Author Topic: Red Sox Trade Betts + Price To The Dodgers  (Read 45165 times)

Re: Red Sox Trade Betts + Price To The Dodgers
« Reply #105 on: February 17, 2020, 01:03:28 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
I mean, you're not really helping yourself at all, John.   Just shut up.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #106 on: February 17, 2020, 01:16:29 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
He say he's Stan Musial and then tries to make the case for trading him?  :o

« Reply #107 on: February 17, 2020, 01:37:26 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
The Corpse of John Henry thinks he's smarter than everyone, and can explain away the poor financial decisions that forced him to trade Mookie.

Let's also just stop to consider that Nomar basically forced his way out of town by being injury prone and a whining baby who complained about being subbed out defensively. Meanwhile Mookie's last play was busting his butt on a single to score from first. Oh and Mookie is still in his prime and Nomar was definitely in his decline. But, hey. It sounds good so let's go with it!!

I agree with you, Donoghus. He needs to just shut up and let the results on the field do the talking.

« Reply #108 on: February 17, 2020, 01:55:24 PM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587

He’s so out of touch with the fan base... it’s insulting that he thinks we’re this stupid. Just further pushing me away from fandom until he sells the team.

« Reply #109 on: February 17, 2020, 02:19:09 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

He’s so out of touch with the fan base... it’s insulting that he thinks we’re this stupid. Just further pushing me away from fandom until he sells the team.

Particularly challenging = $75 million profit + ticket price increases

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #110 on: February 17, 2020, 02:50:07 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
John Henry's piece reeks of spin and some of his points are way off.

Nomar and Betts are far apart in their stardom. Nomar was very good but Betts is top 2. Big difference. It would have more been like trading Ortiz away. Can you imagine? Spin that.

Yes, we know you won 4 titles, we appreciate that. But that does not neglect the fact you just dumped a generational talent for a bag of peanuts to reset the tax and destroyed all hope of winning in 2020. When Nomar was traded in 04, it was to get to the Series, not run from it.

Still a bit confused and disgusted and this piece makes me more angry. I will not be subscribing to MLB this year and will not make any plans to attend any of the Sox games as well. Now of course, if they somehow shock the world and make it to the series, all bets are off! :)

« Reply #111 on: February 17, 2020, 04:04:15 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Eh, I'm not as angry as others. I guess I just really appreciate having won 4 WS titles over the last 15-16 years. That is just not something that happens to teams - BOS fans are really lucky.

I also like Mookie, but don't LOVE him as a player. I realize not everybody can be compared to Mike Trout, but the money Mookie is reportedly seeking is just outrageous. Paying anybody that kind of money over that period of time is risky. I understand ownership wanting to take a step back and re-group/re-tool. The team had a really off year last year - the same thing could have happened again with Mookie on the roster.

Also, Mookie is going to an incredible situation. While BOS fans are upset that we'll seemingly never pay big money for a big-time FA of our own again, future FAs can look at the fact that we sent him to a better team than he was currently on. It really doesn't hurt our image.

Don't get me wrong, it would have been great to keep him and money spent last off-season probably should never have been spent at all in anticipation of this move, but I just don't think it's as devastating as people are making it out to be. This ownership group saved this team and made them incredibly successful and I am sure they will spend money to make them successful in the future once again. We are a very fortunate fan base.

« Reply #112 on: February 17, 2020, 04:18:33 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I also like Mookie, but don't LOVE him as a player.

He’s the second best player in baseball, is elite offensively and defensively, steals bases, can hit anywhere in the lineup, is a great teammate and citizen, is durable, and has won a title.

By that standard, there’s never been a player on the Red Sox that you’ve loved.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #113 on: February 17, 2020, 04:28:10 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
If you're only willing to give a big FA contract to position player like Mike Trout, you're not willing to give it to anyone.

Mike Trout is Mickey Mantle of this generation. Not every generation even GETS a player as good as Trout/Mantle across the entire league.

You are really okay with your team just saying "we'll never sign a star position player to a FA contract?"

Are you really okay with them lying about the reasons? Because profit margins aren't mentioned in any of their BS.

« Reply #114 on: February 17, 2020, 04:33:36 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Not giving Jon Lester a deal just to save money looked ridiculously bad just a year or two after doing it. And, of course, what did they do after? They signed pitchers to long term, very expensive contracts that didn't turn out to be as good as Lester over that time period.

This non-signing/trade of Betts will make the non-signing of Lester look pathetic in no time whatsoever and do you know what will happen in a year or two? They will sign an inferior player to a long term, very expensive contract and that player will play worse over time than Mookie Betts.

Count on it!!!

The Sox ownership and management screwed the pooch on this one and no amount of horse manure that John Henry shovels and throws at my feet is going to make me feel differently or make me spend my time or money following the Sox for the next couple years, at the very least.

It's too bad all those season ticket holders can't get out of those tickets. Maybe a year or three with less than a million paid tickets might make John Henry not think of us fans as brainless sheep that just hand over our money and say thank you, no matter how poorly they treat us.

« Reply #115 on: February 17, 2020, 05:09:57 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #116 on: February 17, 2020, 09:29:58 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
And on the day where they hold a press conference + release the statement, another huge fan favorite in Brock Holt signs with the Brewers...  :(

That's a bummer. Loved Holt, and I highly doubt he was even going to be expensive. Plus our bench is putrid right now. Holt would have been such good depth all over the field.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #117 on: February 17, 2020, 09:31:39 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
And on the day where they hold a press conference + release the statement, another huge fan favorite in Brock Holt signs with the Brewers...  :(

That's a bummer. Loved Holt, and I highly doubt he was even going to be expensive. Plus our bench is putrid right now. Holt would have been such good depth all over the field.

It's okay, Phantom ... we've got Peraza! ;D
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #118 on: February 18, 2020, 12:53:53 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I saw on Twitter that ticket sales for next season are down 15% from last year.

That seems high.

Fans, the only way to express to the team how badly they've screwed up is to check out.  Don't give them your money.  Don't watch the team, don't read Globe articles about the team, don't go to the games.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #119 on: February 18, 2020, 02:13:42 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
I also like Mookie, but don't LOVE him as a player.

He’s the second best player in baseball, is elite offensively and defensively, steals bases, can hit anywhere in the lineup, is a great teammate and citizen, is durable, and has won a title.

By that standard, there’s never been a player on the Red Sox that you’ve loved.

I guess this is like the equivalent of Billy King sending multiple future first-round picks to Boston for aging PP34 and KG but probably worse based on reactions lol.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)