Author Topic: Why do they all seem to fail here?  (Read 4804 times)

Why do they all seem to fail here?
« on: April 09, 2010, 01:02:37 PM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 574
So now it's Robinson. Last year it was Marbury and Cassell the year before. It seems like every year the Celtics bring in a veteran point guard and they get benched, or are of little or no use here. This is a real question. Why do you think it keeps happening? Is it that hard a system to pick up? I know Finley has worked out okay, but he's not a point and he pretty much only shoots jump shots. Why can't these other kind of guys who are they thought could create their own shot, and bring scoring off the bench not work out? And if that kind of player can't fit in here, how come they keep signing them.
Thank you for helping me understand.

Re: Why do they all seem to fail here?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 01:11:41 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
I'm sorry, but I didn't know Nate had "failed", in fact, I think he's become a great addition ... am I missing something?!?
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 01:14:36 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
I'm sorry, but I didn't know Nate had "failed", in fact, I think he's become a great addition ... am I missing something?!?

Yeah, a clue! BUUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRNNNNNNNNNNNN!

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 01:18:39 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

He has "failed" as a fit because he is out of the rotation. 

Cassell was a win to me.  He provided games in playoffs where he helped the Celtics win.

Marbury stunk as a Celtic.

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2010, 01:18:52 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu

Thanks.

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2010, 01:29:04 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I think it's more than just the PG situation.  it's almost everyone Danny has brought in since the Ray/KG trades.

The only players that have really worked out were Posey, PJ (marginally--yes, a big shot at a key time but there were a number of games he didn't do a lot), House (for a limited time), TA (for part of this year) and Finley.

There have been a lot more busts than contributors: Sheed, Daniels, POB, Pollard, House (this year), TA (last year), BBD (this year--I count this year since he's no longer on a rookie contract), Giddens/Walker (even on rookie contracts I'm including them and I don't think they got a fair shake from Doc, they still didn't contribute), Landry, Nate, Cassell, Marbury and Mikki "Don't come around here no" Moore. 

Shelden's in nowhere land.  doesn't see much time, not spectacular when he does play but what do you expect for a vet min player.  Scal sadly gets a pass since he pre-dates those trades.

The question is, is it Danny's fault that he's not evaluating talent very well OR is it Doc's fault for not getting the players in a position to contribute OR both?

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2010, 01:33:37 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu

He has "failed" as a fit because he is out of the rotation. 

Cassell was a win to me.  He provided games in playoffs where he helped the Celtics win.

Marbury stunk as a Celtic.

I hadn't heard he was out of the rotation ... thank you for explaining and not being rude. (TP)

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2010, 01:39:03 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Put simply?  They aren't that good, and you get what you pay for. 

Cassell was on his last legs, and was no longer a consistent player.

Marbury hadn't played in like a year, and was already declining on the knicks.

Nate is what he is...a streaky scorer who looks amazing when he is hot, and terrible when he's not.

Sheed is old, plain and simple.

Williams has been much more here than he ever was anywhere else.

Tony Allen is just a bad fit, because he has struggle playing the role they ask of him.

Daniels just was an up and down player his whole career, and his lack of shooting hurt him in the role they asked of him once Nate showed up...and the injuries didn't help, just like in Dallas and Indy.

The fact is, consistent, talented players are hard to come by in the NBA if all you don't have trade assets and/or cap room, which the C's have not had.  You have to try to make do with flawed players.

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2010, 01:46:33 PM »

Offline 35Lewis

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 42
Nate isn't going to be the same player on this team as he was for New York.  Most players don't receive the same role on different teams which is one of the reasons Pierce decided staying wasn't such a bad idea a couple of years ago.

One of the reasons I feel Nate has been set up for failure is the lack in consistent direction that he is being given and the lack of knowledge about what kind of game he has.  If he was supposed to be Eddie's actual replacement then Doc should have him enter the game as more of 2 guard and come off screens to score.  Instead Doc wants to use Nate as a point and this isn't playing to Nate's strength.

Another reason I feel Nate isn't doing well is because he is a free agent at the end of the year and he is trying to do the exact opposite of what got him notoriety in New York.  His strength is in his attitude and energy and that has to be part of his game much the same way that it is part of KG's game.

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2010, 01:55:28 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
Nate isn't going to be the same player on this team as he was for New York.  Most players don't receive the same role on different teams which is one of the reasons Pierce decided staying wasn't such a bad idea a couple of years ago.

One of the reasons I feel Nate has been set up for failure is the lack in consistent direction that he is being given and the lack of knowledge about what kind of game he has.  If he was supposed to be Eddie's actual replacement then Doc should have him enter the game as more of 2 guard and come off screens to score.  Instead Doc wants to use Nate as a point and this isn't playing to Nate's strength.

Another reason I feel Nate isn't doing well is because he is a free agent at the end of the year and he is trying to do the exact opposite of what got him notoriety in New York.  His strength is in his attitude and energy and that has to be part of his game much the same way that it is part of KG's game.

Eh, I think he is just an inconsistent player.  Yeah, he is not completely comfortable yet either, but he had these same types of stretches with the Knicks.

I think they have him in the perfect role for his skillset.  He is NOT like Eddie House, because Nate is actually a better shooter off the dribble, than as a catch and shoot guy.  He needs to have the ball in his hands, and creating pull-up jumpers and shots coming off screens. 

He has struggled because he has gone through stretches where he stopped looking for those shots, or just went cold. 

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2010, 01:57:22 PM »

Offline Eeyore III

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 48
If TA can do the things he does and "succeed" here (at least this year), I don't see why Daniels couldn't do those same things, and more, and succeed also. 

I guess that while I agree with most of the individual explanations Chris gives, I think that there is more going on than just a bunch of individual failures.  I tend not to blame Danny's talent evaluation, but if anything perhaps Doc's coaching, or some as-yet-unidentified third factor.
"People don't understand, if you can't live the rest of your life off one year in the NBA, you can't live off 21." -- Keon Clark

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2010, 02:00:02 PM »

Offline Spicoli

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
I thought Cassell was an enormous chucker as a Celtic, and Marbury was the opposite of that, afraid to shoot the ball. Mikki Moore flat out sucked, and so did POB. I like Nate though. He just needs to get comfortable and get a little more PT.

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2010, 02:01:22 PM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 574

So why does Danny go out and trade for him if he can't fill a role here? I can sort of see guys he signed during the off season not working out, but he brought him in to fill a role after watching this team for half a season. So I guess my question is he a bad evaluator of players or is Doc not very good at intergading him?

Again it's very simular to bringing in Marbury last year, and I believe Cassell the year before.

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2010, 02:12:40 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
I will say right now, that I believe strongly that Nate will have at least one great game in the playoffs, where he will get hot, and really help the team win.  And really, I don't know if you can really expect much more from someone like him.

Ultimately, I think the problem isn't the players, it is the expectations some people have of them.

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2010, 02:14:05 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830

Thanks.

Sarcasm is difficult to convey over the internet.