Author Topic: Every play should work off Ray Allen, tired of the Pierce ISO's  (Read 7092 times)

Re: Every play should work off Ray Allen, tired of the Pierce ISO's
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2010, 09:38:06 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I am a big believer of having all the way to score in the back pocket at the end of games. 

I hate have a go to style that the Celtics seem to have.

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2010, 10:10:31 AM »

Offline chelsearules

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 12
no mo' iso's

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2010, 10:15:20 AM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
I am pretty sure we do try to run Ray off of screens a number of times during the game.

The problem is, he is covered and Rondo ends up dribbling and having to shoot a long contested jumper as the shot clock expires.

Pierce's Iso's work a lot better because he has a chance to score, a chance to make a play for others, and a chance to get to the line.

A Ray Allen screen is just an open jumper.

KG down on the box is just a fall away jumper. (Teams do not double KG anymore, that time is over).

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2010, 10:15:53 AM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
The Pierce isos have been awful all season long and you could think Doc would get away from it now but of course he doesn't. This is indeed so frustrating and awful to watch because we know it will result in a turnover or a terrible shot.

I would like Ray to have the ball more in these situations, but my first option would be to let Rondo do his job and find an open man or score by himself. I guess it's too late to experiment it but I would have loved to see that play develop during the season, building Rondo's confidence in late games situations and giving us a better "classic" play to use when we need a clutch bucket.

I don't understand why Doc doesn't draw up more "excellent late games situations offensive plays" for his team, this is supposed to be his biggest quality as a coach.

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2010, 10:27:21 AM »

Offline jpd985

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 41
The Pierce isos have been awful all season long and you could think Doc would get away from it now but of course he doesn't. This is indeed so frustrating and awful to watch because we know it will result in a turnover or a terrible shot.

I would like Ray to have the ball more in these situations, but my first option would be to let Rondo do his job and find an open man or score by himself. I guess it's too late to experiment it but I would have loved to see that play develop during the season, building Rondo's confidence in late games situations and giving us a better "classic" play to use when we need a clutch bucket.

I don't understand why Doc doesn't draw up more "excellent late games situations offensive plays" for his team, this is supposed to be his biggest quality as a coach.

It is time for him and Doc to realize he can't score on the isos as well as he used to. I would rather see a Ray screen or a Rondo pick and roll or just something different that doesn't depend on a Perk screen (No need for an offensive foul in that case).

« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2010, 10:48:08 AM »

Offline Meadowlark_Scal

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 670
  • You say when......
Darn I was just logging on to start this post....! YES, PP has to quit the "Paul Ball" he used to always do before the Big Three showed up, ball hog, Mr ALL ME, "watch me win this game" stuff, Paul, realize you are what...33..? Stop looking like Allen Iverson, this must be the rift that is going on in the locker room, Ray sitting up there waiting for that shot, instead the other team KNOWS that move, it is probably posted on the net by other teams fans, "Hey, watch when PP does this", see how easy they picked that pass off, there was 33 seconds left, give it to Ray, have perk and kg and pp go for the rebound, time to know your NEW role PP, be a team player, nothing wrong with getting older (and experienced) if you realize your new role, come-on Paul....! (we still love ya, but come-on)...

« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2010, 10:52:53 AM »

Offline Meadowlark_Scal

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • You say when......
Besids, in the knicks game there was 33 seconds left, he could have dribbled in, passed, then got it back in a better position....there isn't many guys left that can do those iso's at the end of the game anymore, and that wasn't even the end of the game...! The Celtics strong point is that THEY PASS and work the ball around for the right shot, besides that passing scrambles the D, so it will make for a more open rebound.......If you can't SKY and DUNK, then you can't iso, besdies PP missed 6 layups that game, you have to know when you are on, who on the team is hot...Ray or Finley should have been shooting there...!

« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2010, 10:58:15 AM »

Kiorrik

no mo' iso's
Well of course not. Mo is a Cavalier!

;)

« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2010, 10:59:56 AM »

Offline Meadowlark_Scal

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • You say when......
Who gave me that TP....hey man i had 69,,,the magic #...LOL...thanks for the TP.....by the end of the playoffs...I'll have the big 100...!

« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2010, 11:04:08 AM »

Offline connerhenry43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 163
I agree with the OP. I am a huge PP fan, but i want to puke when we come out of a timeout and that is the play we run. Has it worked even once this season in a big spot? pierce is still a great player, but i would like him taking advantage of the given matchup more, especially when he is posting up a smaller player.
"Maybe now you'll never slime a guy with a positron collider, huh?"

« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2010, 11:05:12 AM »

Offline chelsearules

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 12
Who gave me that TP....hey man i had 69,,,the magic #...LOL...thanks for the TP.....by the end of the playoffs...I'll have the big 100...!

oops my bad  did'nt know that was your lucky #

« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2010, 11:24:52 AM »

Offline Meadowlark_Scal

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • You say when......

oops my bad  did'nt know that was your lucky #

Haha, wish I had a lucky #, no way, I was just funnin about...THANKS for the TP, right back at ya...!

« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2010, 12:01:31 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
It doesn't take a genius to see that when we went into the post last night, they double teamed everyone 90% of the time(including Perk).  If you need open shots, go where you know they'll double team and then move the frickin' ball.  It ain't rocket science!  The Knicks defense sucks.

The real problem is, whenever we play defense on the other end and force a miss, we don't hustle to the rebound, box out, etc.  There is your 09-10 Celtics.

« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2010, 12:39:13 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
It doesn't take a genius to see that when we went into the post last night, they double teamed everyone 90% of the time(including Perk).  If you need open shots, go where you know they'll double team and then move the frickin' ball.  It ain't rocket science!  The Knicks defense sucks.

The real problem is, whenever we play defense on the other end and force a miss, we don't hustle to the rebound, box out, etc.  There is your 09-10 Celtics.

Settling for jump shots against the Knicks was unacceptable. The interior defense of the Knicks is horrible.

side note - David Lee may have nice stats, but if he is your best big man, you are not a good team.

« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2010, 01:11:16 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
Enough with this, enough with Pierce slow and clumsy iso plays, he cant do it anymore at a high level, run the play through Ray Allen for a shot and let the play run through that as a first option. Getting the ball down low isnt working anymore. Garnett cant jump. Rondo cant really shoot, or hesitates to much. What worked in 2007 08 isnt working now, the plays have to be tweaked

I have been saying this for years.  Great Post.  It drives me crazy.

The difference is in years past it was a money play.

But getting old sucks, and the team needs to adjust, via doc's playcalling. Paul can't dominate an iso the way he could in his prime anymore.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion