Author Topic: Danny, we are not playing until the game clock is fixed!  (Read 4964 times)

Danny, we are not playing until the game clock is fixed!
« on: May 02, 2008, 03:52:35 PM »

Offline The Big 3

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 4
I personally believe Celtics lost the control of game three the second game clock was "malfunctioning".

I personally believe the malfunction was not an innocent incident unless a plug can unplug itself.

I personally believe the Hawks benefit much more than Celtics from no game clock and air horn; especially the guy controls the game horn works fot the Hawks;

Danny/Doc, I believe you are one of the "guests currently viewing this post", take note and tell the Philips Arena guy/TNT/ESPN whoever insists that we play without a game clock:

"NO! We are not playing unless the game clock is fixed/floor is cleaned."

I don't mind home team having certain advantages over the road team. What I can't accept is cheap tricks like this: if they could do something like this, how about next time in Boston we just make the basket on our side the size of a Dunkin Donuts coffee cup??
It's our job (fans) to point out what is wrong with the team, it's the coach's job NOT to listen to us.

Re: Danny, we are not playing until the game clock is fixed!
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2008, 03:54:28 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
What was the excuse for Game 4?
Yup

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008, 04:03:50 PM »

Offline sns0274

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 14
I personally believe Celtics lost the control of game three the second game clock was "malfunctioning".

I personally believe the malfunction was not an innocent incident unless a plug can unplug itself.

I personally believe the Hawks benefit much more than Celtics from no game clock and air horn; especially the guy controls the game horn works fot the Hawks;

Danny/Doc, I believe you are one of the "guests currently viewing this post", take note and tell the Philips Arena guy/TNT/ESPN whoever insists that we play without a game clock:

I don't mind home team having certain advantages over the road team. What I can't accept is cheap tricks like this: if they could do something like this, how about next time in Boston we just make the basket on our side the size of a Dunkin Donuts coffee cup??

Too bad Danny or doc couldn't do that. Paraphrasing the rules, as long as it is equal, there is no reason to gripe. So as long as the 24 second clock at the other end is turned off, it is considered equal. Can't blame the game 3 loss on the shot clock, Doc or any other external force. I was there and the C's came out lethargic and very lackadaisical, the Hawks came out with intensity and wanting the game more and that is how it ended in us getting spanked.
Guns don't kill people, stupid people with guns kill people

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2008, 04:19:29 PM »

Offline BCelts

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 13

Too bad Danny or doc couldn't do that. Paraphrasing the rules, as long as it is equal, there is no reason to gripe. So as long as the 24 second clock at the other end is turned off, it is considered equal. Can't blame the game 3 loss on the shot clock, Doc or any other external force. I was there and the C's came out lethargic and very lackadaisical, the Hawks came out with intensity and wanting the game more and that is how it ended in us getting spanked.

We should bring floor mountable 24 second shot clocks (like you see in the europeans games) just in case they pull that crap again.  I can imagine:

ATL Scorekeeper:  Oh, the 24 second clock is out again!

Doc:  Don't worry, we brought our own in case this happened.  We'll even set them up for you.

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2008, 04:58:43 PM »

Offline Schupac

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 235
Well, I don't think we can blame it all on the shotclock, but it definitely favored the hawks.

The Celtics are a slow-down execution offense.  The Hawks try to play by the "7 seconds or less" rule to score... so who would be more hurt by no knowledge of the shot clock?

Also, it's pretty easy for the home crowd to completely drown out the PA announcer on the Cs possession's so they have no idea how much time is left, then be quiet when the Hawk's have the ball.

And of course, having one (or two) men who are employees of one team in charge of something like this just fuels the fire of conspiracy theorists.  Personally, I don't think it was intentional, but this is the *3rd* time this year ATL has had problems with their shot clocks.  That's unacceptably negligent.  Sorry, if you want to make money in this league off your arena you have to keep it up to certain standards.

What really made me mad in game 3 was that they are having something fairly important handled entirely over the PA system, but they still didn't stop the canned "De-Fense" chants, or blaring music in the background.

Did it cost the Cs the game?  I don't know, but I doubt it.  Did it gave the Hawks an unfair advantage?  I believe so.

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2008, 05:00:38 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!

We should bring floor mountable 24 second shot clocks (like you see in the europeans games) just in case they pull that crap again.  I can imagine:

ATL Scorekeeper:  Oh, the 24 second clock is out again!

Doc:  Don't worry, we brought our own in case this happened.  We'll even set them up for you.

That made me laugh out loud...and a Tommy Point for you, sir.

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2008, 05:09:41 PM »

Offline DannyZ

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76
Did you guys see the Hawks new high-tech scoreboard?

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2008, 05:26:22 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
How can you not have them working in an NBA arena? Plus its the third time, you should lose a home play-off game if this happens.

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2008, 05:40:48 PM »

Offline Frontierboy

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25
I guess it takes a while to replace shot clocks...... I mean, the teams only have millions of dollars ..... they can't seem to afford a new shot clock

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2008, 05:42:30 PM »

Offline Eeyore III

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 48
I agree 100% with the OP.  In fact, even as the fraud--I mean, SNAFU--was beginning, and our revved-up vets were sitting around staring into space instead of starting the third period and crushing the Hawks, the way they often do against weak teams in the third period, I turned to VT Hillbilly and said that I could feel the air going out of our lineup.

And don't forget the play where Ragin' Rajon drove to the hoop just as the Hawks' employee who was orally counting off the seconds got to "5", and a nanosecond later it suddenly was a 24-second violation.  The whole thing stunk to high heaven.

The Association ought to require back-up floor clocks to be available at all games.  
"People don't understand, if you can't live the rest of your life off one year in the NBA, you can't live off 21." -- Keon Clark

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2008, 05:52:48 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
How can you not have them working in an NBA arena? Plus its the third time, you should lose a home play-off game if this happens.

I agree.  Tonight would be the prefect time for them to lose one. ;D
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2008, 07:06:33 PM »

Offline tanner

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 33
shotclock malfunction and scoring errors--wouldn't pass anything over with this scorers table.

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2008, 07:24:58 PM »

Offline CoachCowens

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 9
I could live with the shot clock malfunction if the NBA fixed the Foul disparity.

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2008, 08:27:07 PM »

Offline jay_jay54

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 266
It all sounds/seems a little prehistoric NBA(1950's) type basketball,in reference this supposedly malfunctioning of the shot clock.With all the advancements in the  game over the years,why haven't they perfected something,such as a backup.I wonder if the "lights went out in Georgia",do they have  backup lighting?...i think,there should a fine or someone held accountable for it.I could see if it was a regular season game,but its the playoffs.