle

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2011, 11:23:10 AM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923
How would this affect our salary cap situation when KG comes off the books.  Would there still be enough to give Howard some type of competitive offer.  I have a feeling he'd be more apt to come to Boston is we did trade Rondo for CP3

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2011, 11:26:03 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
How would this affect our salary cap situation when KG comes off the books.  Would there still be enough to give Howard some type of competitive offer.  I have a feeling he'd be more apt to come to Boston is we did trade Rondo for CP3

If we pull off trade #1 and not #2 then the cap room would still be there. Iggy eats it up otherwise.

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2011, 11:32:46 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
First deal, yes.

Sign Paul to an extension.

Let him convince the other stars to come to Boston to play with him Pierce and KG. 

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2011, 11:41:23 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2409
First deal:

Second deal:

Our new lineup:

Problems with the trade:

I'm sure the trade would be made with the understanding that CP3 would sign a contract extension.  I'm pretty sure he's never had a teammate as good as Iggy, so he'd have to feel fairly good about upping with us moving forward.

p.s. does creating trade scenarios like this count as "bargaining" in the stages of grief?
I'm not so sure Chris Paul signs an extension here. I don't think Iggy is a big enough chip to guarantee his signature.

But anyway, the deal won't be made if he doesn't agree to a contract extension prior to the trade.

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2011, 11:47:53 AM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
First deal:

Second deal:

Our new lineup:

I'd add in a S+T of Baby for Ariza's contract to tempt NO more. Baby is from Louisiana (can't hurt) and if NO trades Paul they will want to dump salary. Might have to consider adding in KG for Okafor... Maybe KG is bought out.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2011, 11:48:17 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I agree that the #1 dream scenario this summer would be a Rondo/Paul trade.  And honestly, I would make the deal even if Paul won't sign an extension, just because I think it gives us a significantly better chance at one more title next year, and then we can re-evaluate in 2012 if Paul decides to walk (or is sign and traded).

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2011, 11:48:21 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I am against the 2nd move.