Author Topic: Pierce and three number one picks for Carmelo.  (Read 14691 times)

Pierce and three number one picks for Carmelo.
« on: August 17, 2010, 05:58:27 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Does Pierce have a no trade? If not, Pierce has a reasonable contract. The Nuggets would still be pretty good over the next three years, while they would have six first rounders in three years to be able to revamp that old team.

For us we get what we really need. A twenty six year old superstar. Rondo and Carmelo would be spectacular together.
 And Ray, Kevin, Jermaine, Shaq, Nate, Baby, and eventually Perk.
 We would be the favorites no question next year. I love Pierce but to get Melo, Gotta do it.

Re: Pierce and three number one picks for Carmelo.
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 06:02:52 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
If Melo is willing to sign a long-term contract extension, why not?  And by long-term I mean at least 5 years.  I don't think either Melo or Denver would go along, though.

Mike

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 06:04:43 PM »

Offline Harris34

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 4
Pierce needs to retire in green, that's just my opinion.

But to your trade scenario, I believe you cannot trade consecutive first round picks. So they wouldn't be able to trade the next 3 first rounders, it would have to be every other year for the next 6 years, which the Nuggets wouldn't do (I don't think the C's would either. Who knows what is going to happen in 6 years in terms of free agents, rookies, and other things that can happen).

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 06:05:04 PM »

Offline Assassin70

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 164

Does Pierce have a no trade? If not, Pierce has a reasonable contract. The Nuggets would still be pretty good over the next three years, while they would have six first rounders in three years to be able to revamp that old team.

For us we get what we really need. A twenty six year old superstar. Rondo and Carmelo would be spectacular together.
 We would be the favorites no question next year. I love Pierce but to get Melo, Gotta do it.

No

And if you cant get Melo to sign an ext then you traded away one of my favorite players and a great Celtic for what?
"The only correct actions are those that demand no explanation and no apology."

Red Auerbach

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 06:07:45 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

Come on, you only do it if an extension is in place.

Remember The Kevin Garnett Trade.

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2010, 06:17:10 PM »

Offline FatjohnReturns

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 120
This would never happen. I got better odds to win the world series of poker. First what is Denvers motivation? Even if you could do 3 consecutive number #1's which you can't. With a stacked team with Melo what are those number #1's worth?

The only player Denver would give up Melo for is Rondo. So would you trade Rondo+ someone for Melo at a max contract?

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2010, 06:21:21 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
for Paul and three #1's? No way. The current lineup is good enough to contend for the next 2 years, and trading Pierce for Melo could screw up chemistry some. Most importantly, although getting Melo helps a lot to rebuild around Rondo, giving away three #1's kills our chances of rebuilding enough to make a perennial contender. Rondo and Melo is not enough IMO to beat the miami trio, we need an all-star big man as well, and without picks to trade, we won't get him. That is unless they are confident that they can sign Dwight Howard though, then I would do it.

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2010, 06:29:49 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
@ KG Living Legend, I respect you. But this is an insult to Paul Pierce. And 3 1st round picks for Melo, Are you kidding me? Cleveland got 2 1st round picks for Lebron. And Melo is no Lebron.

By the way, Chauncey Billups is Denver's MVP not Melo.

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2010, 06:31:11 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

Can't believe anyone would argue that were not better with Carmelo next year or over the next three years.

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2010, 06:33:41 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
No thanks..it looks good on paper, but I cannot do this. Carmelo seems to need the ball in his hands a lot, which isn't a bad thing on the right team, but for us?

I'll take Captain Truth.

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2010, 06:34:50 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
I'd rather not. I'm not sold on Carmelo as a superstar player. Right now he is definitely a tier above Pierce, but he's still a tier below Lebron, Wade, Howard, Kobe etc. He's a very good scorer, and a good rebounder, but IMO he isn't a real game changer. It also doesn't help that I think he's a ball-hog who's scoring isn't always indicative of good play.

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2010, 06:47:16 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

I agree with you about his scoring and Lack of being a real Pro's pro like Pierce IS. However I disagree about his Superstar Status.

Really the main benefit for me is. What Pierce use to dominate in, Which is fourth quarter down the stretch Killer offense.

You would really see how good he is with the game on the line with the Celts. Trust me about that, he is a lethal scorer at any point in the game, A stronger, quicker, Beast in the paint.

He kills Lebron in any post up situations, has a better shot than Lebron, and is just a more natural scorer than Lebron.

That doesn't make Melo better than Bron, but down the stretch no question I take Melo. That's why Bron will be a such a great fit in Miami Because he gets to play with one of the only two guys I'll take down the stretch over Carmelo.

Dwayne Wade, And Kobe.

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2010, 07:01:54 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2526
I'd rather not. I'm not sold on Carmelo as a superstar player. Right now he is definitely a tier above Pierce, but he's still a tier below Lebron, Wade, Howard, Kobe etc. He's a very good scorer, and a good rebounder, but IMO he isn't a real game changer. It also doesn't help that I think he's a ball-hog who's scoring isn't always indicative of good play.

I think you've got the right idea as to how to assess this.  If you see Carmelo in the league of the elite (and you named them), then you sell your soul to get him.  That's the way the NBA works -- megastars win.  If you think he's a tier below the elite -- the upgrade is only marginal and too risky to mess with something you know works.

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2010, 07:59:18 PM »

Offline Carhole

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 63

My biggest question is why would melo and rajon be "spectacular together". I feel like this is a common mistake assuming two good/great players will make each other better because they line up together. Great iso wings are almost never paired with ball control point guards. They are paired with off ball players who can shoot

Kobe - Fisher
Lebron (last year) Mo Will
Wade - every point guard they ever paired him with including old gary payton
Jordan - Paxson, Kerr, Armstrong

Melo is a better iso scorer than PP at this age but he is not a better team player or fit for this particular roster imo

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2010, 08:07:57 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
Melo don't want Boston.