Author Topic: Celtics 12th most desirable destination for free agents  (Read 3515 times)

Celtics 12th most desirable destination for free agents
« on: June 30, 2009, 10:40:37 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1557
Colin Cowherd read an article that looked at objective and subjective factors to rate the desirability of every NBA team.  The Celtics were 12th on the list, with weather and taxes being the two big negatives.

The Lakers were of course #1, the rest of the top six (I forget the exact order) were Dallas, Houston, Miami, Orlando, and Phoenix.  The common theme is great weather locations and in the case of the Florida and Texas teams, no state income tax.

I can't find the link to the article, but still found it interesting.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Re: Celtics 12th most desirable destination for free agents
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 10:42:44 AM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I was listening as well.

Here it is

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/steve_aschburner/06/29/free.agent.ranks/index.html?eref=T1

12. Boston: All that lore and all those banners seem to mean more to players once they're inside the Celtics' mystique rather than from the outside. It's as if they have to get indoctrinated, have Bill Russell show up in the locker room or John Havlicek drop by practice, to connect the dots. Some NBA players question the friendliness of the city itself -- that was an issue about which Kevin Garnett placed a few phone calls in the summer of 2007 -- but current ownership seems willing to do what it takes to win.

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 10:49:02 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
That surprising  :) I'm guess we've improved dramatically over the last 2 years.

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 11:17:20 AM »

Offline Gainesville Celtic

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1331
  • Ainge *still* has a Posse! Ubuntu Y'all
I love it when they say Florida has warm weather... do these folks realize HOW warm it gets? last week was M-I-S-E-R-A-B-L-E.... 100 degrees, 1000% humidity.... ugh.

I've lived in Chicago and Boston and its not like players are sitting in the snow waiting for the T....I'd much rather live in Chicago/Boston than Phoenix or Orlando... but that's just me.
GC's Yahoo! H2h League: Gainesville Celtics: 2014, 2016, 2017 Champs!

GC's Yahoo! H2h League permanent website (offseason roster, constitution, etc.) * Lucky was framed!

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 11:34:00 AM »

Offline toinewalka

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 18
Different players are also about different things.  Some like to go where the money is, some go where the weather and parties are, some go where their family is, some go where security is, some go where they can be the star, and some go where the winning is.  I'm not really surprised where the Celtics are on that list, and that's the reason the players we are attracting at discounts are veterans that want a ring.  We don't have the weather, the girls, the parties, or the money, but we play the game right and give them a chance to be popping champagne for a reason, not just on the beach.

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2009, 11:35:16 AM »

Offline bobdelt

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 26
I love it when they say Florida has warm weather... do these folks realize HOW warm it gets? last week was M-I-S-E-R-A-B-L-E.... 100 degrees, 1000% humidity.... ugh.

I've lived in Chicago and Boston and its not like players are sitting in the snow waiting for the T....I'd much rather live in Chicago/Boston than Phoenix or Orlando... but that's just me.

Yeah but the NBA season is over, they dont have to be there at all if they don't want.

I agree with you though, year-end I'd rather have the cold. I think. I say that not but I'm sure I'll be cursing the opposite in January.

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2009, 11:36:52 AM »

Offline Hoyo de Monterrey

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 669
Some NBA players question the friendliness of the city itself -- that was an issue about which Kevin Garnett placed a few phone calls in the summer of 2007 -- but current ownership seems willing to do what it takes to win.

I don't see what the big deal is... We're wicked f------ friendly.

;D
"Let me call him," Floyd said.

The man shook his head. "O.J. doesn't give out his cell," he said. "He'll call you."

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2009, 11:54:32 AM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 596
I think its that NE accent that cost the C's some points :P
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2009, 12:58:24 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2419
It would have been a more interesting article if he ignored the present state of the teams ... the level of playing talent on their rosters.

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2009, 01:09:49 PM »

Offline QuinielaBox

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 139
Phoenix is more desirable than Boston? - well maybe three years ago that was true. But Phoenix seems to be at a dead end basketball wise and is going the way of Sacremento and others. Memphis and even the Clippers show more promise at this point.
Wins are few, times are hard. Here is your bleeping St Patricks Day Card.

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2009, 01:11:39 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1623
  • What a Pub Should Be
I'd go on to add that the lack of a state income tax in Florida and Texas add to their draws.

Some big time savings there for wealthy athletes.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2009, 01:30:33 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1557
Phoenix is more desirable than Boston? - well maybe three years ago that was true. But Phoenix seems to be at a dead end basketball wise and is going the way of Sacremento and others. Memphis and even the Clippers show more promise at this point.
Phoenix is absolutely more desirable than Boston.  It isn't close.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2009, 01:54:04 PM »

Offline Prof. Clutch

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 237
  • Mind Games
Some NBA players question the friendliness of the city itself -- that was an issue about which Kevin Garnett placed a few phone calls in the summer of 2007 -- but current ownership seems willing to do what it takes to win.

My god, I hope he isn't referring to that bogus and played out stereotype that gets repeated over and over again about Boston not being friendly to black athletes.  I forget who it was that reported just before the Garnett trade that Kevin didn't want to come here because it was a racist city.  I think it was Stephen A. or Skip Bayless.

Anyway, I hate that this is still something people talk about like it had any current factual basis.  It's not true and it makes me sick when I hear it.  Hopefully he was just talking about how fans and media in general have high expectations and can be rough on their sports teams.

It's not our fault we love too much...

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2009, 02:07:42 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 596

My god, I hope he isn't referring to that bogus and played out stereotype that gets repeated over and over again about Boston not being friendly to black athletes.  I forget who it was that reported just before the Garnett trade that Kevin didn't want to come here because it was a racist city.  I think it was Stephen A. or Skip Bayless.

Anyway, I hate that this is still something people talk about like it had any current factual basis.  It's not true and it makes me sick when I hear it.  Hopefully he was just talking about how fans and media in general have high expectations and can be rough on their sports teams.

at least you didnt have an espn "Outside the Lines" special about how  much of a redneck and racist town Green Bay is. One of my all time favorite made-up news stories.
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2009, 02:25:54 PM »

Offline Prof. Clutch

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 237
  • Mind Games

at least you didnt have an espn "Outside the Lines" special about how  much of a redneck and racist town Green Bay is. One of my all time favorite made-up news stories.

I remember that.  I forget what their ridiculous body of evidence was to assert that opinion, but yes, it's frustrating when your city gets labeled like that.  Those sorts of things, even if they are not true, start to perpetuate themselves as common knowledge more and more as they get told.